Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hell week starts tomorrow (April 26th)

A few things:

1. Yep, it's hell week. I tell people that the week before surgery was way worse than what came after. So if you get through this, you will be able to make it.

2. The first 3 days will be the worst (at least until you are in the laxative stage 24 hrs prior to surgery; I was so miserable on that day). Your body will adjust to liquids only after 48-72 hours.

3. The way to endure through those 3 days is to constantly be having liquids. Drink Protein Shakes until you feel full; if it takes 3 shakes in a row, drink 3 shakes in a row. Eat a whole box of sugar-free popsicles. Eat as much sugar free Jello as you want (assuming that is allowed on your surgeon's plan). Whatever you are allowed to have, drink it without guilt or regret. After your body adjusts, you probably won't feel the desire to gorge, but drown your stomach in liquids until that happens.

51 minutes ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

Thank you so much, everyone. I know I sound like a whiny child, but not eating (when my issue is eating too much) is really hard. I had my morning Protein Shake and now I'm drinking a Protein Water. I'm having a Protein smoothie for lunch and then another protein Water later on. For dinner I'm having beef broth with beef Better Than Bouillon Soup base. Then I'm having a sugar free popsicle for dessert and 1 more protein water before bed. I REALLY hope keeping to this kind of eating schedule will make this week bearable.

It’s good that your able to do the protein waters as a “snack” of sort or whatever you want to call it to tide you over. Protein really does fill you up. I am over a year out and I still drink a caffe latte Protein Shake with caffeine for Breakfast Daily and I am full till lunch. I obviously don’t have to at this point and would not if I was feeling hungry.

Edited by ShoppGirl

1 hour ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

but not eating (when my issue is eating too much) is really hard.

I think about 99% of the people on this forum can relate to that... 😂

I think it is something that you have to challenge yourself mentally to get it done. The next year or so of your life is going to be hard. It is hard to get your mind wrapped around your meal sizes, not eating appetizers at restaurants, not drinking for an hour before a meal, exercising more than you ever have in your life etc, etc. Remember what you have heard 100 times on this forum....the surgery is a tool!! The real magic comes from your head...you have to mentally want to do the things that are going to make you successful. Find out ways that you CAN do things. sugar free Jello, Bone Broth, clear Protein, popsicles, lots and lots of Water etc. You can do it. It is going to be the most important change of your life but you will not regret it. Set your mind to it and do not let your guard down. It is too important.

I'm really struggling with being hungry, but I come back to this forum a lot, and I read the bariatric handbook from my surgeon's office, and I remind myself why I'm doing this. I'm not going to give up or cheat or walk away from this. I've come so far, I'm not screwing it up now. BUT, it's still really hard. I'm HUNGRY!!!! But I'm working, watching true crime, watching Netflix and Hulu, and whining to my husband LOL I know I'll get through it, but this part REALLY really stinks.

I'm really struggling with being hungry, but I come back to this forum a lot, and I read the bariatric handbook from my surgeon's office, and I remind myself why I'm doing this. I'm not going to give up or cheat or walk away from this. I've come so far, I'm not screwing it up now. BUT, it's still really hard. I'm HUNGRY!!!! But I'm working, watching true crime, watching Netflix and Hulu, and whining to my husband LOL I know I'll get through it, but this part REALLY really stinks.

That's what we're here for! It's so worth it and can't stress how temporary the no food thing is. You got this!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

So day 1 is in the books and I'm now on to day 2. Something I learned is that I have to make sure I'm getting enough calories. I only had just under 600 calories for the day yesterday and I was beyond tired, had headaches, and felt shaky. Today I'm making sure I have between 1000 - 1200 calories, and hopefully I'll feel better.

I totally feel your pain. I started my pre-op yesterday as well and have had a splitting headache that won't quit since yesterday afternoon. I am waiting patiently for day 4 when everyone says this gets easier!

Man, I remember my 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet. It was ROUGH. My program had me on 5 shakes a day and I could supplement with 1 single serving of sugar free Jello and broth. I would hold onto the broth for dinner so it would feel more comforting and give me something to look forward to after drinking all the shakes. By the time I got to my second week I started blending my shakes with some ice and eat it with a spoon. I kept a countdown on post its and tried to stay really busy. I also tried really hard to focus on the ultimate goal of surgery, which, helped a lot.

Life will be different after surgery and some things will be easier, but, others harder. As much as it is a physical journey it is a mental journey even more.

Keep plugging away! Every day is one day closer!

I’m on my 4th day of a 1000 calorie diet. I start all liquids on Friday! I thought the same thing. It is very hard. But it totally is a mindset change! I get my surgery on Monday and I am so excited. I was most nervous for the pre op diet as well.

Yeah, the withdrawals can be hard. Takeaway the caffeine, the sugar, etc. & you get headaches, feel weak & sometimes tremors. Similar to withdrawal from alcohol or drugs. You’ll feel generally crappy for a few days then it improves. It can be surprising to realise how much you & your body relied on these stimulants & then in time realise how much you didn’t really need them.

Day 2 is done, now on day 3. Hubby went to the store and bought me some V8 (I love the stuff), some sugar free iced tea, and some pho broth (my absolute FAVORITE). It's really helped. And tomorrow he's ordering chinese food for dinner and getting me wanton Soup (my other favorite - but I won't be eating the wantons, sadly). He's really going above and beyond to help me get through this diet, and I just love him even more for it. Surgery is 5 days away. I got this!!!