Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I not losing weight? Banded 5 months ago.

It's really hard to say without seeing the labels but from your example menu, I'd say try to increase your Fiber content. I'm also not a big fan of Breakfast, but I try to down a pack of instant oatmeal for fiber. Also, there are some Southwestern chicken wraps and turkey club wraps that you can find in the deli section (near the Lunchables usually) that have 15 grams of fiber per serving and less than 300 calories. I forget the name brand but I love the Southwestern chicken and the asian chicken wraps. Very yummy.

I find that when I am in a slump, if I up my fiber content, it really helps.

Good Luck...

Make sure you are not only recording what you eat but also what you DRINK. You might not count that glass of milk or the coffeemate in your coffee.< /p>

Also you might be underestimating the size of portions and not counting some calorie intakes.

A few years back I was on a liquid diet and we were to keep very strict food records and the numbers really did add up correctly for lbs lost vs calories/exercise intake that week. The numbers could sometimes come in a bit off, but that is due to Water gain/loss mostly. If you notice the first week or two that you are on a liquid diet you lose a much bigger amount of weight than for the following weeks if you continued, and that is due to you losing some retained water.

An article by my old doctor that might shed a bit of insight :

Weight, Diet, Diabetes, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure

His articles are always very interesting, and he always gets straight to the point of the matter..

Another article he wrote on calories itself, might shed a bit of light on what calories are and why low calorie diets are a must for losing weight:

Weight, Diet, Diabetes, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure

If you can't tolerate the unflavored protien powder in your coffee, try powdered milk. I absolutely love Creamer in my coffee but changed to powdered milk cuz it actually has protien in it. 8grams per 1/3 cup. If you have a big enough cup of coffee you can add the whole serving of powdered milk to get the protien. Also, I replace Pasta with squash, zuccini, or eggplant. I am so tight right now I can't down any type of pasta if I tried, but I sliver it up and eat it like spaghetti. Also I make lasagna but instead of noodles I use thinly sliced eggplant, plus to get extra veggies in I add fresh spinach into the layers. There was a thread on here about soy noodles that are just like spaghetti noodles, you could look for those in your grocer's all natural isle. I also agree that the bad carbs you are consuming are keeping you from loosing.

Thanks for the continued feedback!

I'm willing to try anything at this point so I'll cut down drastically on carbs for a week and see what my results are. I'll have to plan all my meals because I have no clue what I'll eat.

I agree I need another fill and have one scheduled this week.

Thanks for the continued feedback!

I'm willing to try anything at this point so I'll cut down drastically on carbs for a week and see what my results are. I'll have to plan all my meals because I have no clue what I'll eat.

I agree I need another fill and have one scheduled this week.

I totally relate to your comment that you don't know what you'll eat.

When I first became vegetarian I realized I was pretty darn hungry, there was nothing I liked that I could eat. It took a lot of trial and error but I eventually learned all kinds of things I really liked.

Yellow squash, slice them the long way, scoop out the middle, replace with diced celery, garlic, bell pepper, onions, whatever you like. Put it back like a twice baked potato, bake, sprinkle with favorite cheese, you are done. It's cheap, it's healthy, it has flavor, and it's GREAT. Do the same thing with Zucchini.

Spaghetti Squash... use like you would Pasta, just try to avoid high cal cheese. But if you have to use cheese to get used to it, just try to find a low fat cheese. Again, cheap, healthy, band friendly, filling, and good.

salad w/o lettuce. Take all your favorite veggies that you would usually top a salad with and cut them up, marinate in Italian dressing, enjoy. Cheap, healthy, band friendly, filling, and good.

Veggies & eggs.< /p>

Veggie Chili. I have a recipe for Wendy's Chili. Make it without meat and add extra Beans or veggies of your choice.

There are all kinds of ideas. Just get the veggies you like best and start working with them and see what you come up with.

Wassa that Wendy's chili without meat sounds great. I am not a vegitarian but I do love Wendy's chili. And I love Beans. OOOO my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Yellow squash, slice them the long way, scoop out the middle, replace with diced celery, garlic, bell pepper, onions, whatever you like. Put it back like a twice baked potato, bake, sprinkle with favorite cheese, you are done. It's cheap, it's healthy, it has flavor, and it's GREAT. Do the same thing with Zucchini.

