Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery 1 month ago and have been craving fruit like crazy. Is it too soon to start eating fruit or should I avoid it all together?

What does your plan say?

Then start slowly, just a couple of bites!

My Dr gave me NO DIRECTIONS WHAT SO EVER!
Mine has all been my trial & dump😹

Edited by toodlerue

Have you tried unsweetened apple sauce? That should be ok pre-solids, and give you a taste of fruit.

I didn’t have much direction when it came to fruit either. I just stayed away from things with seeds like strawberries and tougher skin like apples in the beginning.

My plan had said unsweetened applesauce was ok to be used to mix in crushed pills. So in that manner, fruit itself isn't a non-starter.

However, they also didn't want the extra Fiber soon after surgery. And the priority is always on Protein first.

Without your plans actual guidance it's hard to say. Myself at one month out would be ok with a little soft fruits - not going to fill up on it as that would take away from my protein goals. I don't think I'd eat a raw apple at this point - but perhaps one that's been stewed or cooked in a dish.

When I moved past the soft-food phase, I happily ate blueberries and strawberries as my first fruits post-surgery with no issues. They were a great snack choice, good nutrition, and easy to chew up.

They often say to hold off on fruit for a little while - partly due to the sugar content I think. Avoid skin, seeds, coarse/fibrous/hard (like apples & pears) flesh, etc. I was advised to begin with berries but the first fruit I had was watermelon. I think it was a couple of months out.

Check with your dietician to be sure.

I'm on soft food and I can have canned fruits like Peaches and pears in juice. I was VERY, VERY happy when I was allowed to have unsweetened applesauce. It's still the best tasting thing I've had so far.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon is avid about me getting 6 to 8 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. From the beginning he pushed it. Having said that, if you do decide to eat fruit this early on, avoid the ones with peels like grapes, apples and even cherries because I remember a couple of times I had a bad case of foamies because those darn little skins (even after chewing forever on them) getting caught up in my throat.