Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hi there!

I hope some of you could enlighten me. I am potentially having surgery next year, and my bariatric nurse recommended I do the Liver Shrinkage DIet for 2 weeks to add favour to my referral to the surgeons.

I am 9 days in and I have only lost 0.6kg (just over 1 pound). Prior to this, I was eating "normally"-carbs, and treats when appropriate as part of a normal lifestyle and I was losing around 2-3pounds a week (just under 1kg).

I feel really deflated and feel like I won't hit my weight loss for the surgery referral, and that this diet is just not working. I've read other forums, and people have said they're losing 21 pounds in 2 weeks! I really don't understand why I'm losing LESS than I do on a normal diet.

Typical intake:
-Breakfast: 2 pieces of fruit or Meal Replacement shake
-Lunch: Soup with a side of poached egg or a piece of fruit.
-Dinner: salad (Lettuce, cucumber, onion and spring onions. Small amount of added vinegar and light salad cream) with some Protein of choice eg chicken, ham, beef etc.
-Drinks: Water, diet Pepsi (one a day) and 1-2 cups of tea with sweetener and milk.
All of these are done to the portion recommendations, and free foods and allowances.

Please note I am using Orlistat every day and have been for the past half a year.

Hope someone can relieve some imposter syndrome! TIA x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xKirstenx said:

Hi there!

I hope some of you could enlighten me. I am potentially having surgery next year, and my bariatric nurse recommended I do the Liver Shrinkage DIet for 2 weeks to add favour to my referral to the surgeons.

I am 9 days in and I have only lost 0.6kg (just over 1 pound). Prior to this, I was eating "normally"-carbs, and treats when appropriate as part of a normal lifestyle and I was losing around 2-3pounds a week (just under 1kg).

I feel really deflated and feel like I won't hit my weight loss for the surgery referral, and that this diet is just not working. I've read other forums, and people have said they're losing 21 pounds in 2 weeks! I really don't understand why I'm losing LESS than I do on a normal diet.

Typical intake:
-Breakfast: 2 pieces of fruit or Meal Replacement shake
-Lunch: Soup with a side of poached egg or a piece of fruit.< br /> -Dinner: salad (Lettuce, cucumber, onion and spring onions. Small amount of added vinegar and light salad cream) with some Protein of choice eg chicken, ham, beef etc.
-Drinks: Water, diet Pepsi (one a day) and 1-2 cups of tea with sweetener and milk.
All of these are done to the portion recommendations, and free foods and allowances.

Please note I am using Orlistat every day and have been for the past half a year.

Hope someone can relieve some imposter syndrome! TIA x

I cant believe in yet another version of the diet. Have you tracked it calorie wise. Mine was 3 weeks and didnt get more than 800 cals a day If you have lost weight in this run up then you will already have lost your Water weight. Some people dont loose weight and their liver has been reduced enough for surgery. You should have gone with bricks in your pockets to bump up your weight and gained a big loss when you needed it. It seems brutal that you are being asked to do the pre op before you need to put yourself through it for real

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

I cant believe in yet another version of the diet. Have you tracked it calorie wise. Mine was 3 weeks and didnt get more than 800 cals a day If you have lost weight in this run up then you will already have lost your Water weight. Some people dont loose weight and their liver has been reduced enough for surgery. You should have gone with bricks in your pockets to bump up your weight and gained a big loss when you needed it. It seems brutal that you are being asked to do the pre op before you need to put yourself through it for real

Yes I'm roughly having 800 cals a day! I lost 5 percent of my weight just prior to this diet so yeah I get what you mean. I'm really hoping next week I will see a result but if not I'm concerned.

I guess it is slightly brutal but I will do anything to get that surgery!

Thanks for replying x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, gabbykittyvsg said:

Looking at your typical intake, I wonder if you're getting in too many carbs and not enough Protein? How many grams of carbs and Protein are you getting in.

Hi

I am on a low/no carb diet so I'm literally eating the above meals which will he very low in carbs. As for protein, my meat is free so I can have as much as I want. I will typically have three mini chicken breasts cut up into the salad. If I have eggs with anything I have 2 (poached) but eggs are not a daily intake. If I have cheese it's no more than 50g a day and is part of my allowance.

Thanks for replying x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xKirstenx said:

Hi there!

