Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'08 - Who do you want?

Who do you want for President?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who do you want for President?

• Mitt Romney
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Rudy Giuliani
    • Barak Obama
    • John McCain
    • Joe Biden
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John Edwards
    • Fred Thompson
    • Bill Richardson
    • Ron Paul
    • Chris Dodd
    • Duncan Hunter
    • Mike Gravel
    • Tom Tancredo

You could be right w/Thompson just now stepping down.

Lauren, I think Romney has a better shot than the rest in taking the republican nomination. I count Guiliani out for not campaigning anywhere other than FL, he shot himself in the foot and half of his staff is now working for free - out of money. McCain, too aligned with the current bumble head in office. Huckabee?? - just too out there *I'm not sure he is financially sound as is Romney at this point to sustain him into the Fall* My husband lived in AR while in college, and he was the local sheriff (Huckabee) he has a lot of history that has yet to make it to the public forum - his, IMO scary persona.

A little part me (no pun here), thinks the Democrats WANT Huckabee. He's easier to beat than say Romney., Not totaly convinced .. but interesting nonetheless.

Oh, yeah, as a Democrat, I kind of DO want Huckabee as the Republican nominee, even though he DOES scare me. He's scary to Democrats, but a lot of Republicans think he's scary, too.

Romney would be harder to beat than Huckabee, but I still think a lot of ultra-conservatives won't vote for him. He'll probably get the moderate and liberal Republicans, but I seriously doubt he'll get much backing from ultra-conservative Christian Republicans. If he's the Republican nominee, I predict a boost for Democrats from the ultra-conservative sector. I doubt they'll consider anyone who they don't think is Christian.

I would not be surprised in the least. Hey, if that happens, I'll be related by marriage to the possible future VP! *shudders in horror* (My SIL's cousin is married to Thompson's son.)

Ohhhhh -- maybe they'll convert you!!!!! :lol:

Romney would be harder to beat than Huckabee, but I still think a lot of ultra-conservatives won't vote for him. He'll probably get the moderate and liberal Republicans, but I seriously doubt he'll get much backing from ultra-conservative Christian Republicans.

I hope, hope, hope, that the "ultra-conservative Christian Republicans" aren't foolish enough to not vote for a Romney because of the Mormon "issue". Being an "ultra-conservative Christian Republican" myself, I hope they'll all do what I would do :lol:

Oh, yeah, as a Democrat, I kind of DO want Huckabee as the Republican nominee, even though he DOES scare me. He's scary to Democrats, but a lot of Republicans think he's scary, too.

Romney would be harder to beat than Huckabee, but I still think a lot of ultra-conservatives won't vote for him. He'll probably get the moderate and liberal Republicans, but I seriously doubt he'll get much backing from ultra-conservative Christian Republicans. If he's the Republican nominee, I predict a boost for Democrats from the ultra-conservative sector. I doubt they'll consider anyone who they don't think is Christian.

I totally thought this way up until about a month ago. Living close if not inside the Bible Belt, I attended my In Laws Church for a Christmas Service. This is as Evangelical as you can get "Assembly of God". There was a prayer encouraging the congregation to show their support for Romney. I about fell out of my chair, and got the look I get from DH when I attend these services (thankfully only 2/3 times a yr).

I think Romney's chipping away at the ultra-conservative sector...slowly, but I hear & see it happening locally (NTX).

My parents were in from FL this past wk, and they say that he's gaining serious momentum there..Thankfully, Edwards is their man:)

Oye where / what will come of this all?? Hopefully the first Female or AA President~

I hope, hope, hope, that the "ultra-conservative Christian Republicans" aren't foolish enough to not vote for a Romney because of the Mormon "issue". Being an "ultra-conservative Christian Republican" myself, I hope they'll all do what I would do :lol:
You and I know that it's stupid, but I wouldn't be the least surprised if it happens. Just judging from reactions of many ultra-conservative Christians in my area and that I've talked to online, whenever LDS/Mormonism is introduced in the conversation,

they start talking about cults, and "not Christian," and things of that nature. I doubt they'll vote for someone that they think is part of a cult. And heck, we're talking about Americans here. We're not exactly known as the most informed voters.

I totally thought this way up until about a month ago. Living close if not inside the Bible Belt, I attended my In Laws Church for a Christmas Service. This is as Evangelical as you can get "Assembly of God". There was a prayer encouraging the congregation to show their support for Romney. I about fell out of my chair, and got the look I get from DH when I attend these services (thankfully only 2/3 times a yr).

