Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ridiculous thing we?ve believed

And my mother is really into the afterlife, psychics, etc., so she used to MAKE us have seances (I was a kid, what did I know?) I would get secretly frustrated that my goofy brother would break the spirtual connection by cracking jokes & giggling, so later I'd go alone where it was quiet and try to telepathically move things around in my room. I was raised to believe that if I tried hard enough it would eventually happen - you know, like how Patrick Swayze in Ghost had to keep practicing before he could really move stuff? Needless to say, Bewitched, I Dream of Genie, The Ghost & Mrs. Muir and Casper the Friendly Ghost were all favorites, and I knew one day I'd be either Tabitha or The Flying Nun. Till this day, one of my nicknames is Gidget. Another is Cybil (both Sally Field roles.)

This is just about my favorite thread ever. More please!!!!!

UPS truck? Seeds? I just peed myself and my white panties turned purple! Yep, I could NEVER pee in a pool cause I was afraid the "purple cloud" would point me out.

If anyone pees in my pool at the bash, there's a chemical in there that will make all the Water around you purple. I don't swim in your toilet, please don't pee in my pool!

My brother & sister made me believe I was adopted. As a kid that scared me. But my mother is mentally "not well" to say the least, ugly, mean and awful, so nobody can be around her. Now I get to look at my brother & sister and remind them that THEY are related to her and I have a really normal Mom out there somewhere. They don't like that.

My mom had a Twix candy bar in the car one time when I was about 6. I saw it and got excited. She told me "oh no honey, that is mommy's poopie medicine, if you eat that it will give you the poopies". I was like "ohhhhh" and didn't touch it. For YEARS (until about age 16-17!!! I know I was in HS) I didn't eat a twix bar and always wondered why they put "poopie" medicine in the candy aisle. In candy, I never even ever picked up the package because I "knew" what it was. So why even pick it up and read it? I figured because it had chocolate in it, it was with the candy. I even saw other kids eating them but thought they must be constipated and didn't want to embarrass them so I just kinda snickered to myself because I "knew".

My mom STILL laughs about this.

Don't post often, but HAD to share this story.

P.S. I used to tell my son that there was an 800 number for mom's to call when their children misbehaved. I used to get on the phone, "call them" and "talk" to them when he was misbehaving. Then I got "advice". He took it VERY seriously. Sometimes he would even ask me to call them. ha ha ha. And after I got off the phone, he would listen to whatever I said!! This worked from about age 2-6. Ahhhhh, those were the days. :)

OK here is mine. When I was like 3 I noticed a brown solid birthmark. I thought that this was how people became african american and that it would just keep growing untill I turned compleatly black. I asked my mom how old I would be when I would finish my trasformation into a beautiful black woman and she thought it was so cute that she played along and told me I should be done by the time I was in highschool. I believed this untill kindergarden when I told a little black girl at my school that I was going to be black too and she was lucky it happend so fast for her. She kinda set me strait and I went home furious at my mother.

Biting my fingernails would give me worms and eating raw spaghetti would give me worms were two of my mothers favortie things to tell me. Oh and If I looked crossed eyed for too long my eyes would stay like that

My grandfather always used to say "Eat your green Beans, it'll grow hair on your chest" which was odd...me and my sister would stand there preplexed because we knew he was trying to get us to eat them, why would he tell us THAT? As if we WANTED hair on our chests?! As I grew older, I found out HIS dad used to tell him that, then he told MY Dad, and he was just passing it along. Just the other day I told my daughter the same thing. hehe, he'd be proud!

My boggest this was the seed thing. I would eat watermelon like crazy when i was a kid and my dad told me if i swallowed a seed i would grow a watermelon in my tummy....then i swallowed a seed on accident and i cried for 3 days off and on thinking i had something growing in my tummy...my dad cave me a big glass of Water and said "here you need to water your seed" i freaked!!!

My grandparent's summer home was in the middle of the northernmost Wisconsin woods. All the photos I have ever seen of my Grampa are when he was a young man, with hair, and as a fairly young man (30's) with NO hair! There wasn't a progression of Hair loss, just there one year and gone the next. He told all of us grandchildren and grand-nephews and neices that the reason he was bald was because when the Indians came, they all rode on ponies and all he had to ride was a buffalo and they caught him, then scalped him!

I believed that way longer than I should have.....

My cousin Maria (2 years older than my sister and 6 years older than me) very seriously told us that you would DIE if you slept with your bra on. We didn't know how that would work, but promptly told our mother the news. Wanted to keep everyone SAFE, for heaven's sake!

