Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2022 surgery support

Hello everyone! My gastric bypass is scheduled for 10th of October. I have been on a waiting list since 15th of February 2021. I got all pre op check ups done last year, but had final check up before surgery 2 weeks ago (nutritionist, anesthesiologist and bloodwork). All was in place.

But then my bloodwork came back really bad. I have developed anemia and its severe enough they called my in to have IV transfusion plus taking extra Iron supplements with my pre op Vitamins.

Have new blood draw scheduled on 4th, so hope things improve enough to get approved.

My BMI is 50 so already had to start my liver shrinking pre-op diet, 3 week before surgery.

1 hour ago, Ayla85 said:

But then my bloodwork came back really bad. I have developed anemia and its severe enough they called my in to have IV transfusion plus taking extra Iron supplements with my pre op Vitamins.

oh, dear!! i know that was upsetting. Do you have a history of anemia?

Hey Hey! I just got my surgery date for October 19th doing the duodenal switch!!! I’m glad you are making changes already, I am too. Best wishes to you on your journey 🥳

1 hour ago, Bella30 said:

Hey Hey! I just got my surgery date for October 19th doing the duodenal switch!!! I’m glad you are making changes already, I am too. Best wishes to you on your journey 🥳

Me too October 19TH

On 9/20/2022 at 4:14 PM, COlvera16 said:

My surgeon is having me do a 10 day liquid diet so I will start that this weekend actually! My nerves are definitely starting to kick in! How are you feeling getting closer?

also getting super nervous.

Lucky you for only getting a 10 day liquid diet (jealous some 😂). My anxiety kicked in during my last check in when they told me they were submitting everything to insurance 😩 I think it’s more so of a good and anxious nerve than fear. I’m anticipating the outcome more than anything. I have scheduled an appointment with my therapist 1 week before surgery for extra support with my anxiety. What are you mostly nervous about?

Multivitamins, try BariMelts. Bariatric Advantage orange is not that great. Well it is better if you don’t chew and just let it slowly dissolve. My dr did advise can use Flintstone as well.

Bariatric Advantage calcium chews are good but later I will switch to the CVS brand after I heal up and see how things are tolerated.

Barimelts Vd3. B12. Biotin.< br />
Premier Protein. coffee one is not good, it has caffeine. Want to avoid caffeine after surgery.

Try premier Protein cake batter, Peanut Butter cup, Carmel, rootbeer is okay. I hear pumpkin spice was good.

muscle milk zero sugar vanilla, Chocolate and strawberry (they are less sweet than premier vanilla chocolate and strawberry)

Also use bariatric Advantage Fiber.
Vital Proteins non flavor.

Also you can sugar free sauces G Hughes sugar feee sauce, skinny girl dressing, and Jordan’s skinny syrups are good as well. I like use the syrups in the shakes. Like a mocha premiers chocolate shake, or I can caramel. Or to a Carmel shake I can add vanilla Syrup. Also syrups are good in black Decaf coffee with 1 pack if stevia.

Light cheese string, i buy the Walmart brand but I think it taste better at room temperature

Just know after surgery, your hormones will change and so will your taste buds.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:46 AM, 18kDays said:

Congrats to all my October buddies. My surgery date is October 3rd. I started my pre-op liquid diet yesterday and it seems surprisingly easy. I do wonder how I will feel about it next week though. I am isolated in my daily life. I am over 50, single with no kids at home or nearby, I work from home and live in a suburban area that is mostly made up of families and traveling plant workers and I don't know anyone - no support system in place. Who else is going through this completely alone? I am arranging paid transportation to the med center and a paid medical transport to bring me home following the procedure. For those of you who have had to go through this by yourself, did you feel able to manage alone post-op? What was the most difficult thing?

I'm sort of in a similar position, I do have a few family members 20+ min away but my dad is fighting a 15 year battle with chronic lymphatic leukemia and my mom is taking care of her older sister with alzheimers so basically an adult sized toddler. So I avoid asking either of them for anything. I have 1 daughter who just had a baby so don't ask her either other than to bring the baby to me to snuggle which helps a lot when im having a rough day but otherwise I'm disabled and stay home alone most of the time. I can definitely relate on the lack of a support system. I'm having a tough time getting enough Protein and drinking more on top of that. They want me on 80-100 grams of protein a day and so far 65g is as much as I've gotten and barely drank anything else. Not having any food at all is tough. I bought a ninja creami and have started freezing the fruit flavored clear protein and making it into sorbet so I feel like im actually eating something, next will be the chocolate one, I hope its like chocolate ice cream if so I think I'll have a much easier time tricking myself into getting the whole 80-100g in plus some more zero Gatorade on top of that. I'm often online not sure how but if it's possible to message me on here if you ever need a buddy to talk to id be happy to chat.

1 hour ago, Jan69 said:

Need some help on Multivitamins anything that you recommend. Oh trying Protein ready to drink shakes, Muscle max is so sweet tried coffee Premier Protein shake ok on ice any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Glucerna hunger smart chocolate is the one I've tolerated best and tastes the best to me. I'm lactose intolerant so I didn't have many choices from the list the dr gave me but I'm so glad to have found the glucerna I've bought about 15 6 packs lol don't try the powder of it tho, it's disgusting! I got some of the syntax nectar ones and they aren't too bad, haven't tried them all yet tho. But if you hate milky stuff like me the nectar ones I was very happy to find.

2 hours ago, Jan69 said:

Need some help on Multivitamins anything that you recommend. Oh trying Protein ready to drink shakes, Muscle max is so sweet tried coffee Premier Protein shake ok on ice any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I use the Bariatric Fusion chewables. it has everything i need and i dont need additional Calcium

10 hours ago, Jan69 said:

I joined a support group and was warned not to stock up on Protein Shakes before surgery as your tastes change for a few months after. People often stock up on what they like and then hate it once the surgery has been done. I was able to order a bunch of sample packets which i plan to try when i get home, then i can order what I like at that time. (im in Europe where the ready made shakes are not as plentiful or varied so making my own will be my go to.) So far Celebrate Vitamins and Bariatric fusion have been good. Bariatric fusion will even send you a free sample kit of their multivitamins both chew and chewable tablet as well as Calcium

chews!