Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted to see what your program says about raw vegetables, bread and alcohol

My program doesn't allow raw vegetables (no salads) until 5 months post op, no bread products for 6 months (but other carbs are okay), and no alcohol for a year.

Curious to learn

A)when did you start eating/drinking these things post op and how did you handle it?

B)what advice your program gave you about them?

C) experience with your first salad?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

9 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

A)when did you start eating/drinking these things post op and how did you handle it?

B)what advice your program gave you about them?

C) experience with your first salad?

A) 28 days after surgery. bread wasn't a winner. Crackers were. Protein bread is great. Still bake little rolls with protein Pizza Crust mix. Got absolutely hammered on Day 28 with my best friend. Loved every second of it, hated the hangovers, had the calories saved up for it.

B ) 28 days, go nuts. Just stay within your calories (1400 at the time, from Day 1 until the 6 month mark) and get your protein in. Otherwise the advice is obviously to use the time to learn better eating behaviors, and you get a ton of help and advice and motivation, but they believe in treating adults like adults.

C) It was fine. Still is!

Edited by Guest

raw vegetables - I was told to wait about five months before trying them, too. They can be really hard on your pouch. To be honest, at seven years out, they're still sometimes hard on my pouch (not always, but sometimes). This sounds weird, but sometimes when I'm having a snack attack, I'll start eating raw vegetables because sometimes they irritate my stomach so much that I can't handle eating anything else. Stops an attack dead in its tracks....

alcohol - also told to wait a year. I actually waited about three years. I rarely drink - maybe three or four times a year. It goes right into your blood stream, so you get really buzzed really fast. They have you wait because transfer addiction is a common problem. Some people who've never had a problem with alcohol before surgery develop it afterward - so this is part of the rationale behind them advising you to wait.

I don't think my program ever said anything about bread (although it's been quite awhile), but maybe yours is one that pushes an ultra-low-carb diet, as many of them seem to do. Mine was a balanced diet, so they didn't really care too much about carbs, as long as they were the good kind. Still, I think it was probably a year before I ate bread. I still don't eat it very often because it sometimes sits like a brick in my stomach. Another thing about bread is that it's not terribly nutritious, and the first few months you can only handle a small amount of food - so they want you to focus on super nutritious things.

I think I started eating salads at about five or six months out.

1 minute ago, catwoman7 said:

raw vegetables - I was told to wait about five months before trying them, too. They can be really hard on your pouch. To be honest, at seven years out, they're still sometimes hard on my pouch (not always, but sometimes). This sounds weird, but sometimes when I'm having a snack attack, I'll start eating raw vegetables because sometimes they irritate my stomach so much that I can't handle eating anything else. Stops an attack dead in its tracks....

alcohol - also told to wait a year. I actually waited about three years. I rarely drink - maybe three or four times a year. It goes right into your blood stream, so you get really buzzed really fast. They have you wait because transfer addiction is a common problem. Some people who've never had a problem with alcohol before surgery develop it afterward - so this is part of the rationale behind them advising you to wait.

I don't think my program ever said anything about bread (although it's been quite awhile), but maybe yours is one that pushes an ultra-low-carb diet, as many of them seem to do. Mine was a balanced diet, so they didn't really care too much about carbs, as long as they were the good kind. Still, I think it was probably a year before I ate bread. I still don't eat it very often because it sometimes sits like a brick in my stomach. Another thing about bread is that it's not terribly nutritious, and the first few months you can only handle a small amount of food - so they want you to focus on super nutritious things.

I think I started eating salads at about five or six months out.

That's interesting about the raw veggies stopping a snack attack, thanks for the tip!

And yeah my friend has a VSG and has/had an eating disorder that she didn't treat, and went to Mexico for her VSG and now has transfer addiction and drinks daily now. It's so sad.

1 minute ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Wait. One year for booze.

Yeah. It's a cultural thing as well. I'd be toast culturally without a glass of wine here and there. It's been fine.

1 minute ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Yeah. It's a cultural thing as well. I'd be toast culturally without a glass of wine here and there. It's been fine.

I don't drink anymore. You don't wanna see me on booze. 😂

3 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

I don't drink anymore. You don't wanna see me on booze. 😂

Literally having a glass of chardonnay as we speak (I just came home from a date, this doesn't count as drinking alone). And now is when we're NOT allowed to derail OP's thread :)

6 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Wait. One year for booze.

Omg. In this country people drink alcohol at pretty much every meal and that's it.

My program: after the first month, eat what you want but watch out for steak. There are no dietary restrictions at all: eat healthy, high quality foods. Chew well. Don't drink with or 30 minutes after your meal.

My experience: I still do badly with hard things that cannot be completely chewed like some fruit skins (blueberry, apple). I haven't tried some things like bread because I either I haven't has the chance or don't believe certain foods are compatible with healthy fat loss. I ate a little Pasta and it was fine.

Just now, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Literally having a glass of chardonnay as we speak (I just came home from a date, this doesn't count as drinking alone). And now is when we're NOT allowed to derail OP's thread :)

Congrats & :64_zipper_mouth:

Just now, Pollito said:

Omg. In this country people drink alcohol at pretty much every meal and that's it.

My program: after the first month, eat what you want but watch out for steak. There are no dietary restrictions at all: eat healthy, high quality foods. Chew well. Don't drink with or 30 minutes after your meal.

My experience: I still do badly with hard things that cannot be completely chewed like some fruit skins (blueberry, apple). I haven't tried some things like bread because I either I haven't has the chance or don't believe certain foods are compatible with healthy fat loss. I ate a little Pasta and it was fine.

I have a few reasons for not drinking. Keto alone put me into near liver failure (due to taking chemo type meds), so yeah booze is a no go for me.

Dietician, filling in online form at 4 week meeting: so what kind of alcohol have you been drinking

Me: oh well I can't drink beer cause of the gas so I've been trying dry Vermouth. It's quite good.

Dietician: and, frequency?

Me: twice

Dietician: twice a day, ok

Me: no...just twice so far

Dietician: *laughs* *rolls eyes* : OK...

2 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

I have a few reasons for not drinking. Keto alone put me into near liver failure (due to taking chemo type meds), so yeah booze is a no go for me.

Aye fair enough, but nothing to do with RNY

1 minute ago, Pollito said:

Dietician, filling in online form at 4 week meeting: so what kind of alcohol have you been drinking

Me: oh well I can't drink beer cause of the gas so I've been trying dry Vermouth. It's quite good.

Dietician: and, frequency?

Me: twice

Dietician: twice a day, ok

Me: no...just twice so far

Dietician: *laughs* *rolls eyes* : OK...

🤣