Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass in April but don't feel too full when I eat?

In the beginning when I started to eat I would feel my pouch fill up, now I don't. I was wondering if it was the soft foods or I was afraid I stretched my stomach already. Weight loss stalls then goes then stalls. Then my stomach will act up and I need immodium or I can't leave home. Just frustrated but I guess it's normal. Just wanted to see what anyone else's thoughts /experiences were.

Bypass was done 4/14

that "stair step" pattern is a pretty common weight loss pattern

as far as "full" - I never feel "full" in the way I did before surgery. Early out, your nerves, some of which were cut during surgery, have to regenerate before your stomach starts talking to your brain again, so you might not feel hunger or fullness. Those sensations eventually return for most of us, but fullness, especially can feel different. I never feel "full" the same way as I did pre-surgery. Now, my fullness cue is discomfort in my chest -- kind of a pressure-like feeling. When I feel that, I know it's time to stop, or I'll end up getting sick. You'll figure out your cues after awhile - but they may be different than before (for some people, a runny nose is their cue, oddly...)

I've never had any issue with diarrhea that I can remember. Maybe you've developed a sensitivity to a certain type of food? Some people become lactose intolerant after surgery - or at least temporarily (or for some, permanently) - and some of the artificial sweeteners (especially those with names ending in -itol) have that effect.

it's doubtful you stretched your stomach. You'd have to chronically overstuff it for that - day after day of overeating. From what I understand, stretching one's stomach isn't very common.

Thank you so much for replying I feel better. I had the lap band a long time ago (removed 5 years later) so I know that full feeling you are talking about and in the beginning of soft food I felt it too so I was worried that it was gone.

The diarrhea they said and probably is true is my IBS acting a fool, I've had IBS since I was in high school and was an athlete so I am sure Beans are not helping. I also think it's probably from sugar free which always bothered me. And I have to chew sugar free gum to help with not smoking. Some days it's just so mentally exhausting you feel like F it but I keep trucking along.

Thanks again and congrats on your loss and for so long that's very commendable!!

I had the bypass done April 5th . I’ve been losing about 2lbs a week . Of course this week I’ve lost nothing . I’m worried about stretching my pouch . I can eat a whole slice of pizza . What’s up with that ? I’m usually good about following the diet but I do feel I’m eating too much sometimes .