Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did the surgery feel for you starting out?

I am scheduled to get the gastric sleeve tomorrow morning and like the worry wart that I am, I am still doing research to prepare myself as much as possible. I have a few concerns/fears mostly related to recovery right out of the gate that I'm hoping I can find answers to. I know it will definitely vary person to person, but I'd still like to brace myself for what's to come.. or rather, what *could* come; Not so much rarer complications but the way your body actually feels.

Here is the questions, thank you so much in advance to whoever takes the time to answer these!

• My apologies if this is worded weirdly.. but, How did your tummy feel after the surgery? Were you able to *feel* your stomach, internally due to the surgery?
- My reason for asking: I feel like I would have to mentally prepare myself if surgery can make my stomach feel like it's an open wound/raw.

• Did you have to have a drain? Note: I'm not sure if this is absolutely necessary, I assume they would discuss it with me tomorrow. If so, how did that feel? Did it hurt or feel weird when it was removed?
- My reason for asking: I didn't know this was something else that gets done with the surgery, I feel like the removal of it would make me rather queasy from the sensation. Yet another thing to mentally prepare for.

• How long did you have to be on clear fluids after the surgery? If so, what clear fluids did you have?
- My reason for asking: The clear fluids for two days prior has been hard for me since I've just been having chicken broth (which doesn't taste that great) and Water, I might have to get some unsweetened apple juice or something. I don't think I can have something like Gatorade unfortunately due to my Citrus allergy.

• Did you prefer cold, room temperature, or warm fluids?
- My reason for asking: I imagine that if I'm able to feel my stomach in a weird way I'd probably be rather nauseous and prefer liquids on the warmer side.

• Sipping. This one is a point of major confusion for me. Would the process of sipping be taking in enough just to wet your tongue, or is it enough to swallow? How long did it last for you? When were you able to drink down 1 ounce of Fluid in one go even if slowly rather than over the course of 30 minutes or so?

• Something I read said you won't be able to drink anything for the first 24 hours and that fluids will be through the IV, is that true?
- My reason for asking: I tend to get a dry mouth/itchy throat when I don't drink water for awhile, so that's another worrisome thing.

• How did you sleep in the first week? If you are a side sleeper, when were you able to finally sleep on your side?
- My reason for asking: I'm a side sleeper, laying on my back tends to be extremely uncomfortable, I typically can only fall asleep on my back if I'm exhausted.

47 minutes ago, LurkieKitty said:

I am scheduled to get the gastric sleeve tomorrow morning and like the worry wart that I am, I am still doing research to prepare myself as much as possible. I have a few concerns/fears mostly related to recovery right out of the gate that I'm hoping I can find answers to. I know it will definitely vary person to person, but I'd still like to brace myself for what's to come.. or rather, what *could* come; Not so much rarer complications but the way your body actually feels.

Here is the questions, thank you so much in advance to whoever takes the time to answer these!

• My apologies if this is worded weirdly.. but, How did your tummy feel after the surgery? Were you able to *feel* your stomach, internally due to the surgery?
- My reason for asking: I feel like I would have to mentally prepare myself if surgery can make my stomach feel like it's an open wound/raw.

Answer - My tummy did not feel like an open wound, but I did have some pain that was well controlled with pain medication. I also had a Hiatal Hernia repaired at the time of my surgery.

• Did you have to have a drain? Note: I'm not sure if this is absolutely necessary, I assume they would discuss it with me tomorrow. If so, how did that feel? Did it hurt or feel weird when it was removed?
- My reason for asking: I didn't know this was something else that gets done with the surgery, I feel like the removal of it would make me rather queasy from the sensation. Yet another thing to mentally prepare for.

Answer - I did not need a drain.

• How long did you have to be on clear fluids after the surgery? If so, what clear fluids did you have?
- My reason for asking: The clear fluids for two days prior has been hard for me since I've just been having chicken broth (which doesn't taste that great) and Water, I might have to get some unsweetened apple juice or something. I don't think I can have something like Gatorade unfortunately due to my Citrus allergy.

Answer - my surgeon only required me to be on Clear Liquids for about 3 days; however, I was only able to tolerate clear liquids for the first 10 days, so I didn't progress beyond that. I drank clear Protein Drinks a lot because that gave me both hydration and Protein in one shot.

- My reason for asking: I imagine that if I'm able to feel my stomach in a weird way I'd probably be rather nauseous and prefer liquids on the warmer side.

Answer - I preferred warm or room temperature drinks. But everyone is different.