Spaghetti Squash... use like you would Pasta, just try to avoid high cal cheese. But if you have to use cheese to get used to it, just try to find a low fat cheese. Again, cheap, healthy, band friendly, filling, and good.

salad w/o lettuce. Take all your favorite veggies that you would usually top a salad with and cut them up, marinate in Italian dressing, enjoy. Cheap, healthy, band friendly, filling, and good.

Veggies & eggs.

Veggie Chili. I have a recipe for Wendy's Chili. Make it without meat and add extra Beans or veggies of your choice.

There are all kinds of ideas. Just get the veggies you like best and start working with them and see what you come up with.

Wow... thanks so much for this info. I am not vegetarian, but this sounds delicious! I am going to try the baked squash!

My surgeon supports eating the "protein first"! And with eating 1/2 - 3/4 cup per meal, your Protein would be all you'd have room for!

I have oatmeal for Breakfast (with one teaspoon of brown sugar), tuna for lunch, and then some chicken / veggies for dinner. I insert a Protein shake mid-morning and mid-evening.

That Protein Shake is SO satisfying! It honestly makes you not-hungry for anything else! If the canned shakes turn you off (they DO for me), use Protein powder mixed in Water or skim milk.

Calories are not all the same--because your body processes foods differently--and your starch carbs should be abandoned, m'dear. Sorry!

My metabolism is super slow too--in fact I honestly wondered whether the Band would do me any good because I felt I was eating so little!

Good luck and let us know how it goes... :hungry:

Maybe a quality breakfast would help as well. There are lots of vegetarian breakfast options. I am a slow loser too and I can relate! The coffee for breakfast jumped out at me though. Good luck sweetie!

Aza,

You are a good sport, and thanks for starting such an informative thread. Best of luck to you with your continued weight loss effort!

Wassa that Wendy's chili without meat sounds great. I am not a vegitarian but I do love Wendy's chili. And I love Beans. OOOO my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Wendy's Chili

2 lbs ground beef

1-29 oz can Tomato sauce

1-29 oz can kidney Beans (with liquid)

1-29 oz can pinto beans (with liquid)

1 C diced onion (1 medium onion)

1/2 C diced green chili (2 chilis)

1/4 c diced celery (1 stalk)

3 medium tomatoes, chopped

2 tsp cumin powder

3 Tbls chili power

1.5 tsp black pepper

2 tsp salt

2 C Water

Brown ground beef in skillet over medium heat, drain off fat.

Using a fork crumble the cooked beef into pea size pieces.

In a large pot combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes for 2-3 hours.

Makes 12 servings.

Leftovers may be frozen for several months.

For a vegetarian version just bump up the amount of beans, add some veggies (I would add broccoli, more onions, zucchini, etc.) and skip the hamburger.

Wow... thanks so much for this info. I am not vegetarian, but this sounds delicious! I am going to try the baked squash!

My sis isn't vegetarian and when I made the yellow squash for her I mixed in a bit of Canadian bacon, she loved it. She won't eat anything. :)

Aza, I would try eating some breakfast too. I've always heard that breakfast gets your matobolism going in the mornings. Even if it the coffee and 1egg or even an apple is better than nothing. I also take benefiber chewables when I feel like I am not getting enough Fiber.

Wassa, thanks for that chili recipe!!!!

YUM, the foods sound amazing. I am a vegetarian as well and these were some amazing food ideas. I've never heard of Spagetti squash!

Also, the Wendy's Chili sounds delish and instead of meat you could use Smart Ground veggie beef, it's made out of soy and really does taste like ground beef, same texture but very good for your and loaded with Protein. I also love the morning star Veggie chicken Nuggets, loaded with soy protien and actually pretty low in calories. Tastes great!! My mouth is watering just thinking about all this food. I've been on full liquids for 10 days now, 7 days post-op. On Christmas eve I'll be on mushies and I'm already prepping my menu!!

I normally didn't eat breakfast either but I learned something like 80% of obese people do not eat breakfast. Even though you may think you are saving on the calories, eating in the morning jump starts your metabolism and therefore you burn more calories through out the day. Grab a yogurt or protien shake. Anything that is loaded with Protein will get your body going and help shed some pounds..

Good Luck!

Spaghetti Squash is GREAT! You slice it in half, bake it, and when you take it out of the oven you use a fork and it comes out in strands just like spaghetti. You prepare it like you would Pasta, meat sauce, marinara sauce, alfredo sauce, parmesan and butter, anything you like. Good stuff. Much easier to eat for bandsters than pasta.