Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started and gaining already

Guest MissyMar

Guest MissyMar

Greetings all,

As a faithful reader of the last month or so, I feel I know many of you already. I really didn't expect to find myself actually messaging; thought I'd just gather info about this banding experience and get on with myself. Anyway, banded by Dr. Ortiz on 1/14. All went well - on the beach within two days and back to work the nest week. Basically followed the requirements of Clear Liquids week 1; mushies week 2 & 3 (although one might question my interpretation of "mushie"). Only lost about 5 lbs but knew I was in the healing phase and when the real food came all would kick-in. Well, that hasn't happened. It seems I've been able to eat lots (right from the beginning I could down a can of soup) and now that I'm on solids, all seems fair game; even gained back 3lbs. Clearly there is little restriction going on in my world - and I'm playing it for all it's worth (I'm being really bad now and testing it out constantly). Although, thankfully, I'm not going through anything like Jonathan and hopefully will never experience what DeLarla has, I'd like to think $9000+ would result in something more than this.

So here goes, for those who respond so patiently to the questions of we newbies, do you think there is anything to be concerned about here and can I expect a considerably different reality after my first fill?

Was really hoping to be in a pair of shorts by June....

Missy you are in the healing stage, and without a fill you are wide open. Any weight you lose during this phase is a bonus. When you get your first fill, you will start losing.

Welcome Missy Glad you posted. I haven't been banded yet so I can't give any advice on what your going through. I have heard that you don't have restriction till you get a fill.Wish you lots of luck and write again soon.

There are dozens of references to hunger during this phase in past posts including one in the the "sticky tabs" section at the top of one of the threads. Hunger and possible weight gains are totally possible during the pre-fill stage. Best of luck, Teresa

It took me two fills to finally have some hint of restriction. I gained 2 pounds somehow over the weekend and I am thinking of going for another fill. This band thing is harder than one thinks it would be. I am eating under 1000 calories a day and exercising 30 minutes a day and somehow still gained 2 pounds over the weekend! Our bodies are tricky and you are in the beginning stage and "wide open" as they say! Now that you are feeling better maybe start thinking of putting an exercise routine into your daily ritual to kickstart some weight loss while you are waiting to be filled! You can do it!!

Guest MissyMar

Thanks for words of encouragement and new ways to look at this. Also reviewed the LapBand transformation post. A little patience and a bit more commitment to following the eating "rules" will surely make this a more positive experience. Will post again after first fill.

Oh boy, can I relate!!! I did the very same thing. I actually gained about 5-6 pounds before I finally started going in the other direction. I had to get 3 fills before I felt any restriction. Now I have some restriction, but I think I am still not quite at the level I need to be at. I'm just trying to work up enough energy to argue with my dr about it, LOL!

Welcome Missy,

There are many post that address the band in your mushie stage and it's not uncommon to gain back some weight when you do not have a fill. Hang in there and take it day by day it will all work out.

Hello everyone!! I am Lillie. I was banded on 2/2/2005. I am feeling pretty good so far. I thank everyone for all of their comments. It has been very helpful and has also answered a lot of questions I have had. I have lost 12 lbs since pre-op. I do know that this is a process, but I am commited. I am young and looking forward to have a family with my husband. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I hope everyone has a great week.

Lillie - Please go to the introduction thread and post about yourself. A lot of people might not see your post here.

By the way, a "Big" welcome from Texas. You sound like you are doing great.

Hi MissyMar-surpised being banded by Dr. Ortiz that you're doing mushies at all. I was told by the nutrionist (I even emailed her to confirm because everybody talked about mushies) that after 1 week clears and 2 weeks full liquids, they didn't want me doing mushies. Stuff is always changing.....anyway...like everybody said, this is healing stage and any pounds lost are a bonus!

Guest MissyMar

OK Darcey - quite the detective - I'm busted. I read enough posts to "interpret" that during week 2 & 3 mushies were kind of the same as full liquids and, unlike you, I didn't contact the nutritionist (really didn't want to hear differently). Anyway, thankfully, I feel really great, believe the band is intact and where it is suppose to be and just needs to be a bit tighter (which is much better than the state of many others on this board). I'm still optimistic that positive things are just around the corner - and I'm working a bit harder on my end to make that happen. I was just hoping that the band would make everything right in my world (aren't we all?) - guess I have to be on board to.

Making the required adjustements to this new way of being,

Thanks, both Kim and Darcy, for validating feedback. By the way Darcey, are you going to TJ anytime in the near future for a fill. I'm hoping to get down there the last Saturday in Feb.

Marla

Although, thankfully, I'm not going through anything like Jonathan

I'm doing great, now, Missy =) Thanks for thinking of me though!

Basically followed the requirements of Clear Liquids week 1; mushies week 2 & 3 (although one might question my interpretation of "mushie").

As someone in my mushies as well, I'm very curious about your comment... What kind of mushies are you eating? I had some mashed potatos today (delicious!) but they were "lumpy" (by desing, I guess) and more work than I thought they'd be. Although I'll probably get scolded for it by someone here (and deserve it ;) ), I ate some avacados on clubhouse crackers, and found that the crackers went down more easily than the potatos did earlier in the day. (I think the wetness from the avacados helped, as well as lots and lots of chewing.) For the record, pickles aren't mushy. But that's another story. =)

Hi MissyMar-surpised being banded by Dr. Ortiz that you're doing mushies at all. I was told by the nutrionist (I even emailed her to confirm because everybody talked about mushies) that after 1 week clears and 2 weeks full liquids, they didn't want me doing mushies.

So after 2 weeks of liquids, they didn't think you were ready for mushies? That kind of scares me, since I'm 1 week post-op now, and am doing mushies, after 5 days of not being able to have ANY liquids. My doctor's fine with it though... We have a different format we follow... There are no time limits on stages... just goals you have to meet before moving onto the next stage.

As you said though, everyone's different and things change all the time =) I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything I'll regret. (Although I have complete faith that my doctor knows what he's doing =) )

Guest MissyMar

First, if I said it wrong, I didn't/couldn't wait 2 weeks to get to mushies - it was after week 1. The things I found irresitible - mashed potatoes (check out the pre-made ones by Country Crock - garlic especially), creamy Tomato basil Soup made by Safeway and a good glass of Zinfandel (well not a mushie but sure made those 2 weeks alot better). The rest was pretty much as posted by others. Better clear it first though - I'm certainly not poster child for banding.

Jonathan-what I said about mushies....don't be scared. Just do what your doctor says. Each doctor has their own guidelines. I was instructed by Dr. Ortiz's nutritionist after my 1 week of clear liquids and 2 weeks of full liquids (cream Soups, liquid yogurt and such) to start on regular foods cautiously. She just didn't want me getting used to mushies and felt that I might learn to eat around the band by doing so.

Marla-actually I'm going to Portland to get my first fill this Saturday. I can't wait. I felt restriction for quite some time after surgery, but now I can eat way too much to lose and I want that scale to start going back down! Good luck to you!