Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all, I recently asked my PCP if I was a good candidate for gastric bypass and he said yes without hesitation and referred me to their bariatrics. I’m in the bay area so I got a call 2 days later from the South San Francisco staff and they scheduled my first nutrition class and also my appointment with my surgeon.

I currently have a BMI of 38 and have no additional health issues and scared about getting denied.

Has anyone had luck within the 35-39 BMI range without any cormorbidities? I’ve done extensive research and I have my mind set that this is the right choice. I felt hopefully for once in a long time, but now I am scared I am not going to qualify.

Welcome. Tell us a little about yourself. If you can add your details to your sidebar which can be done in your profile in the surgery section. What is your height, Weight?

Ankle or wrist weights (at your weigh in) may help you get over the line for BMI for insurance purposes :)

On a more serious note, maybe have a chat with your insurance company and check what the BMI threshold is for them for someone without co-morbidities.

@Hop_Scotch for Kaiser, would I just call their 1-800 number? I’m trying to figure that part out when people say to call insurance. Sorry if that’s a dumb question

I start my options classes next month and was wondering about a good surgeon, I live in Bakersfield but would like to get my surgery done in West LA, I'm just a little concern about my regular doctor's comments about if I don't lose the weight I don't get the surgery and I'm just above qualifying BMI with sleep apnea. So I have questions about which doctor isn't as strict about losing the weight before the visiting the surgeon. I'm also doing all the classes online, how does that work about weighing me? 
Thank you :)

I did not have to lose weight before they recommended it but I actually gained about 5lbs prior and I still went thru. I also had it at west la Kaiser

How old are you? You don’t actually have to answer that but age may help you in this situation. Many of us as we get older are shorter than we think. I was OVER an inch shorter than I thought which made my BMI just barely 35 and I did have comorbidities. Usually insurance requires a 40 BMI without but you are closer than you think if you are a little shorter.