Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling guilty eating not as healthy as i could

Dear guys I am in a mindestens struggle.

I noticed that i arrange my food portions so perfect with probably more veggies as i should eat for my little stomach "to eat healthy".

I am so stupid to strech my stomach with that just to eat so clean.

I was aware that if i only eat a toast with chicken and egg i would need so much less in gramm and be more satiated for longer than i would just eat that much veggies in my meal.

I feel guilty to choose chicken and toast prio than just veggies and chicken.

My priority should be to keep my food volume as little as possible. But it is an old weird habit to eat so much veggie.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi!

Don't worry, the sleeve stretching isn't a big concern in real life. It's way, way overblown. That area of the stomach isn't easy to stretch at all. Newer research confirms this.

Eat your veggies, but obviously stop putting food in your mouth when you feel full.

By the way, that feeling of guilt? It's your messed up relationship to food talking. It's just food. Don't feel guilty, nobody here - and I guarantee you, NOBODY - is perfect or close to perfect.

:317_full_moon_with_face:

In the beginning when I was eating so little but needed Fiber (because I was constipated) I would eat veggies as my snack. I focused on Protein at meals and had the veggies as a snack. The NP thought that was a great idea. Perhaps it will work for you. You still get your veggies and your protein but no worries over eating too much at one time.

Thank you guys for the Ideas :) helped me.
But i have to be really aware about not streching my poch too much. This is Important to me - a lot. Hope you respect that.

I try to separate and eat those veggie mini amount as a snack [emoji108] good ideal [emoji111][emoji108]

Eating a few more vegetables than you’re ‘supposed to’ is not going to stretch out your tummy or ruin your weight loss. Unless you’re frequently eating huge portions of high fat, high carb, high sugar foods I wouldn’t worry.

Out of curiosity, how far along are you? I ask because as you progress and are able to eat larger portions you’ll find the dilemma of Protein vs vegetables isn’t as much of an issue. Just eat your protein first & if you can eat a little more choose vegetables. I like @ShoppGirl’s suggestion to eat vegetables as a snack.

There’s a lot to learn & it takes time to discover what works for you. Because we’ve either been where you are or are still working our way through it. We understand & want you to be successful. It’s why we’re all happy to share our experiences & what we’ve learnt along the way.

The reason you feel more satisfied eating a smaller portion of toast than vegetables is that the toast tends to swell in your tummy & sit more heavily. It’s why many of us are advised to avoid bread, Pasta & rice while losing. (I still avoid them - can’t get my protein in & I feel blah!) Depending on how you cook them they’re relatively low calorie & you’ll get way more nutrients from the vegetables than the toast.

I’ve always loved vegetables so eating so few in the beginning was very strange. I remember that first single green bean I was able to eat. So excited. Then I just slowly added a few more as I was able. At 2.6yrs post surgery I eat about 3 ozs of protein & about 1 cup of vegetables & sometimes a meal is only protein. But that works for me.

Have a chat with your dietician about portion size (volume vs weight) & calories. It may put your mind at ease.

Edited by Arabesque

7 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

By the way, that feeling of guilt? It's your messed up relationship to food talking. It's just food.

OMG THIS!!!

Eating a few more vegetables than you’re ‘supposed to’ is not going to stretch out your tummy or ruin your weight loss. Unless you’re frequently eating huge portions of high fat, high carb, high sugar foods I wouldn’t worry.
Out of curiosity, how far along are you? I ask because as you progress and are able to eat larger portions you’ll find the dilemma of Protein vs vegetables isn’t as much of an issue. Just eat your protein first & if you can eat a little more choose vegetables. I like [mention=396684]ShoppGirl[/mention]’s suggestion to eat vegetables as a snack.
There’s a lot to learn & it takes time to discover what works for you. Because we’ve either been where you are or are still working our way through it. We understand & want you to be successful. It’s why we’re all happy to share our experiences & what we’ve learnt along the way.
The reason you feel more satisfied eating a smaller portion of toast than vegetables is that the toast tends to swell in your tummy & sit more heavily. It’s why many of us are advised to avoid bread, Pasta & rice while losing. (I still avoid them - can’t get my protein in & I feel blah!) Depending on how you cook them they’re relatively low calorie & you’ll get way more nutrients from the vegetables than the toast.
I’ve always loved vegetables so eating so few in the beginning was very strange. I remember that first single green bean I was able to eat. So excited. Then I just slowly added a few more as I was able. At 2.6yrs post surgery I eat about 3 ozs of protein & about 1 cup of vegetables & sometimes a meal is only protein. But that works for me.
Have a chat with your dietician about portion size (volume vs weight) & calories. It may put your mind at ease.
I am one year out if surgery.
I cant handle more than 2 oz solid protein like chicken on my stochmach digestion/acid. I only feel well and okay by portion size 6-7 oz. Per meal.
My food is clean and organic.
I do very well with whole grain bread with protein sources and i need this carbs included to keep me running through the day. I do not only want to feel full but need energy - which would not be enough per only veggies on side to protein.
The idea to include veggie per Snack and separate more amounts from Main meals is good [emoji108]

According to my surgeon, it's really hard to stretch out your stomach. It's not as easy as just overeating a few meals, so take that worry off your mind.

She also told me to focus on Protein. If full when done eating protein, don't eat anything else. Then veggies. Then grains. So eat one thing at a time and stop when you're full.

3 hours ago, GradyCat said:

According to my surgeon, it's really hard to stretch out your stomach. It's not as easy as just overeating a few meals, so take that worry off your mind.

Exactly. While I think OP is German, and some things sound harsher translated to English, it's not really a matter of "wanting" to stretch the sleeve or not, Anna-Laura. It's simply almost impossible on a normal, sensible diet.

Exactly. While I think OP is German, and some things sound harsher translated to English, it's not really a matter of "wanting" to stretch the sleeve or not, Anna-Laura. It's simply almost impossible on a normal, sensible diet.
My surgery Team and my Nutrition Team toll me to be aware NOT to strech by eating over my portion recommendations. So thats why i am afraid.

1 hour ago, Annalaura88 said:

My surgery Team and my Nutrition Team toll me to be aware NOT to strech by eating over my portion recommendations. So thats why i am afraid.

Well, then you already know what to do! :) Best of luck.

Mach Dich doch keine Sorgen!! You're not going to stretch your pouch out like that. It's okay. As said above, it is just food.

My surgeon was full of piss and vinegar about my eating too much (1600 kcal / 6700 KJ per day)... but I just stop when I feel full, and I have more energy. And you know what? Occasionally I will eat something junky. Usually if I have a craving for something that lasts a couple of days. And after a couple of slow bites of it, the craving is gone.

And I am still losing weight hand over fist.

I will add another voice to the "very hard to stretch out stomach" camp. It sounds like your surgery team might be behind the times on their advice. I have listed to a number of talks by surgeons and researchers who say that there's not much evidence that being able to eat "too much" means your stomach is "stretched out". Some surgeons will look at someone's stomach and say "hmmm, this is bigger than I expected, they must have stretched it out!" But people just have varying anatomy and the stomach naturally stretches and contracts based on a number of factors.