Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m struggling with Constipation since having surgery. Like it’s there but won’t come out. I then have to take Miralax, Metamucil wafer thins and drink Smooth Move tea. Then I stress until I can actually get it out. Is there any way to avoid this? It’s very frustrating and depressing. I welcome any help.

welcome to the club. Chronic Constipation is pretty common after WLS - or at least sleeve and bypass. It's due to the high Protein diet plus some of the supplements (namely, Calcium and iron). A lot of us take a capful of Miralax every day. I've been doing it since I had surgery (almost) seven years ago.

Oh boy I have this problem too. I went a whole 7 days without going last week and in the end I didn't dare go out in case I had a accident. I hope I can eat more soon and then eat more vegetables.

I struggled with this at first too. I had to take milk of magnesia to get me to go and start on soluable Fiber which I took every morning until I got Back to a normal serving size.

Oh, yeah, Constipation is very common. Took a good 18 months before I got back into a pretty regular routine which was 12 months into maintenance.

Add a soluble fibre to your diet like Benefibre (avoid the ones that swell in your tummy). Keep your Water up. Add a few more vegetables, a little fruit or some whole or multi grains to your diet as allowed. And establish your own routine of treatments to ease the constipation. Take Miralax every day as @catwoman7 suggested. I’d take a stool softener on day 3 if I had no movement. The longer you let it go the harder & more compact it becomes making it very painful to pass.

Omg thank you! This is crazy it becomes a plug and very painful to pass but once it passes it’s better the it happens again. I’m going to take your advice and continue to take the miralax and Metamucil fiber wafers on a daily basis. Thank you all…this part of post surgery sucks ass

Milk of Magnesium Cherry flavor! I didn't go for 11 days post-op, and this helped in 12 hours

Edited by carpeediem
Spelling

Omg thank you! This is crazy it becomes a plug and very painful to pass but once it passes it’s better the it happens again. I’m going to take your advice and continue to take the miralax and Metamucil fiber wafers on a daily basis. Thank you all…this part of post surgery sucks ass
After surgery this advice for me to take. Great advice

Sent from my Scepter 8 Tablet using BariatricPal mobile app

I had this problem too, and it was compounded by having to have knee surgery 4 weeks after WLS so I was on opioids for pain. I got in the habit of putting Metamucil in a liter of Water and drinking it every day. Helped with both the water intake and fiber intake. If I skip a day of fiber-water, I pay the price 3-4 days later but stool softeners help. I also recommend keeping suppositories on hand just in case you have an issue as this helps in the moment. I use refillable water bottles, and the fiber always goes into the same color so that I know I’m drinking the right one.

Fiber, miralax, whatever works for you and is safe long-term. It is very common as you can see from all these responses lol. For me, a teaspoon of miralax a day in my morning coffee has been working. Although it is a small amount, if I miss one day then I'll get problems so I can not miss a day. lol also, depending on my current food kick, sometimes I may have take a little more.