Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 Surgery Buddies

How's everyone doing now that we're into April? Anyone's plan have them on regular diet yet? (I'm still on soft foods for another week.) What's been the most difficult or the most delightful part of post-op life so far?

2 minutes ago, FutureSylph said:

How's everyone doing now that we're into April? Anyone's plan have them on regular diet yet? (I'm still on soft foods for another week.) What's been the most difficult or the most delightful part of post-op life so far?

I'm a week post op today, my food cravings are out of this world, I'm very weak and fatigued, still have some pain in my chest and tummy. I'm not a big fan of being down so ready to feel better

04/06/2022 12:14 PM, FutureSylph said:

I am five weeks yesterday. I’m down 20 lbs (plus another 12 from pre-op diet). I thought I’d lose more the first month. I’m 5’9 and was 297 on surgery day. Otherwise, I’m doing well. I’ve basically listened to my body and intuition on advancing my diet vs my doctor’s office. That said, I’m still eating primarily soft foods and gradually trying more. I love that I’m not hungry all the time like I used to be. Most difficult for me is eating slowly and not drinking while eating. Also, I am not doing Protein Shakes. I work to get my Protein from my food or Fairlife milk. 

1 hour ago, FutureSylph said:

I'm almost through my second week post op. I've lost 11 lbs. If it wasn't for the cuts on my belly and my missing hernia, I wouldn't even be able to tell I had surgery. I do tend to bounce back right after surgery, but then feel it a couple weeks later. I'm still on liquid diet. My guess is, I haven't had anything to stress my stomach yet. I'll reserve full judgement to when I actually progress to eating food.

1 hour ago, FutureSylph said:

My surgery was on 3/3/21 (bypass) I am on regular foods except for tough/stringy meat, raw veggies, breads/rice/pasta, candy and fruits with skins. I am doing ok so far. Protein seems to have a weird/bland-like taste that I am not enjoying so some days I am having a hard time getting my 60+ gms in. Most days I just don't feel like eating...it has become a chore to do so. I have lost a total of 31 lbs (12 with the pre op diet and 19 post op) so I am loving that! Just wish food tasted better! I am happy to report that with the weight loss my feet don't scream at me when I get out of bed in the morning 😁

2 hours ago, FutureSylph said:

I'm on week 5 foods, soft or cooked fruits. I've been slowly adding things and listening to my body. I had my post op last week and my Dr cleared me for normal life. I'm down nearly 60 pounds from the start of the program, only 20 since surgery. Next week is breads and I really have no desire to eat them. I crave cucumbers, almond butter, and chicken wings. I have trouble stomaching my Vitamins, they make me super sick. Most difficult has been getting used to not being able to drink for 30 min after eating. Most delightful has been seeing the difference in my mentality, I'm not feeling so down and sad anymore, I feel like I have something to look forward to every day. Every week is a new food group and every day is a new food, some of which I liked before and hate now, some I hated before and love now. I'm slowly getting more energy again and it makes me feel happy.

4 hours ago, Stephy2014 said:

I'm a week post op today, my food cravings are out of this world, I'm very weak and fatigued, still have some pain in my chest and tummy. I'm not a big fan of being down so ready to feel better

I am 2 weeks post op. I felt that way last week and this week is better.

3 minutes ago, Kimsmom said:

Thank you for saying that, I hope that is the case with me as well.

3 minutes ago, Kimsmom said:

I'm 5 days post op still in pain and hurts to move around. Although I have walked around a little today

3 minutes ago, Armygal 324 said:

I'm 5 days post op still in pain and hurts to move around. Although I have walked around a little today

Omgosh you poor thing, I walk alot, I probably get in at least 200 steps a day. I hope you get better soon.

2 minutes ago, Stephy2014 said:

Omgosh you poor thing, I walk alot, I probably get in at least 200 steps a day. I hope you get better soon.

I used to get in a lot of walking but I'm in so much pain now it hurts to walk

8 minutes ago, Armygal 324 said:

I'm on week 5 and I still have pain in one of the spots my surgeon cut. It gets better with stretching. 😊

Officially 3 weeks post op. Down 85 lbs total since beginning this journey, down 33 lbs since liquid diet and down 18 lbs since surgery. I am on soft foods and loving it. Living on egg variations and grilled chicken.< /p>

2 minutes ago, Armygal 324 said:

I used to get in a lot of walking but I'm in so much pain now it hurts to walk

I found that a body shaper helped me hold everything together too. A tight one. It felt like everything was loose before and every move hurt. But with the shaper on, it had the compression which helped with the swelling and the pain.

1 minute ago, Jlhilton519 said:

I found that a body shaper helped me hold everything together too. A tight one. It felt like everything was loose before and every move hurt. But with the shaper on, it had the compression which helped with the swelling and the pain.

Maybe also try some Tylenol