Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be hungry again???

I'm about 3 1/2 weeks post op and ever since my surgery I have never been hungry. You would think that is a good thing, but to me it is not. It is messing with me psychologically and physically as I'm always tired. I'm taking my Vitamins and minerals, but I need more. Also, when I make myself eat something I can't even get a bite down without feeling nauseous. Drinking Water is a struggle as well as I'm always thirsty and can never drink enough to quench my thirst without wanting to throw up first. I need help. Will the urge to want to eat ever come back?

We say it all the time but it is true: it all gets better & easier. It just takes time especially while you are still healing & recovering from what was a pretty major surgery. The lethargy will improve as you start to feel better & can eat a little more & eat more substantial food. Try adding an electrolyte drink to your daily Fluid intake for a little boost of energy. Ask your doctor for some anti nausea meds to tide you over & allow you to eat without feeling unwell. .

And yes you will feel hungry again but it maybe different as you discover & understand the difference between head hunger & real hunger. When you start to feel real hunger again is individual though for most it returns before the end of your first year. Embrace this time of not being hungry.

The head games can be very difficult. How can I survive on so little food? How can I not be hungry it’s dinner time? Etc. Were you referred to a therapist pre surgery? Can you make contact again? If not, ask your surgeon for a referral/recommendation. A therapist can support you as you work through the head work.

yes. Most of us do lose our hunger for awhile, and for the vast majority, it returns sometime during the first year. For me, it came back at five months out - and to be honest, I wish it never had. Although it was bizarre to get used to never being hungry, it was never in my life easier to lose weight those first few months when I was never hungry and didn't give a flip about food.

I had no hunger and had to force myself to eat for the first 3 months. Eating was a total chore, but after eating myself into morbid obesity, not giving a flying f**k about food was liberating. My hunger came back around the 4th month and it's back to normal now. No matter how much Water I drink, I always feel low-key dehydrated. I've come to just accept that this is my new normal now.

Things take some time to re-adjust after a major surgery like this. Your entire system has been re-wired and re-configured and your body has a hell of a job healing from it and adjusting to it. Give it and yourself time. 3 and a half weeks is barely out of the hospital. It gets better, everyone will tell you this because it's true, but it will take time. It's all absolutely worth it, though.

I am 5 months post-op and still NEVER hungry. It is weird, but relieving. I know it is making this process easier and I appreciate that. But also weird in the way that we are always told not to eat if we aren't hungry but that is not my lift. Just eat to hit my goals and nourish my body. It is a nice change from just over eating for fun basically.

My team Dietician makes it clear that your hunger will come back with a vengeance and to take this time to train your brain for new eating habits while it is easier. Once it comes back it will be easier to get our mind and body on the same page.

People generally get their appetite back around 4-6 months out. Mine came back at 5.5 months out. I do still have days where I have no appetite though and some where I feel hungry almost constantly (I snack on fruit or veggies those days because if I'm hungry I'm going to try to eat healthy in between meals. Especially considering how many things I've had to cut out because of my MCAS 😥).

I am 9 months out and never have hunger. Its a massive boon. I hope it never ever comes back

I'm about 3 1/2 weeks post op and ever since my surgery I have never been hungry. You would think that is a good thing, but to me it is not. It is messing with me psychologically and physically as I'm always tired. I'm taking my Vitamins and minerals, but I need more. Also, when I make myself eat something I can't even get a bite down without feeling nauseous. Drinking Water is a struggle as well as I'm always thirsty and can never drink enough to quench my thirst without wanting to throw up first. I need help. Will the urge to want to eat ever come back?

Sounds like the urge to eat and drink is there but you get nauseous when you do, right? If so, I would contact your doctor. A little nausea is normal but not every single time you eat or drink.

As arabesque suggested, the nausea meds your doctor will likely prescribe should help considerably in making eating feel less like torture. It is a bit of a chore for some early out because eating when you don’t feel hungry seems like a waste of time but just try to remind yourself you are eating to fuel and nourish your body. As others have suggested you may miss this period once it’s gone because it will never be this easy to choose the healthier option as it is when your body isn’t screaming out for food.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I am 3 years out and still do not experience “hunger” in the traditional sense. I’ve had to learn what other cues my body is sending me to let me know it’s time to eat. For example, I will get a dull headache just above the bridge of my nose and my teeth will ache.

I am 3 months out (time does fly) and I still don't have the hunger I remember pre-surgery. If I go too long between meals I'll start to feel weak and "off" and count the hours since last I ate and usually is over 6 but never hungry. I have Snacks in my mini fridge at work to fill in if I start feeling iffy before a meal is due but I have never needed them. I always carry beef Jerky with me just in case. I am usually good with 3 small meals a day. I seldom hit 800 calories and I seldom feel rundown or weak. My body is operating in a way I never knew it could.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about antinausea meds. It's not unreasonable to think you would still need them so early on. That should help you get some fluids and food down to start helping you feel better.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

I wish my hunger never came back but it did! I have to day that it's is WAY more manageable than it ever was before surgery. I get small hunger pangs, NOTHING like the raging "hangriness" I used to have. I get hungry now but it's just like "oh, I need to eat" but I don't feel like I'll go crazy if I don't get food like I used to.
It still amazes me that if I am busy I just forget to eat now. That NEVER happened to me before.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app