Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you stop buying new clothes?

Getting surgery in October. I’ve got some work events coming and my closet is pathetic right now. Would like to refresh it a little bit but I’ve got surgery coming up. I know the weight will take time to fall off but I’m in that weird area so not sure what to do. When did you stop buying clothes?

Bonus: if you’ve had the surgery, when did you need to start buying new clothes?

I had to buy smaller clothes after 2 weeks because of the presurgical liquid diet (2 weeks), then I lost a lot immediately post surgery, and it hurt to much to put on any pants other than sweats.

I only bought sweats as I lost over the past year since I had kept all my smaller sizes from years back. I only just bought real clothes after 6 months out.

I didn't buy anything before surgery. 9 months later and I have given away my entire wardrobe, sizes 14-28, and am only buying 2 outfits for any given size while I wait to level out.

I was blowing through sizes so fast that I bought everything except for underwear at thrift stores (like Goodwill). Actually, I still get most of my clothes there, and I've been in maintenance for over five years!

I stopped pre-surgery and just put up with my fat clothes getting loose until they were really like wearing a tent. I had smaller clothes in my wardrobe from when I was smaller and/or had previously lost some weight, so I had a range of clothes to "move into" as the weight came off. Once those clothes started turning into tents, I bought second hand jeans and tops off Ebay and at op-shops/goodwill. I'm still doing that, but now that I'm almost at goal, I've bought a few items that should last me to my goal. If they look a little big, they're only one size different so I should get away with keeping them in rotation.

When I lost about 60lbs I had to begin buying new clothes and wearing the old baggy stuff at home. When buying new stuff I'm naughty. I go into my local M & S store and try clothes on to see which size I fit now. I buy M & S items new from Ebay at a fraction of the cost. As I dont go out that much I can get away with 3 outfits and a dress for special occasions. My old stuff that does not fit anymore goes to a charity shop. I seem to be going down sizes quite quick so I am always on the look out for a bargain

It really depends on your budget whether you should buy clothes. I mean it’s best to love the skin your in and of course that’s easier to do if you at least have clothes that fit you appropriately at every size. You will most likely drop a chunk of weight during pre op and then the first few pounds come of pretty quickly post op so if you buy new clothes you won’t be wearing them long. You may want to consider consignment or thrift stores for a while if you don’t want to invest a ton of money in clothing. But I say that we usually feel better about ourselves when we look our best so if the budget permits then buy a few outfits to carry you through and donate them or give to a friend when you are ready to size down.

I had an array of sizes from years of loss and gains. Ranging from 4x-1x and 28-18.

I only bought very few things so far. I bought a few shirts just because they were cute and I could. I also bought 1 nice out fit for when I needed to dress up. (Which is now too big so I need another dressier outfit)

I am in my smallest jeans that I have on hand now, and still have shirts that will last through a bit more weight loss.

I try to only buy a few things because I know they won't fit very long. The problem I have now is that I am going to Florida in October and ALL of my summer clothes (other than some t shirts) are already on the looser side so I know they will be too big by October.

I am kind of stressed out about it because things fit me way different now and I HAVE to try things on, so finding summer clothes in Sept./October is going to be impossible in stores.

It is going to be a cycle of Amazon order and return, order and return until I find a few things that fit correctly for vacation. Including a bathing suit as my current one is already too big.

When I hit my goal I plan on a mega shopping spree. hehe

4 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

I had an array of sizes from years of loss and gains. Ranging from 4x-1x and 28-18.

I only bought very few things so far. I bought a few shirts just because they were cute and I could. I also bought 1 nice out fit for when I needed to dress up. (Which is now too big so I need another dressier outfit)

I am in my smallest jeans that I have on hand now, and still have shirts that will last through a bit more weight loss.

I try to only buy a few things because I know they won't fit very long. The problem I have now is that I am going to Florida in October and ALL of my summer clothes (other than some t shirts) are already on the looser side so I know they will be too big by October.

