Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

Hi Buddies - Two weeks away and I've got a lot of head trash going on that I just need to get off my chest. ::deep breath::

Fair warning - this is kinda long, rambling and full of woe is me. Feel free to exit stage left now.

I am afraid. Not of surgery, not of complications, but of failure. I've tried so many things and failed. Or succeeded, then gained the weight back and then some more. I feel so out of control of my weight, I've gained steadily for two years straight. 50+lbs. Nothing stopped it, not even my usual approaches.

And I can't help but think, if starving myself didn't work in the past (I mentioned I've tried everything, including very low calorie diets) and led to regain plus some, why will this work? If I couldn't stop the gain, how will I possibly lose the 100lbs I need to lose? If I am in control of the successful outcome of the surgery based on adherence to the rules - then that makes me shake in my boots. I've been down that road before, "You will be successful if you just follow the program!" Didn't work so well obviously.

I'm feeling defeated because of my past, but trying to find hope. My hope is all the success stories. I'm almost hesitant to feel TOO hopeful because of my fear of failure.

I also know I'm not alone in how I feel, that many of you feel or felt the same. And if you don't feel this way, please don't let my fear become your fear! I KNOW you all will be successful!! It's my own failure that I'm all too familiar with.

Sorry to be so negative. I just had to get this **** out of my head and get honest with how I'm feeling.

1 hour ago, SleeveMeToIt said:

I am afraid. Not of surgery, not of complications, but of failure.

I think we all have this fear. I know I do. We're all here because we've repeatedly failed at other weight loss attempts.

Here's the thing: It's easy to compare WLS to a forced restrictive diet, but it's a lot more than that. Both Sleeve and Bypass actually change a lot more about your metabolic processes. Here's a quote from the ASMBS:

Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, such as gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, and duodenal switch work by changing the anatomy (or position) of the stomach and small intestines. This causes changes in appetite, satiety (feeling full), and metabolism (how the body burns calories).

Many of the hormonal signals that cause weight gain or inability to lose weight are affected by these procedures, and it becomes easier to lose weight. But this still requires a healthy diet and a good exercise routine. These procedures are tools to treat a chronic disease, and cannot work alone.

The important takeaway is that your sleeve is not just restricting what you can eat, it's fundamentally changing the way your digestive system works. It's a very effective tool, but you still have to eat right and exercise to be successful.

The way I think about it may be a bit simplistic, but I compare it to digging a hole. Can I dig a hole with my bare hands? I suppose I could, but it's going to take a long time and especially if I need it to be a big hole, It may simply be too much for me. Give me a shovel and now I have a tool specifically designed to dig holes. I will still have to put in a good bit of effort to dig that hole, but the shovel will help me be successful.

WLS is the same thing. I've been trying to "dig holes" with my bare hands. Now I'm going to be given a shiny new shovel.

Hi September buddies! I’ve had a crazy week after my surgery on 8/29. I’ve been struggling with gas pain and swelling; my tummy is so swollen and sore. I have huge bruising near my incision sites, too. I got really nauseated day before yesterday and started vomiting. I really felt terrible! So I ended up back at the surgery center to get IV fluids. I was really dehydrated. Im feeling sooo much better today! I have some meds for nausea now and lidocaine Patches for areas near my incisions that are very sore. Im still the same weight as my surgery day so I guess I should be thankful I didn’t gain due to all the swelling! Im living on Jello, Bone Broth, popsicles, and a LOT of water!

8 hours ago, SpartanMaker said:

I think we all have this fear. I know I do. We're all here because we've repeatedly failed at other weight loss attempts.

Here's the thing: It's easy to compare WLS to a forced restrictive diet, but it's a lot more than that. Both Sleeve and Bypass actually change a lot more about your metabolic processes. Here's a quote from the ASMBS:

The important takeaway is that your sleeve is not just restricting what you can eat, it's fundamentally changing the way your digestive system works. It's a very effective tool, but you still have to eat right and exercise to be successful.