I hope some of you could enlighten me. I am potentially having surgery next year, and my bariatric nurse recommended I do the Liver Shrinkage DIet for 2 weeks to add favour to my referral to the surgeons.

I am 9 days in and I have only lost 0.6kg (just over 1 pound). Prior to this, I was eating "normally"-carbs, and treats when appropriate as part of a normal lifestyle and I was losing around 2-3pounds a week (just under 1kg).

I feel really deflated and feel like I won't hit my weight loss for the surgery referral, and that this diet is just not working. I've read other forums, and people have said they're losing 21 pounds in 2 weeks! I really don't understand why I'm losing LESS than I do on a normal diet.

Typical intake:
-Breakfast: 2 pieces of fruit or Meal Replacement shake
-Lunch: Soup with a side of poached egg or a piece of fruit.< br /> -Dinner: salad (Lettuce, cucumber, onion and spring onions. Small amount of added vinegar and light salad cream) with some Protein of choice eg chicken, ham, beef etc.
-Drinks: Water, diet Pepsi (one a day) and 1-2 cups of tea with sweetener and milk.
All of these are done to the portion recommendations, and free foods and allowances.

Please note I am using Orlistat every day and have been for the past half a year.

Hope someone can relieve some imposter syndrome! TIA x

You should setup an appointment with a nutritionist. The nutritionist can direct you to the proper foods which will help shrink your liver and losing weight. Good luck to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @xKirstenx , I was loosing weight with “normal” food, not shakes before the pre-op diet. I lost 73lb, 33 kg. I lost nothing during the pre-op diet! So, don’t beat yourself up about the shake stage. Talk with your dietitian. We found the shakes had too much carb for me. That’s just me.

I agree with gabbykittyvsg about Protein. My usual real food, before and after surgery consists of 60-90 grams of protein per day. I suggest checking in with your bariatric center to review your personal nutrition plan because each person has a different protein/carb/fat goal based upon your gender, height, and build. And congratulations on your big loosing successes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, gabbykittyvsg said:

Looking at your typical intake, I wonder if you're getting in too many carbs and not enough Protein? How many grams of carbs and Protein are you getting in.

Total carbs yesterday was 239.6g and protein was 65.4g. I havent been told the amounts I should have. Maybe the Soup should be stopped and I should find an alternative?

Thanks! X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Lifestyle Changer said:

You should setup an appointment with a nutritionist. The nutritionist can direct you to the proper foods which will help shrink your liver and losing weight. Good luck to you.

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I'm actually under the tier 3 weight loss service and this is through them. I am following their paperwork. I will potentially seek out further advice very soon x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xKirstenx said:

Total carbs yesterday was 239.6g and Protein was 65.4g. I havent been told the amounts I should have. Maybe the Soup should be stopped and I should find an alternative?

Thanks! X

The carbs are probably too high for a pre-surgery diet. Try decreasing the simple carbs from the fruit and increasing protein. My program's dietitian recommends around 100-120 g of carbs per day, some are a lot less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, learn2cook said:

Hi @xKirstenx , I was loosing weight with “normal” food, not shakes before the pre-op diet. I lost 73lb, 33 kg. I lost nothing during the pre-op diet! So, don’t beat yourself up about the shake stage. Talk with your dietitian. We found the shakes had too much carb for me. That’s just me.

I agree with gabbykittyvsg about Protein. My usual real food, before and after surgery consists of 60-90 grams of Protein per day. I suggest checking in with your bariatric center to review your personal nutrition plan because each person has a different protein/carb/fat goal based upon your gender, height, and build. And congratulations on your big loosing successes!

Thank you so much for making me feel normal. I really was wonder if something was wrong with me.

I'm considering dropping Soup, and upping my protein intake. I will ask my team for a specific amount of carb and protein I should be having. I feel so hungry all the time, does a larger protein intake help with this?

I will be starting from tomorrow, and hopefully see more than 1kg loss in 2 weeks time!

Thank you, it has been hard but any loss is a good loss. It's hard to remember that. I'm trying to find like minded people to chat with too. I have no plus size friends who understand the hard realities of losing weight and Bsurgery. X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, xKirstenx said:

Thank you so much for making me feel normal. I really was wonder if something was wrong with me.

