Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks Post op

Ok guys & gals so I'm new here. 2 weeks post-op and I had my follow-up yesterday. I'm doing well as far as getting the weight off, I'm down about 20 lb. I tried my first bowl of oatmeal yesterday and only had two bites. I got so sick and threw up all day. I'm so afraid to eat. I've done well on liquids and did not deviate not one time. So I'm now so afraid to eat. Any suggestions on the puree stage I need help!!!!Screenshot_20220702-091545_FaceApp.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

Try something less dense. Or maybe thin out the oatmeal? Thinned out mashed potato or refried Beans? My first pureed food was egg salad. I don't know what your plan allows so these are just suggestions.

Good luck, don't be afraid just take it slow. You learn as you go.

Try something less dense. Or maybe thin out the oatmeal? Thinned out mashed potato or refried Beans? My first pureed food was egg salad. I don't know what your plan allows so these are just suggestions.
Good luck, don't be afraid just take it slow. You learn as you go.

Thank you so much. I did oatmeal in my body did not agree with that very much. This morning I tried very thin cream of wheat and so I'm holding on and hoping that this works. Thank you so much for the suggestion

2 minutes ago, Raisingphoenix78 said:

Thank you so much. I did oatmeal in my body did not agree with that very much. This morning I tried very thin cream of wheat and so I'm holding on and hoping that this works. Thank you so much for the suggestion

Yes ma'am!

Our bodies/bellies are weird now. I don't know what surgery you had but I had bypass. I have been lucky and pretty much able to eat anything but still sometimes something gets me.

For example, I can eat chicken. Any kind.. cooked any way you can imagine but I can't eat cold. I have tried twice and was sick for hours. Just have to learn as we go and if it is something important enough you can always try again a few weeks/months later.

1 hour ago, Raisingphoenix78 said:

Ok guys & gals so I'm new here. 2 weeks post-op and I had my follow-up yesterday. I'm doing well as far as getting the weight off, I'm down about 20 lb. I tried my first bowl of oatmeal yesterday and only had two bites. I got so sick and threw up all day. I'm so afraid to eat. I've done well on liquids and did not deviate not one time. So I'm now so afraid to eat. Any suggestions on the puree stage I need help!!!!Screenshot_20220702-091545_FaceApp.jpg

I did hummus and avocado spread. Just a spoonful of each. Maybe even try some sugar free pudding or greek yogurt. Definitely start off slow and go from there.

Did you skip roght over the cream of type Soups. Those were my next thing after liquids. I don’t love them but was happy to have something more substantial and they went down well. Just be sure to follow the directions and mix it with milk or Water so it’s thin.

Ooh I see now your on purée stage. Well still if thin oatmeal is too thick you may want to go back to thicker liquids for a day or two and then try it again.

1 minute ago, ShoppGirl said:

Did you skip roght over the cream of type Soups. Those were my next thing after liquids. I don’t love them but was happy to have something more substantial and they went down well. Just be sure to follow the directions and mix it with milk or Water so it’s thin.

I was full liquids the day I was home from the hospital. Only on strictly Clear Liquids for the first 2 days.

1 minute ago, kcuster83 said:

I was full liquids the day I was home from the hospital. Only on strictly Clear Liquids for the first 2 days.

Yea I was too I’m not sure what I was thinking. It’s been a while for me and I just wasn’t thinking I guess.

Wow, we have a stunning woman in our forum. Well done on your journey so far. Try a little boiled egg mashed with mayo. Try and find some Protein yogurt you like, try it with mashed strawberry or other berry fruit. It helps the bowels. I had to resort to tinned Soups with the bigger bits squashed with a fork. Many have mashed potato and gravy but it wasn't for me. Hummus is good especially if you can eat it with mashed avocado. I was allowed crispy melba toast as it melted in the mouth.

You can always go back a stage if you are struggling, its your journey, just keep up your protein quota

I was allowed rolled oats in purée but the instant version which is more processed. I made it on lots of milk & a serve lasted me days. I was also allowed scrambled eggs. Again thinned with extra milk. Think almost run off a spoon not plop/dollop thickness.

The first few weeks can be challenging because your tummy can be sensitive & fussy. Some people experience temporary intolerances like to milk (try lactose free) too. Sometime you can eat something one day but the next day it’s no way. Plus your senses of taste & smell can go haywire temporarily. So things you enjoyed before taste or smell awful.

I found Soup easiest. Also boiled eggs mashed with mayo & a high Protein yoghurt. I tried puréeing lots of meats thinning them with gravies, stock, milk, ricotta, Mayo, etc. Personally, I found puréed tinned fish disgusting but chicken thigh meat with gravy was great. It took a few tries (& thrown out meals) to find out what my tummy & taste buds enjoyed.

Yes ma'am!
Our bodies/bellies are weird now. I don't know what surgery you had but I had bypass. I have been lucky and pretty much able to eat anything but still sometimes something gets me.
For example, I can eat chicken. Any kind.. cooked any way you can imagine but I can't eat cold. I have tried twice and was sick for hours. Just have to learn as we go and if it is something important enough you can always try again a few weeks/months later.
Thank you, I ate oatmeal and my body said no but since I tried cream of wheat and mashed potatoes and did better

I'm on week 3, my doctor had me do the cream soups during my 2 weeks Post op of the sleeve. I ate oatmeal and my body said no but since I tried cream of wheat and mashed potatoes and did better . Thank you

Ooh I see now your on purée stage. Well still if thin oatmeal is too thick you may want to go back to thicker liquids for a day or two and then try it again.
Thank you, I ate oatmeal and my body said no but since I tried cream of wheat and mashed potatoes and did better