The way I think about it may be a bit simplistic, but I compare it to digging a hole. Can I dig a hole with my bare hands? I suppose I could, but it's going to take a long time and especially if I need it to be a big hole, It may simply be too much for me. Give me a shovel and now I have a tool specifically designed to dig holes. I will still have to put in a good bit of effort to dig that hole, but the shovel will help me be successful.

WLS is the same thing. I've been trying to "dig holes" with my bare hands. Now I'm going to be given a shiny new shovel.

This. All of this. Thank you so much. What my brain knows to be true is getting clouded by the noise of my fear. I know I'm not alone, which is why it feels safe to share my head trash. I ultimately believe this will be successful, which is why I'm doing it. As a self pay patient no less! We can do this. We WILL do this. Getting shovel ready.

3 hours ago, Dogmom68 said:

Hi September buddies! I’ve had a crazy week after my surgery on 8/29. I’ve been struggling with gas pain and swelling; my tummy is so swollen and sore. I have huge bruising near my incision sites, too. I got really nauseated day before yesterday and started vomiting. I really felt terrible! So I ended up back at the surgery center to get IV fluids. I was really dehydrated. Im feeling sooo much better today! I have some meds for nausea now and lidocaine Patches for areas near my incisions that are very sore. Im still the same weight as my surgery day so I guess I should be thankful I didn’t gain due to all the swelling! Im living on Jello, Bone Broth, popsicles, and a LOT of water!

Dogmom - sorry you've been having a rough go at it, but sounds like you are on the upswing. Thanks for sharing your experience. Hang in there!

I’m schedule for September 6. I’m excited but feeling very nervous! I have canceled my previous appointments due to being so nervous. Not backing out now. 👌🏻

21 minutes ago, Angela_85 said:

I’m schedule for September 6. I’m excited but feeling very nervous! I have canceled my previous appointments due to being so nervous. Not backing out now. 👌🏻

If you are anxious the day of surgery they should be able to give you something to calm you down when you get there. I actually didn’t need it but thought I might so I asked about it.

15 hours ago, SleeveMeToIt said:

I am afraid. Not of surgery, not of complications, but of failure.

I feel this way too but not as strongly I guess. Its true that I've failed all of my diets, including times of extreme to no calories and I do worry that since those didn't work, then this won't either. But at the same time I've never had this tool that my stomach will be and I've never had as much support with a dietitian and exercise coach. I've also told everyone about the surgery and that will hopefully help with accountability. So I'm going into this with more hope than usual. That this time is the winner and I can't wait to see what the next year will hold. I can actually picture myself succeeding and that is not usual for me on any diet. So hopefully it'll be a great year for all of us :)

8 hours ago, Dogmom68 said:

I’ve had a crazy week after my surgery on 8/29.

I'm sorry that it has been a rough ride for you so far but I'm glad that you are feeling better now. Hopefully you got the worst out of the way right away and it will be smooth sailing from here on out. Can't wait to hear how you are doing once the swelling goes down. Thank you for the update!

On 9/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, La El said:

I got the call to be at the hospital at 10:00 am tomorrow. Surgery is around noon. Here we go!

Hope things went well today! Can't wait to hear how things went.

4 hours ago, Angela_85 said:

You got this! Just one day of stress and then a lifetime of rewards. I agree that they can probably give you something to help with the anxiety though.

Day 3 of the liquid diet and headache from lack of sugar and caffeine are kicking my tail. To top it off they said no pain relievers… How have y’all made it past this?

Had my VSG yesterday. Came home today. No nausea, no pain (of course that may pop up) lol

Now on to the Stage one for 14 days. - broth, and Premiere Protein Shakes, SF 1 popsicle . 1 SF Jello.

Hell9 all new to the group, scheduled surgery is September 15,the initially wanted the sleeve, but I've been having issues with Gerd so decided to switch to bypass, just started2 week post-op diet ,its hard 2 protien shakes a day and 3 oz protien, meat, salads, ect and snack if i get hungry which i do uugh but i got this i can do it