Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling very defeated...not sure it was worth it now...

I'm so frustrated. I lost 30 pounds the first 2 weeks after surgery. Then I hit a stall for 2 weeks. Lost 5 pounds when the stall broke, and then literally lost nothing else. Stayed at that weight for a week, and now I'm gaining weight!!!!! I don't understand it. I bought a food scale and I weigh everything. I check the labels on everything to make sure Protein is high and carbs and fats are low. I work out once, sometimes twice, a day. I never have restriction, so I make sure to set alarms for when I can eat so I don't graze or eat too much (I eat 3 meals and 1 snack per day). I'm always hungry, but I do my best to ignore it and stick to the diet and eating schedule. I did a journal of what I eat and I sent it to my dietician and she said "it looks good, you're doing what you're supposed to. It might be that you have PCOS and it's holding on to your weight and even putting some back on. We see this a lot in PCOS patients." Wait....what???

I lost 100 pounds in 8 months on Keto, but I can't lose more than 30 with WLS??? And it took 2 months before the weight came back with keto, but I can't even make it to 6 weeks post op before the weight starts coming back with WLS??? I went down from a size 30 in clothing to a size 22 before the weight came back with keto. I haven't gone down any clothing sizes with WLS and my clothes are still fitting pretty much the same (I've gained 6 pounds back from the 30 I lost).

I can drink as much as I want, eat anything I want, don't have to eat slow because there's no restriction and nothing to make me slow down, I could only eat 1/3 of a burger a week or so ago, now I can eat a whole one with no issues and not quite feel comfortable yet (I still stop, even though I'm still hungry). I know everyone says my stomach is still healing, but I never lost my hunger hormone, I never had food aversion, I never really had any restriction. After the first 2 weeks (my stomach was still very sensitive and I had to crush pills and be careful what I ate because PAIN), I never had any other ANYTHING that would even indicate I had surgery. Literally nothing has changed.

So I follow the diet, weigh my food, eat only at my designated times, work out, journal what I eat, stay hungry, gain weight back, and basically just live miserably every day.

I'm so sorry you're struggling. That sounds really hard. Have you talked to them about medications? I was hungry since day 2 after my surgery (but I did/do have restriction) and they put me on metformin and then also topamax, which have both helped. Also, what helps me is drinking a lot of coffee and tea with milk and splenda (the combination of milk and caffeine makes me feel more full) and drinking when I feel hungry, or keeping busy.

A friend of mine didn't have any restriction and after her weight loss stalled they started her on Ozempic. That has helped her to start losing weight again.

you have to stick to the plan and that means NO BURGERS NO eating or drinking whatever you and as much as you like. slow down your eating .you're only just 6 weeks Post op you could do serious damage, your nerves wont be healed yet to give you those "full" signals which is why we get strict eating plans to follow. sorry if I sound harsh but I think someone has to say it. I am sitting here shaking my head at the fact you are eating a full burger at 6 weeks out my god woman what are you doing to yourself. Again just because you can doesn't mean you should.

12 minutes ago, SleeverSk said:

you have to stick to the plan and that means NO BURGERS NO eating or drinking whatever you and as much as you like. slow down your eating .you're only just 6 weeks Post op you could do serious damage, your nerves wont be healed yet to give you those "full" signals which is why we get strict eating plans to follow. sorry if I sound harsh but I think someone has to say it. I am sitting here shaking my head at the fact you are eating a full burger at 6 weeks out my god woman what are you doing to yourself. Again just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Um... I wasn't told no burgers! Because they are ground meat, they are easier to eat, so I often order them out, as they are high in Protein and I just don't eat the bun.

And at 6 weeks out she should feel restriction. Most people feel it as soon as they start solid food. But I agree: just because you CAN eat as much as you want, doesn't mean you should. I can eat as much Cookies as I want, but I have to stop myself from doing that.

I am about 7 weeks post op. I lost a lot of weight pre op and first 2 weeks. Since then i have slowed a lot. here are my measurements that i take on the 4th of every month. As you can see its not super fast. This process takes a while.

SIZE.png

3 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

I was told I could eat burgers. I was told there isn't anything I can't eat as long as my stomach tolerates it and I watch the amount I eat, how often, and I make sure to watch the Protein and carbs. And that's what I do.

2 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I was told I could eat burgers. I was told there isn't anything I can't eat as long as my stomach tolerates it and I watch the amount I eat, how often, and I make sure to watch the Protein and carbs. And that's what I do.

Technically yes but no... After we heal up sure we can eat pretty much anything but in smaller portions. But the whole idea is to eat healthier as well... the bad things that got us to this weight should be avoided for the most part like fast food and fatty items.

