Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ridiculous thing we?ve believed

All of these are hilarious! My dad during Halloween time would move my pumpkin throughout the living room when I wasn't looking and told me I had a walking pumpkin. I think I believed that til I was almost 8. We have 3 kids in my family and were always teasing and taunting each other. Most of the time it was my sister and I against the only boy. We used to tell my brother (who was the middle child) he was adopted because he didn't look like either of us. Then we told him he was mentally challenged because his eyes slanted down. My sister and I were cruel as kids.

We used to dress him up in one of my old dresses and ask him to go outside to get the newspaper. No idea where my mom was at the time but he did this several times. After he went outside, we would lock all the doors. After watching him run around the house outside in a dress he would be frustrated and take off the dress and run around naked!

My best though when I was a kid was with my sister. This went on for years....She's 5 years younger and very quiet. She always wanted to play Barbies and nag me til I gave in. Usually about 5-10 minutes after we'd start to play I would take the Barbie head off the body and hold it together so that at the right moment I could and drop the body to the ground. Then I would squeeze the head and make it talk. That always got a HUGE terrifying squeal from her. Also, ended Barbie play for the day.

After I had kids, right up until Christmas Eve, I used to tell them I was going to leave a note on the front door to tell Santa "Not to bother" and if he's already left I had his sleighphone number. Boy, that always got a good reaction and good behavior quickly!

When my husband and I had a long hard day working we would turn the clocks ahead and tell the kids it was bedtime which was 8:30. In reality, it was really 7pm. Just lately we let that slip and oh boy, did my older one get mad!! She said I thought the time went really fast after dinner and I wondered why it was still light out!

My daughter's most famous incident that will be recorded and made public in a street size banner at her college graduation, will be the time she had Water in her ears after swimming. I had drops to put in and asked her to tilt her head. She did and I put the drops in. I said ok, turn your head to the other side and she seemed confused. I asked why and she said and I quote "I'm surprised because I thought it would come out the other side?". I said "me too, hun, me too"! Then another time equally as ironic and noteable was when I came across her standing in the middle of her bedroom daydreaming. I asked her what she was doing and she said "Thinking." I said about what, she said "Nothing.". How do you "think" about "nothing"?

Still to this day, I have both kids convinced I do monthly, random drug screens with hairs from their towels or hair brushes to keep them away from drugs. It works! We also have secret caller ids in the house the kids don't know about so they can't erase calls they don't want us to know about. My husband even made an excel spreadsheet he kept updated regularly of the area codes my daughter was getting phone calls from. This went on without me knowing for a couple of weeks. One night, he comes running downstairs with a huge smile on his face, exclaiming with glee "Do you want to see excel sheet I have on "your" daughter's phone calls?" I asked him if he had a bar graph because I do better with pictures......

When I was little I thought my parent were Wilma and Fred Flintstone. My mom was tall with thin legs and red hair that she swept back in waves from her face. My dad was shaped like Fred Flintstone, had a perpetual five o'clock shadow and was always tinkering on the car. What else was I to think? lol

After I was an adult I saw a picture of my dad - I couldn't have been more than a couple of years old when the picture was taken - at a costume party wearing a fur pelt (two or three more likely!) around his body and over his shoulder! Maybe I saw this picture when I was little and that's where the idea came from. When I asked my mom about the picture I was just sure she was going to tell me she went as Wilma Flintstone, but alas, she was a greek godess or something and my dad had gone as a no-name caveman but we had a good laugh over my parents: Wilma and Fred Flintstone. I guess that makes me Pebbles, huh?

Oh my, some of these are so cute and hilarious. I must admit I was a handful as a child. My mom told me the devil lived in our basement and when I was bad he would be down there waiting for me. Needless to say as an only child it gets kind of lonesome in the colder months and you tend to get into more stuff you are not suppose to. So my mom would tell me everytime I was bad and the furnace would turn on, which was kinda loud, that is was the devil coming for me. This is the time I would make a B line for under the bed cause in my mind no one could get you or see you if you were under the bed!!!!

This is a great thread. I'm having such fun reading these posts.

My grandfather, at dinner, used to tell us kids to "eat every bean and pea on your plate." As a kid, I thought he said "pee" and I kept wondering why he'd want us to pee on our plate.

I also believed in the swallowing seeds and making your belly grow. To this day, I avoid watermelon seeds. In fact, I barely eat watermelons at all. Give me a cantelope, at least those seeds are easier to remove...Ha ha.

