Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I’m 10 months post op from gastric sleeve and have been at a stall for about a month. I’m at 173 from 250. I eat about 1,200 Cals a day and have about 60-80 ounces of Water per day. How can I speed up my weight loss? What has worked for you? Thanks!

How tall are you? If you are close to a normal BMI the weight loss does slow down considerably and it eventually stops. I am 5’8” Mine stopped at 169 and after staying there for several months I gained 10 back over the next few. I have been at 179 ever since. I wanted to get much lower but had to accept that my body is happy here. I could probably lose a bit if I incorporated more exercise Though. You may just need to be a bit more patient, but you also may need to add more movement to lose more.

On 05/27/2022 at 11:12, ShoppGirl said:

How tall are you? If you are close to a normal BMI the weight loss does slow down considerably and it eventually stops. I am 5’8” Mine stopped at 169 and after staying there for several months I gained 10 back over the next few. I have been at 179 ever since. I wanted to get much lower but had to accept that my body is happy here. I could probably lose a bit if I incorporated more exercise Though. You may just need to be a bit more patient, but you also may need to add more movement to lose more.

Thank you. I’m 5’3 so I feel reaching 150 would be ideal. I recently started incorporating more exercise, I’m also wondering if I need to completely cut out carbs.

Just now, Ready21 said:

Thank you. I’m 5’3 so I feel reaching 150 would be ideal. I recently started incorporating more exercise, I’m also wondering if I need to completely cut out carbs.

You will probably get mixed responses on that one. I did not ever cut them out completely but some people do. Some find eating them on occasion is too difficult and some nutritionist think they should be cut out completely during the weight loss phase. Mine said if you can eat them in moderation they are okay.

On 05/27/2022 at 12:57, ShoppGirl said:

You will probably get mixed responses on that one. I did not ever cut them out completely but some people do. Some find eating them on occasion is too difficult and some nutritionist think they should be cut out completely during the weight loss phase. Mine said if you can eat them in moderation they are okay.

Yeah, just wondering if I’m consuming too much. For instance, for the past few months, I make it a point to eat about 1.5 or 2 oz of tostones along with some Protein. They’re so good, and it doesn’t seem like too many carbs, but I may experiment and go without for a week and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

10 minutes ago, Ready21 said:

Yeah, just wondering if I’m consuming too much. For instance, for the past few months, I make it a point to eat about 1.5 or 2 oz of tostones along with some Protein. They’re so good, and it doesn’t seem like too many carbs, but I may experiment and go without for a week and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

Idk what tostones are but if they are carbs and you are having them every day you may want to try cutting back. Especially if nothing else works.

I had to look it up. A lot of good Vitamins and full on carbs at 37. How much on your plan? I think that’s an entire day for me but heavy carbs don’t sit well. Definitely helps that you have it with Protein,

Aah, carbs. You’ll get a lot of contradictory info on them. Some plans are pro carbs, others anti carbs & some advise a balance. Mine was low carbs & lower starch. I was allowed rolled oats (a low processed whole grain) & incidental carbs from foods like vegetables & fruit while losing. In maintenance I could add additional whole or multi grains (I added multi grain crackers). I still don’t eat rice, Pasta or bread (or potatoes) mainly because they sit heavily in my tummy. All good because I’ve discovered I’m better on lower carbs & low starch.

Good advice is always eat your Protein first, then vegetables then carbs & fruit. Though a fruit, plantains are higher in carbs than other fruits & are starchy. Having some as an occasional treat is likely ok but regularly not so much while still losing.

Worth considering your carb/starch intake but as I suggested in your other post, have a chat with your dietician. They should know best for you & your needs.

It's not possible to eliminate carbs completely if you want to be able to eat "normally" in a sustained manner. However, I am 3.5 years out and still keep carbs as low as possible. (I also have refined sugar, zero alcohol, and as fat in moderation.)

1200 calories is pretty low. Have you considered increasing your caloric intake? It's not intuitively obvious, but sometimes eating more calories can increase your weight loss - your body may be in starvation mode and conserving due to low calories. Increasing the calories, even to 1400 or so, might kickstart your body into burning fat again.

Beat way to see if a low carb diet works for you is to try it out for several weeks and see? If you see/experience what you like, then yay! If not try something else.

Everyone will respond to different types of carbs differently.

I went ultra low carb during weight loss phase, and lost the weight I wanted.

BUT…I discovered later in maintenance that my carb intake made little to no difference in weight loss/gain/maintenance for ME. All that mattered was total calorie intake, whether these cals came from bread or steak or Cookies.

What carb intake DID make a difference for ME, was physical appearance. When i am low-carbing i look more lean and defined. When I’m not, I look more puffy and full.

So while low-carbing makes my body (in my opinion) look nicer, my face gets gaunt-er…so its a win-lose lol. (AND i am basically still the same weight either way, eating basically the same amount of calories).

But again, try it yourself and see (and also speak to your NUT of course :) )

Good Luck! ❤️

On 05/28/2022 at 09:30, Tufflaw said:

1200 calories is pretty low. Have you considered increasing your caloric intake? It's not intuitively obvious, but sometimes eating more calories can increase your weight loss - your body may be in starvation mode and conserving due to low calories. Increasing the calories, even to 1400 or so, might kickstart your body into burning fat again.

😊 Yes, thank you…I started that a few days ago and will wait until the end of the week to weigh myself. I increased calories by 150 or so.

On 05/28/2022 at 09:30, Tufflaw said:

😊 Yes, thank you…I started that a few days ago and will wait until the end of the week to weigh myself. I increased calories by 150 or so.

On 05/28/2022 at 19:40, ms.sss said:

Beat way to see if a low carb diet works for you is to try it out for several weeks and see? If you see/experience what you like, then yay! If not try something else.

Everyone will respond to different types of carbs differently.

I went ultra low carb during weight loss phase, and lost the weight I wanted.

BUT…I discovered later in maintenance that my carb intake made little to no difference in weight loss/gain/maintenance for ME. All that mattered was total calorie intake, whether these cals came from bread or steak or Cookies.

What carb intake DID make a difference for ME, was physical appearance. When i am low-carbing i look more lean and defined. When I’m not, I look more puffy and full.

So while low-carbing makes my body (in my opinion) look nicer, my face gets gaunt-er…so its a win-lose lol. (AND i am basically still the same weight either way, eating basically the same amount of calories).

But again, try it yourself and see (and also speak to your NUT of course :) )

Good Luck! ❤️

Thank you for your input! I am experimenting now and I’ll have a better indication of how things are going this week. It’s great that your body responds like that. You’ve found your formula!

On 5/31/2022 at 1:28 AM, Ready21 said:

Any results? 150 might not even be enough.