• Sipping. This one is a point of major confusion for me. Would the process of sipping be taking in enough just to wet your tongue, or is it enough to swallow? How long did it last for you? When were you able to drink down 1 ounce of Fluid in one go even if slowly rather than over the course of 30 minutes or so?

Answer - for the first 10 days, I had to take really tiny sips. Definitely not an ounce at one time. When I tried to take a bigger sip, I had a painful crampy feeling as the liquid hit my tummy. By week 3 that was easing for me and was gone by week 4.

• Something I read said you won't be able to drink anything for the first 24 hours and that fluids will be through the IV, is that true?
- My reason for asking: I tend to get a dry mouth/itchy throat when I don't drink Water for awhile, so that's another worrisome thing.

Answer - this was not the case for me, no.

• How did you sleep in the first week? If you are a side sleeper, when were you able to finally sleep on your side?
- My reason for asking: I'm a side sleeper, laying on my back tends to be extremely uncomfortable, I typically can only fall asleep on my back if I'm exhausted.

Answer - I was a tummy sleeper. I used a back wedge and under-the-knee wedge for the first couple of weeks. It helped a lot.

Edited by Jaelzion

1. Could you feel your stomach? No, not really. I felt the incisions, but honestly there was so much gas that I didn't feel anything. I worried about this too, especially as I started to drink my liquids, but it was fine. I did feel my stomach about three weeks post-op as the nerves re-grew, but it truly wasn't even pain, just sort of "what on earth is that sensation..." Now I'm fine and doing sit-ups and tuck-ups and kip swings off a bar and bracing for heavy weight lifting no problem. I never took any of the serious pain drugs, and only needed 4-5 doses of Tylenol the first week.

2. Did you have a drain? No. There was a tiny bit of discharge from the largest incision (where they withdraw the stomach), but only for one day.

3. How long on clear fluids? Not at all. I was started on full liquids literally in the hospital. I had to have one day of clear fluids pre-op in order to clear my system so they could see what was going on.

4. Cold, tepid, or warm fluids? At first, tepid or warm fluids felt better. Cold ones were a shock. Now I can drink whatever (8 weeks out).

5. Sipping? I took trepidatious little sips in the hospital. By the time I got home later that day (I didn't even stay overnight), I was taking small but normal sips, at least 3/4 ounce. By three weeks out I was able to take nice little gulps. Now, 8 weeks out, if I want to (if I've been running, f.ex.) I can take 3-4 real gulps in a row.

6. Can't drink for the first 24 hours? Absolute b*llocks. I literally was handed a tray with broth, unsweetened cranberry juice, and cream of rice as soon as I was transferred from the recovery room to my hospital room. That said, I did have dry mouth even drinking. Get you a thing of Biotene at any drugstore and spray it in your mouth. It's the weirdest sensation but it helps immensely.

7. sleeping? I spent the first night on my back because I would have to wriggle a bit to get on my side. I went back to side sleeping on Night Two. Oddly, as I've shrunk (down 51 lbs from surgery weight) I feel more comfortable sleeping on my back despite having been a side sleeper for decades.

Edited by vikingbeast

I had my sleeve 2 days ago.. this was my experience..

• How did your tummy feel after the surgery? 

> Not really. I only felt the stiches, if I touched/pressed on them, or if I bent down too much. I had my surgery at 3 PM, around 7 PM my wife helped me walk a bit on the hallway. By 11 PM I was walking by myself doing laps :).

The one thing I did feel is the gas pain, that was somewhat uncomfortable, 2 days post, it's almost all gone.

Did you have to have a drain? > No drain. Incisions are super tiny.

• How long did you have to be on clear fluids after the surgery?

> 4 days on clear liquids (Water, crystal Light, Gatorade Zero, Broth)

Then 3 days on Clear Protein liquids (Gatorade Zero Protein, Protein Water, etc)

Then on to regular liquid diet (Protein shakes, broth, liquified soupds, etc)

HOWEVER, every surgeon has their own playbook, you'll have to follow yours.

> I am drinking cold water (with and without Crystal Light) and gold Gatorade Zero. Bt the warm chicken Broth is super welcome.

• Sipping. > I use a 1 oz medicine cup. Drank it in 2 sips on the first day, now I can just gulp it. Was told to drink 1 oz every 15 mins. Now I am going wild, and reduced that to 10 mins.. LOL

• Drinking for the first 24 hours?

> You can drink right after you are out of surgery, and sober enough. You don't need to drink, since the IV keeps you hydrated. But, 1 oz of water did wonders for the gas issue. I would wake with pain, drink 1 oz, and walk around, go to sleep, rinse and repeat.

Having said that the day after surgery, I had the leak test X-Ray, and I couldn't drink anything after 12 AM that day.