7 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I'm so frustrated. I lost 30 pounds the first 2 weeks after surgery. Then I hit a stall for 2 weeks. Lost 5 pounds when the stall broke, and then literally lost nothing else. Stayed at that weight for a week, and now I'm gaining weight!!!!! I don't understand it. I bought a food scale and I weigh everything. I check the labels on everything to make sure Protein is high and carbs and fats are low. I work out once, sometimes twice, a day. I never have restriction, so I make sure to set alarms for when I can eat so I don't graze or eat too much (I eat 3 meals and 1 snack per day). I'm always hungry, but I do my best to ignore it and stick to the diet and eating schedule. I did a journal of what I eat and I sent it to my dietician and she said "it looks good, you're doing what you're supposed to. It might be that you have PCOS and it's holding on to your weight and even putting some back on. We see this a lot in PCOS patients." Wait....what???

I lost 100 pounds in 8 months on Keto, but I can't lose more than 30 with WLS??? And it took 2 months before the weight came back with Keto, but I can't even make it to 6 weeks post op before the weight starts coming back with WLS??? I went down from a size 30 in clothing to a size 22 before the weight came back with keto. I haven't gone down any clothing sizes with WLS and my clothes are still fitting pretty much the same (I've gained 6 pounds back from the 30 I lost).

I can drink as much as I want, eat anything I want, don't have to eat slow because there's no restriction and nothing to make me slow down, I could only eat 1/3 of a burger a week or so ago, now I can eat a whole one with no issues and not quite feel comfortable yet (I still stop, even though I'm still hungry). I know everyone says my stomach is still healing, but I never lost my hunger hormone, I never had food aversion, I never really had any restriction. After the first 2 weeks (my stomach was still very sensitive and I had to crush pills and be careful what I ate because PAIN), I never had any other ANYTHING that would even indicate I had surgery. Literally nothing has changed.

So I follow the diet, weigh my food, eat only at my designated times, work out, journal what I eat, stay hungry, gain weight back, and basically just live miserably every day.

a whole burger is a lot. At seven years out, I rarely eat more than half a burger.

4 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Maybe the burger patty, but not a burger patty on a bun and all that goes along with it. I guess is it a home made burger 🍔 or from Macca's or hungry jacks and the like because 1 burger from a fast food joint would be your calories for the whole day

Edited by SleeverSk

Be mindful about what you eat. Definitely consult your Dr and if your nutritionist isn't helping you maybe consider looking for a second opinion. Weigh your food like you said you are and only eat that and have Water most of the day. I know this feels stressful but the stress will cause you to fall back into old habits especially if you're an emotional eater. Take a deep breath and make sure you are keeping a food journal and stay under your calorie intake. You got this!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using BariatricPal mobile app

I think burgers are okay if they are made a home from lean beef. And either without bread or on a thin low carb roll. I can eat a whole one but my husband makes it on the grill and it’s on the small side. Anyways, I think lizonaplane has a good suggestion to try medications if you are still struggling.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 6/10/2022 at 7:01 PM, SleeverSk said:

Maybe the burger patty, but not a burger patty on a bun and all that goes along with it. I guess is it a home made burger 🍔 or from Macca's or hungry jacks and the like because 1 burger from a fast food joint would be your calories for the whole day

It's just the patty. No bun, none of the junk that usually goes on it. Just the patty with a little seasoning. And they are homemade patties, not fast food or anything.

Sorry I was gone and didn't respond. I was on a staycation with my family for a few days. I don't know how it happened, but I dropped several pounds while I was gone. I'm mindful of what I eat. 60-80 oz of Protein per day, less than 50g of carbs and less than 50g of fat per day. I also make sure I eat half a cup or less of food per meal and weigh my food if it's not something that can be measured via a measuring cup (I make sure not to go over 3-4 oz which is what I was told I can have). I didn't do any exercise while I was gone, so I really thought I gained weight. Again, I was stunned I lost weight.

18 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Sorry I was gone and didn't respond. I was on a staycation with my family for a few days. I don't know how it happened, but I dropped several pounds while I was gone. I'm mindful of what I eat. 60-80 oz of Protein per day, less than 50g of carbs and less than 50g of fat per day. I also make sure I eat half a cup or less of food per meal and weigh my food if it's not something that can be measured via a measuring cup (I make sure not to go over 3-4 oz which is what I was told I can have). I didn't do any exercise while I was gone, so I really thought I gained weight. Again, I was stunned I lost weight.

Bodies are weird. And exercise doesn't really cause you to lose weight. It's good for maintaining weight long term and it's essential for health, but 90% of weight loss is food choices.

I would continue to track your eating and see how that goes but if you feel stuck, reach out to your medical team. It's such a struggle!

14 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

It's just the patty. No bun, none of the junk that usually goes on it. Just the patty with a little seasoning. And they are homemade patties, not fast food or anything.

My apologies then. I guess when someone says burger I automatically think of a full burger 🍔 with the works like I would have eaten myself before surgery. I had a win today We went through the hungry jacks drive through to get my friends hubby his lunch and looked at the menu and thought yum but I didn't order anything it didn't even bother me .