I think Romney's chipping away at the ultra-conservative sector...slowly, but I hear & see it happening locally (NTX).

YAY! I'm glad this is happening. It has been my concern for a long time.

My parents were in from FL this past wk, and they say that he's gaining serious momentum there..Thankfully, Edwards is their man:)

Oye where / what will come of this all?? Hopefully the first Female or AA President~

I don't doubt he'll get some (the more intelligent ones, perhaps), but I think a lot of them won't vote for him when it gets right down to it. There's so many people in this country that consider the Christian religion to be the most important thing in their lives, PERIOD, that I really doubt they'll vote someone into the Presidency when they'd be pretty unlikely to hire them for a job, if they applied. They might give lipservice to voting for him now, but I think that'll go out the window when they go to the ballots on voting day and have to choose between someone that they, deep-down, think is in a non-Christian cult, and someone that they do consider to be Christian.

Either way, it's going to be interesting. I don't know whether to hope I'm wrong or hope that I'm right. If I'm wrong, the Democrats will have a lot harder fight. If I'm right, the fight'll be much easier, but it means that a whole bunch of Americans are ignorant asses. :lol:

And heck, we're talking about Americans here. We're not exactly known as the most informed voters.
Touche!

Thanks for explaining the "oxymoron" statement, marjon! I sometimes read these threads way too late at night and sometimes it all goes right over my head! I had never heard that word used that way before.

I missed the democratic debate last night, but from what I heard on the news, I should have watched it with a bowl of popcorn and a hockey face mask on! :rolleyes:

So, what do we do if we decide that ALL of the people running are scary?? Who could the "write in" candidate be, I wonder?? :biggrin:

Touche!

Thanks for explaining the "oxymoron" statement, marjon! I sometimes read these threads way too late at night and sometimes it all goes right over my head! I had never heard that word used that way before.

I missed the democratic debate last night, but from what I heard on the news, I should have watched it with a bowl of popcorn and a hockey face mask on! :cool2:

So, what do we do if we decide that ALL of the people running are scary?? Who could the "write in" candidate be, I wonder?? :rolleyes:

Dude, I think ANYONE willing to take on the office of President (even if it's a write-in) is scary and probably crooked as hell. :biggrin: I think we're down to voting for the least scary, unfortunately.

There might be a healthy black and gay backlash if Romney were to be nominated. Of course conservatives wouldn't mind that one bit.

I'm about to decide that I trust Edwards the most of all the candidates, both Democratic and Repubican.

There is no doubt at this point that McCain has sold out. There is some evidence that Clinton has. And the only way that Obama could have gotten where he is so fast is that he's sold out too. There's no one left on the Repubican side that I would walk across the street for and the fact is that I think Edwards can do the job. He has actually come off as the most intelligent in all of the field. I would be totally shocked if he were to be able to get the nomination though.

A guy I used to know liked to say that a politician is "a whore with the heart of a whore." He was an alcoholic and a speech writer. He also liked to listen to opera. He was prone to announcing this while he was plastered on scotch and listening to opera blasting on his sound system.

Of course all politicians sell out. They must do this in order to be elected. This is all about advertising, this is all about spin. And the more disparate your electoral base the more shadowy and vague your candidate will become if you are actually looking for content, not form.

Up here in Canuckistan we have a broader range of political platforms from which to chose than you do but what inevitably holds true is that once a party finds itself in power it does begin to drift towards the more workable centre. The right wing becomes a little less rightish and the left becomes a little less idealistically left. This is not to say that it doesn't matter who we vote for, that we will end up with the same party in the end: this is most certainly not the case. What it does mean is that the problems of actually applying these political theories does kick in once the party achieves power and often these ideals will of necessity be modified, become watered down....be made workable.

Your friend was square on as far as I'm concerned. And you are about how the thing actually usually works once the election is over. Although in some cases, it does not hold true, as in the case of George W. Bush. He didn't go to a place where it was workable. He made his agenda work. The rest of the world be damned.

mitt romney. we need a strong financial leader . he is also the only one who seems to talk about china.. most americans dont have a clue to the real issues that are hurting this county.... romney has a proven record. he got his mba at harvard.. ( ok so im impressed.)