:)

My younger sister seriously believes she remembers things from before she was born. She will try to correct family stories, with "that is the way it happened, this is how it happened..." I don't know if she realized that she couldn't possibly remember things that happened the way she remembers them. We're talking two years before she was born...

But I can remember things from before I was 2 years old. Freaked my sister out when I described our old airplane and some of the things that happened before I turned 18 months old... Because my mother hold "snappies" a.k.a. snapshots in high contemt, there are no pictures of that airplane....

I used to believe that there were real people in the tv set. That when you turned it off they got a break (or so grandpa told me) and that they need a break everynow antd then. I thought the whole sets, costumes and everything were there (I even loved to peer in the back (I thought they were faires and lived in the "vaccum tubes" - hence the little lights.

I even would sit and turn the sety on and off trying to catch them resting. Never did - cause it was a vaccum set!

... I told a little black girl at my school that I was going to be black too and she was lucky it happend so fast for her. She kinda set me straight and I went home furious at my mother.
LMAO, Bandit! I grew up not far from a busy street where you could see far into the city. When I was about five, my dad told me that the big domes of a church several miles away were in Moscow. I was way too old by the time I realized no one could see that far east on Center Street.

this didn't happen to me, but my brother didn't like going poo in the toilet, instead he would crouch down in the corner and poo, lol anyway. my mom would tell my brother that the ghosts were coming to take him away and the only way to make the ghosts disappear was to poo in the toilet, and then my dad would be in the other room making noises to scare him. haha.

Well, this isn't mine but a friend of mine does this and I thought it was funny.....cuz I get sick of eating at these places too......

When they go out to eat as a family, their kids want to go to Burger King or McDonalds. To get out of eating there without them whining or begging, the parents tell the kids that all the cars in the parking lot are farmers and they are having a big meeting so nobody else can go in there. The kids don't question it so it works!

Only in North Dakota!!

I just found this. How fun!

My birthday is Valentine's day, and I have red hair. My parents used to tell me that all people born on Valentine's day have red hair, because it's a very red day. They also used to tell me that the stores were putting up heart decorations & special candy to Celebrate my birthday. Totally believed it.

You know the Hostess cupcakes with the loops of white icing across them? When I was very young, before I learned cursive writing (redunant), my parents told me those loops spelled my name in cursive.

My parents used to tell me that my tongue turned black when I was lying -- that's how they knew. I'd say something and they'd tell me to stick my tongue out, then say that they knew I was lying because my tongue was black and, sure enough -- I was lying. One day I got smart and looked in the mirror and confronted them about it. They said, "Only parents can see it." Duped again!

They also used to tell me they had a special vision mode that let them see through me. They used this to make me go to the bathroom *before* we left. They'd ask if I had to go, and if I said no they would say, "I can see through you and you're full to your knees/hips/eyes/whatever, you better go try."

Kinda related, I believed it, but it was only a partial deception. My father was in the Navy and would be away on his cruises for up to a year at a time. When he would get back, he would give me whatever gifts he had purchased overseas, and would always have a roll of quarters. He would take the quarters into the backyard and hide/throw them, almost like easter eggs, then tell me "I brought you special quarters from Australia/Hong Kong/Korea/wherever, you have to go find them before they turn into regular American quarters. You have to find them all before you come back in or they'll just turn into regular ones." Pretty clever, actually, and kept me out of the house for a LONG time. I forgot about that until a few years ago, and when I told my parents, "Hey... I know what you were doing -- perverts!" they just cracked up.

I asked my mother once where babies come from. She told me, "All little girls are born with a special seed in their tummy, and when you fall in love that seed starts to grow into a baby." About the same time, my daycare class was learning about science using the "grow your own pinto bean in a styrofoam cup" thing, and we learned that watering seeds makes them grow. I refused to drink Water for over a month because I didn't want to Water my seed & have a baby.

My parents told me that brown cows give chocolate milk, red ones give strawberry milk, white ones give regular milk, yellowish ones give buttermilk, and spotted cows give swiss cheese.

My grandfather used to tell me Tapioca was lumpy because it had fish eyes in it.

My mother used to have a car that had the high-beam trigger on the floor, near the brake, so she turned it off & on with her feet. She used to have me look at the dash and by magic would turn on & off the blue light (beam on indicator), even when we were driving and both of her hands were on the wheel.

No one told me this, but when I was a kid I'd watch a horror movie & of course be scared all night. I had just gotten done watching a vampire movie and just knew that one was going to crawl through my window and get me. So to protect myself, I tucked a blanket up around my neck because, you know, a vampire can't bite through that much blanket. I did this for a LONG time, long enough that even after I'd gotten older and knew better, I'd still wake up with a blanket around my neck.