I am kind of stressed out about it because things fit me way different now and I HAVE to try things on, so finding summer clothes in Sept./October is going to be impossible in stores.

It is going to be a cycle of Amazon order and return, order and return until I find a few things that fit correctly for vacation. Including a bathing suit as my current one is already too big.

When I hit my goal I plan on a mega shopping spree. hehe

Gotta love Amazon try before you buy option for a situation like that.

The Question: “When did you stop buying new clothes?”

My Answer: Never! 😂

With that said though, “New Clothes” purchases started its significant rise around 4 months (when i shrunk out of my horde of “skinny clothes” i kept over the years); peaked at about 1 year (omg i was a shopaholic around that time), and levelled off since then (i’ll be 4 yrs post in October).

If resources allow, i say there ain’t nothing wrong at all with getting some cute outfits that fit PROPERLY….looking good generally makes you FEEL good, which does wonders for your confidence, which makes all the difference with dealing with life in general (including weight loss/maintenance!)

Good Luck! ❤️

That is a tough one with work events coming up, and surgery soon after. I wonder if you could find something on clearance, end of season? Or at a thrift shop?

I had saved a lot of clothes over the years and was able to get through the weight loss stages without buying too much. I really started to build my wardrobe again about seven months after surgery. Since then, I have lost maybe 12 more pounds.

A tip if you are female: dresses are more forgiving in changing sizes, than pants. For example, I have a short-sleeve size 2X dress with an elastic waist, that has fit me nicely with probably an 80 pound difference. I did have to stitch the arm holes tighter because they were too wide. Whereas pants will fall off if they are a size or two too big.

The Question: “When did you stop buying new clothes?”
My Answer: Never! [emoji23]
With that said though, “New Clothes” purchases started its significant rise around 4 months (when i shrunk out of my horde of “skinny clothes” i kept over the years); peaked at about 1 year (omg i was a shopaholic around that time), and levelled off since then (i’ll be 4 yrs post in October).
If resources allow, i say there ain’t nothing wrong at all with getting some cute outfits that fit PROPERLY….looking good generally makes you FEEL good, which does wonders for your confidence, which makes all the difference with dealing with life in general (including weight loss/maintenance!)
Good Luck! [emoji3590]
Ha ha ha I was gonna say the same thing. I'll NEVER stop buying new clothes! [emoji23]

I have been a pretty consistent size for the past 6 months or so though, so I don't HAVE to buy new stuff. But I still do. [emoji12]

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/16/2022 at 3:29 PM, Esi said:

That is a tough one with work events coming up, and surgery soon after. I wonder if you could find something on clearance, end of season? Or at a thrift shop?

I had saved a lot of clothes over the years and was able to get through the weight loss stages without buying too much. I really started to build my wardrobe again about seven months after surgery. Since then, I have lost maybe 12 more pounds.

A tip if you are female: dresses are more forgiving in changing sizes, than pants. For example, I have a short-sleeve size 2X dress with an elastic waist, that has fit me nicely with probably an 80 pound difference. I did have to stitch the arm holes tighter because they were too wide. Whereas pants will fall off if they are a size or two too big.

I am still wearing my elastic waisted skirts from before surgery. I have had to turn them up because not having a big bum and stomach anymore, they were sweeping the floor.

I would buy as little as possible pre-surgery. Like others have said, recommend clearance or thrift store.

I am 1.5 years post surgery. I bought clothes at every size. I found a store that sells Department store (Macys) close outs and sells them for $10. I was there constantly buying things as I lost weight. Became really friendly with the store clerk!

My weight has been constant for months now, but I have so much fun trying and buying clothes, I still get things, but only if I love them and they’re a good price. I went from a size 18 to now holding steady for over eight months as a size four. I’m hoping to have plastic surgery to remove my extra skin by the end of the year, so I treated myself to two pairs of post-surgery pants I hope to fit in later. I also bought a dress my husband thinks I’m too old for, just because I can!

Save your money now and enjoy the journey!