• How did you sleep in the first week? > Using a recliner. It's easier to get on/off..

Anyways, congrats on taking this step, you'll do great!

Edited by TheTimeIsNear

My apologies if this is worded weirdly.. but, How did your tummy feel after the surgery? Were you able to *feel* your stomach, internally due to the surgery?
- I could not feel my stomach. I had minimal discomfort and it was controlled with OTC Tylenol. I also had no nausea whatsoever.

- no drain. It was laparoscopic for me.

• How long did you have to be on clear fluids after thesurgery? If so, what clear fluids did you have?
- I was surprised - the morning after the surgery they offered me Protein Shakes.

- I had no preference, and was permitted (and able) to take all temps.

• Sipping. This one is a point of major confusion for me. Would the process of sipping be taking in enough just to wet your tongue, or is it enough to swallow? How long did it last for you? When were you able to drink down 1 ounce of Fluidin one go even if slowly rather than over the course of 30 minutes or so?

- I interpret sipping as “baby” swallows - more than just wetting my lips/tongue, but smaller than a gulp.

- that may vary from surgeon to surgeon. I was able to sip Clear Liquids the evening of the day of my surgery.

- I was able to sleep fully prone in my bed, on my back and on my side.

LurkieKitty, you’ll do fine - I have no regrets whatsoever. I will keep you in my prayers!

• How did your tummy feel after the surgery? Were you able to *feel* your stomach, internally due to the surgery?
- Nope couldn’t feel my tummy. The staged return to eating solid food is to support the internal healing. If you follow that carefully you shouldn’t feel any pain just maybe some discomfort (sort of too full feeling), tightness, gurgling or nausea. Pain on swallowing is likely from initial swelling & you will have pain from pulled abdominal muscles & sometimes at the incision sites. .

• Did you have to have a drain?
- No drain. Ask your surgeon if they will put one in or not.

- Two weeks any liquids. You have to start meeting your Protein goals so Protein Shakes, bone broths, strained Soups (no lumps or herby bits), Asian broths (pho, wonton soups, etc just the broth). Milk, green (or herbal) tea were also allowed. I wasn’t allowed juice.

- Room temp or warm/hot were more soothing. I often used warm Water for my shakes or microwaved them.

• Sipping.
- Not a mouthful but a single small swallow. Some surgeons say no to straws but they can be helpful to moderate the size of your sip. You sip as often as you’re able depending on swelling & your healing. Some sip every couple of minutes. Some every 5 or so. Some set alarms to remind them to sip. Just keep the water next to you at all times. And all the fluids you consume count towards your fluid goals. I struggled to swallow initially because of swelling. It was ok after about two days.

- I had water by my bed straight away (& a dishwater broth for dinner that night) plus an IV.

- I can’t sleep on my back at all only nap on the coach on my back. I slept on my side from the day of surgery. I also tend to sleep on my side but twisted to almost on my tummy. Could do this pretty much straight away too. A pillow to support you sleep on your side may be helpful. Whether you can or can’t sleep on your side would depend on how much pain you feel from the pulled abdominal muscles & how much internal swelling you have.

All the best with your surgery & recovery.

Here are my thoughts, I had a great experience- hope you do too. Good luck!

How did your tummy feel after the surgery? Were you able to *feel* your stomach, internally due to the surgery? Couldn't feel it at all. But, I didn't want to use my "ab" muscles to sit up, so I kind of slid off the couch/bed and stood from there. That was probably more due to the incisions.

• Did you have to have a drain? Nope, no drain.

- 3 days maybe? It was fine, I didn't want to eat. Pho Soup was my savior, I found chicken broth and Bone Broth gross. Get plain pho broth from your local Vietnamese place, eventually I added plain Protein powder to it.
• Did you prefer cold, room temperature, or warm fluids? I didn't want very cold or very warm liquids, but soup was warm, Protein Drinks cold, Water cold. It was fine.

• Sipping. Just don't take big gulps or chug anything. Approx 2 tablespoons at a time would work. You need to drink, hydration is extremely important. Sometimes I would end up with a big gulp in my mouth accidentally and would just sort of hold it in my mouth and swallow small sips.

• Something I read said you won't be able to drink anything for the first 24 hours and that fluids will be through the IV, is that true? I was allowed to drink (tea, water, soup, Vitamin water zero).

• How did you sleep in the first week? If you are a side sleeper, when were you able to finally sleep on your side? Sleep on your back, my pregnancy/Ushaped pillow helped. I only took the prescription painkillers at night & they knocked me out. I tried to be careful about it, probably slept on back for a month.