I'm considering dropping Soup, and upping my Protein intake. I will ask my team for a specific amount of carb and protein I should be having. I feel so hungry all the time, does a larger protein intake help with this?

I will be starting from tomorrow, and hopefully see more than 1kg loss in 2 weeks time!

Thank you, it has been hard but any loss is a good loss. It's hard to remember that. I'm trying to find like minded people to chat with too. I have no plus size friends who understand the hard realities of losing weight and Bsurgery. X

Yes, more protein should help. Also, healthy fats help with satiety (feeling of fullness). If you like avocados adding 1/2 to a full one per day may also help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, gabbykittyvsg said:

The carbs are probably too high for a pre-surgery diet. Try decreasing the simple carbs from the fruit and increasing Protein. My program's dietitian recommends around 100-120 g of carbs per day, some are a lot less!

Oki doki I will give that a try. I only have 1 or 2 pieces of fruit a day anyway but I will try to keep then at bay for now. Would you recommend just having some protein as a snack replacement? Eg a chicken breast.

Thanks! X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gabbykittyvsg said:

Yes, more Protein should help. Also, healthy fats help with satiety (feeling of fullness). If you like avocados adding 1/2 to a full one per day may also help.

Excellent idea. I dont "love" avocados but I dont mind them with some egg. Thanks a lot x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Kris10_78

      Any tips on what I should have on hand the first week post op? 
      2 days away!!!!!
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Kaguragetshealthy_87

      What I've learned this last 2 weeks is consistent. That's I've been able to lose a pound here and there. This morning sucked it was 48 degrees but I am working on being consistent and sticking to it. Am perfectly sticking to it? Hell no but I'm working my ass off!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • newsam1154

      A bit frustrated with my surgeon's office currently. Feeling like they are leaving everyone in the dark about when surgeries will start again. Told one thing, then told to do another. GRRR! I just want to be scheduled already! 😫🤬
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Meganator

      I'm losing more than weight. Ran labs to prep for my annual exam and since my pre-op labs in September (sleeved 10/13), I've lost:
      39pts off my Total Cholesterol including... 29pts off LDL 33pts off Triglycerides 18pts off fasting glucose & almost normal range A1C is lower on low end of "pre-diabetic" range My surgeon does labs at 6 months, so this is cool info to have in the meantime!
      · 1 reply
      1. Kaguragetshealthy_87

        Good for you! 😀

    • Mrs.Pose

      Hey
      Post op day 4. Not doing great. Haven't pooped in 6 days .Struggling with water and completing the 3 shakes a day any suggestions on how to win...please advise
      · 2 replies
      1. Little wing

        Hello! I m 3 weeks post op and I just went through the worst constipation of my life
        I was severely impacted for 4 days (it was at the door) it was the worst experience ever!
        within 2 hrs I did 2 suppositories and 2 enemas, it did nothing! I always had the urge to go but it wouldn't come out, with the enemas the urge was greater but still nothing! the following morning I did another enema and nothing. I ended up going to the ER and got IV hydration but they recommended to manually scoop some out which I did but girl it was not enough for relief. My MD recommended: stop protein shakes and go back to liquids only like during week 1 and oral exlax pills, 1 dose and if no bowel movement within 4 hrs then another dose. I needed the 2nd dose by the next day I finally started to get relief.

        my advise before you get so constipated like me, is drink smooth move tea and
        if you get impacted like i was maybe try the exlax after you contact your surgeon and let him know they may advise to stop the protein shakes until you have a bowel movement.

        I know you are only day 4 so maybe not to worry right now. I had my first bowel movement on day 5 post surg. BUT BEWARE of not drinking water!
        I struggle with my water intake too, which is why i became so constipated. all that protein but no water, I know its really hard but we have to try. for me that whole experience has been so bad I am afraid to eat anything! Drinking teas really helps me with the water. I like chamomile and the smooth move tastes pretty good. I also try to ALWAYS have a water bottle in my hand. that is a good reminder to drink it. right now i am assuming you are at home mostly resting so its easy to just have it in your hand at all times.
        and I know its prob bad but I havent had a protein shake in a week. I'm barely recuperating from all that impaction trauma, lol.

      2. Uniquely Me

        I hadn’t pooped in a week also. I was taking benefiber everyday and nothing. I finally decided to take a laxative and went. I’m 9 1/2 weeks post op DS.

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×