Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im 2 weeks out from surgery and things are going good for now, but I know that eventually Im going to have to start introducing and incorporating real food back into my diet and my calorie intake is going to get higher, I'm just terrified that once I do that even of its 4-500 calories my weight is going skyrocket! Has any one experienced weight gain durring their transitional phases? How did it work out? Did you have to start hitting the gym daily to continue loosing? Can you please share your stories. Thank u

Even at 800-1000 calories your body will still be in a pretty significant calorie deficit and you will lose. The higher the calories the slower of course. Some programs have calories Even higher than that a little further out. My team didn’t really give a calorie goal. Best to just go by your teams plan for you though. It’s hard but trust the process. It works.

You will likely soon hit the "three week stall" (do a search for it here) where your loss will slow or stop and possibly even increase a bit. This is entirely normal and totally unrelated to what food phase you are in (people who are still on liquids as well as those who have been on soft foods since the start go through it.) It has to do with the matter that initially you are losing a big chunk of Water weight associated with your glycogen stores (basically stored carbohydrate) being depleted due to your low calorie intake. Once that is depleted, your body shifts gears to burn your stored fat, which burns more slowly, so the weight loss slows a bit, too. Entirely normal. In our program they specifically tell us that their patients tend to do better as they move into real food - not strictly from a loss rate perspective, but for the sake of feeling better and more energetic, which leads to being more active and helping to maintain a more sustainable loss over the long haul.

I was starting to nibble at the gym again after a couple of weeks, not for the sake of boosting loss rate (it didn't need it...) but for maintaining the habit (and not allowing my wife to use me as an excuse for not going!) I was certainly not burning any more calories there than at home, but more just starting to get a bit more variety in activities.

I have had a rough ride with nausea and vomiting from day 1. My food and calorie intake was really poor. At about 4 months out my calories were about 350 to 500 a day. I just could not meet my Protein target. I just stopped loosing weight. It took me another 6 weeks of really hard work, sourcing different foods and trying to up my intake of protein. When I got to around 800 calories a day, my weight began to drop again. I felt so much better and stronger. I have just had a hotel holiday abroad and I have really struggled with the food. My Cal count went back down to 500. I didn't loose any weight once again. Despite all the walking, swimming and dancing I have done.

no, you won't - not with that large calorie deficit. As others have said, you'll hit stalls along the way and your weight may fluctuate occasionally by a pound or two, but if you stick to your clinic's plan, your trend will be down. I didn't start regaining until I hit my lowest weight (in the 130s), but it's VERY common to gain 10-20 lbs after hitting your lowest weight (the rebound gain is usually in year 2 or 3). But while you're in the losing phase, as long as you're sticking to your plan, no. You'll continue to lose.

Pretty much like others said, if you have a calorie deficit you WILL loose weight.

You may have stalls through the process but they will end and you will continue to loose weight. The larger you start the faster you loose because your calorie deficit is greater. As you get closer to a "normal size" your weight loss will slow because your calorie deficit is smaller. My dietician actually calculated my calorie deficit at my second visit when I was back onto solid foods and it was 18,590 calories a week! It is crazy how much I was eating to maintain the weight I was at!

Do not panic, just follow your plan and it works. We are all proof it works!