When I was about 6 yrs. old, my Mom was pregnant with my little sister. I saw her stomach grow & grow & she was telling me it was almost time for the baby to come out. I used to sit in my room & try to figure out how the baby was going to "come out" & exactly WHERE does the baby come out?!?!? I finally got up the nerve to ask my Mom to explain HOW & WHERE the baby comes out. She said that when the times comes, she would PUSH & PUSH really hard & the baby would come out of her bottom.

Everytime I went to the bathroom I was scared to death that if I PUSHED & PUSHED really hard a baby would come out. I didn't want a baby to come out of my bottom!!!

I became very constipated for several months after that because I REFUSED to push!!!!

I asked her what she was doing and she said "Thinking." I said about what, she said "Nothing.". How do you "think" about "nothing"?

It's called "the quiet mind." It's a zen thing.

When i was little my grandma would tell me to eat all of my peas it would make my boobies grow, here i am today eatting peas enjoying my DD's ... maybe it does work! LOL:biggrin1:

When I was about 7'ish my mom had a Twix candy bar in the car. I went to eat it but she wanted it and told me it was her "poopy" medicine. It was good tasting but would make you have the "runs" all day long. And to not eat it unless I was "stopped up". I didn't eat a damn Twix bar until I was about 19. And I had no idea why it was in the candy aisle. I never bothered to read the package. I just knew it was chocolate that made you poop. My mom was ROFL when I called her and told her I knew the jig was up when I recommended a Twix bar to a friend who felt "stopped up". I felt like a total ass! And she still laughs about it.

Going along with the ice cream truck thing -- we td our kids it was the trash truck (we have curbside pick up). Unfortunately trash day is also a big and exciting attraction to preschoolers. One summer evening when we heard the ice cream man coming my kids all ran out of the house yelling the trash guy! The trash guy! All the other kids in the neighborhood think my kids are psychotic now. We felt so bad, we broke the myth and bought them pops.............

My sister was weeding out the Tomato garden one day (this is when she was like 18 or so) and she threw some bad tomatoes out on to the lawn. Later my dad came by on the ridding lawn mower and blew out a tire. He blamed it on my sister saying the "acid" from the tomatoes had eaten away the tire and made it blow out....she was in her 20's when my dad told the story to every one and had a good laugh. My poor sister was so embarrassed because until that day, she really thought that tomatoes had acid and could blow out a tire.....

I'm so mean!

when my son was little I told him that Pop tarts had alcohol in them and they were for adults only. I just wanted them all to myself because my husband didn't like them.

My son reminded me of the pop tarts the other day. My food addiction has affected my kids in so many bad ways im afraid.

Oh gosh, I have a barrel of them. But a few off of the top of my head are:

When I was a young child. I was very afraid of the leaves in the fall. The way they would be on the ground like crabs, and move with the wind made it seem to me they were alive and chasing me. I would run into the house.

For the longest time in high school, I would hear kids say they were going to the inlet that weekend (I lived in a seashore town) and watch the submarine races. I thought there were like small radio operataed submarines people raced, never knowing it was a code meaning they were going to park and make out. I belived that until my 2nd year. lol

And anyone know that song by Creedence Clearwater Revival , Bad Moon Rising? It goes

"Don’t go around tonight,

Well, it’s bound to take your life,

There’s a bad moon on the rise."

I thought they said

"Don’t go around tonight,

Well, it’s bound to take your life,

There’s a bathroom on the right"

And I just found out I was singing that wrong last year.

I was told the "special pool chemical" story and was terrified to pee in a pool when I was a kid. My friend brought her kids over to swim several years ago and I told them the same story.... that we use a special chemical in our pool and if they peed in the Water a purple cloud would form around them and everyone would KNOW! The next weekend my girlfriend came over to lounge in the pool with me, and before she got in the water she asked me "I am on my period, that wont make the chemical stuff yall use make a purple cloud around me will it?". I laughed my ass off. And by the way she is BLONDE! (but so am I, so no real offense meant to blondes, lol)

in november, my nephew lost his first tooth. my dad, PAPA, told my son, my nephew, and a family friend(all six years old), that the reason why little kids lose teeth is because they lie to their mommies. he has them convinced that the only way they will grow back is if they tell their mommies that they are sorry. the family friend, jackson, and my son, david, still have not lost their first tooth. they were a bit skeptical of papa, as he is truly full of twix. my nephew, david and jackson were outside playing at the deer lease a couple of days later, and jackson just started crying hysterically, screaming, etc. we thought he'd been snake bit or something horrible. we all ran out and calmed him enough to talk to us. between sobs, we were able to put together that he remembered telling his mommy a lie. we immediately provided him with a cell phone so that he could call his mommy and apologize and tell the truth.

tee hee....