Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am feeling sick all the time now. I thought this was supposed to get better as more time goes by? I am 9 months out and for the past month or so I feel completely nauseous most of the time. I have been trying to eat a little bit more so I don't lose anymore weight but feeling sick isn't allowing it. I started taking Miralax every day per my docs orders and think that this may be the cause of it? I had to cut back to every other day because it was making me have diarrhea. Now even though I am doing it every other day, I still have diarrhea and a bad belly ache/cramps every day. I called the docs office and they said to keep doing what I am doing and they will see what is going on when I have my colonoscopy. Well that isn't for another month. I used to drink Peppermint tea and that would help but now its not helping.

Have you considered keeping a food log? Maybe there is some food you used to tolerate before surgery that you don't tolerate anymore. Do you feel the symptoms every day all day? There are lots of anti-nausea meds you could try, although some cause drowsiness, so can't be taken when you want to drive/work. I had IBS for years that turned out to be related to a medication I was taking. I stopped eating so many foods, got scared to do so many things, and then after my medications changed, it resolved. Tummy troubles are terrible. I hope you can figure out a solution!

I would stop the Miralax if I wasn't constipated! Diarrhea is a side effect of too much Miralax!

3 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Have you considered keeping a food log? Maybe there is some food you used to tolerate before surgery that you don't tolerate anymore. Do you feel the symptoms every day all day? There are lots of anti-nausea meds you could try, although some cause drowsiness, so can't be taken when you want to drive/work. I had IBS for years that turned out to be related to a medication I was taking. I stopped eating so many foods, got scared to do so many things, and then after my medications changed, it resolved. Tummy troubles are terrible. I hope you can figure out a solution!

Taking your advice and will start to do a food log. I never thought of doing that. Thank You

2 hours ago, kellym1220 said:

I would stop the Miralax if I wasn't constipated! Diarrhea is a side effect of too much Miralax!

I was severely constipated and that is why the doc told me to take it every day. Then I cut down to every other day. I called them yesterday and they still want me to take it every other day. I use the pre measured envelopes and mix it in my Protein Shake in the morning.

The more common side effects of MiraLAX include:

• diarrhea or loose stools
  • gas (flatulence)
  • nausea
  • stomach pain
  • bloating

The miralax could certainly be contributing to your digestive issues. Apparently it should only be taken in short term i.e. only take it when constipated not every day for weeks/months. It can also be dehydrating.

Your issues with artificial sweeteners which you mentioned in another post could also be contributing.

Some develop a lactose intolerance or sensitivity after surgery so a food elimination diet or keeping a food log, as @lizonaplane suggested, may be something to try. There are some things I avoid or don’t eat now because they cause discomfort which I discovered through trial & error - mashed potatoes, char grilled meats/vegetables, etc.

11 hours ago, Arabesque said:

The more common side effects of Miralax include:

• diarrhea or loose stools
  • gas (flatulence)
  • nausea
  • stomach pain
  • bloating

The miralax could certainly be contributing to your digestive issues. Apparently it should only be taken in short term i.e. only take it when constipated not every day for weeks/months. It can also be dehydrating.

Your issues with artificial sweeteners which you mentioned in another post could also be contributing.

Some develop a lactose intolerance or sensitivity after surgery so a food elimination diet or keeping a food log, as @lizonaplane suggested, may be something to try. There are some things I avoid or don’t eat now because they cause discomfort which I discovered through trial & error - mashed potatoes, char grilled meats/vegetables, etc.

I did stop the Miralax despite the docs orders. Haven't taken it in 3 days and still don't feel good. Still having all the side effects you listed. I also stopped eating the Protein Bars that have the artificial sweeteners and see if that helps too. I started the food log this morning and will see what is going on. Thank you

2 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I did stop the Miralax despite the docs orders. Haven't taken it in 3 days and still don't feel good. Still having all the side effects you listed. I also stopped eating the Protein Bars that have the artificial sweeteners and see if that helps too. I started the food log this morning and will see what is going on. Thank you

If you are eating foods that are high in Fiber (sometimes found in Protein bars) like chicory fiber or other things listed as "non-soluble fiber" that could cause these problems too. I would make changes one at a time so you can tell what change is or is not helping.

1 minute ago, lizonaplane said:

If you are eating foods that are high in Fiber (sometimes found in Protein bars) like chicory fiber or other things listed as "non-soluble fiber" that could cause these problems too. I would make changes one at a time so you can tell what change is or is not helping.

Thank you I will do that.

9 hours ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Thank you I will do that.

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I had a real rough time right after my surgery. The first thing was realizing that I had become allergic to the whey Protein. Next I was trying to eat to much to fast. I struggle with food addiction., to this day. I had to get the food storage containers out of the baby section and watch what I put in them. Vegetables, chicken, seafood but not to much. We can't eat off a plate that is too much and it makes you feel miserable. Lastly I used CBD oil I checked with my doc first and it helped me become mentally strong to fight the fight.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:27 PM, Struglinghrd said:

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I had a real rough time right after my surgery. The first thing was realizing that I had become allergic to the whey Protein. Next I was trying to eat to much to fast. I struggle with food addiction., to this day. I had to get the food storage containers out of the baby section and watch what I put in them. Vegetables, chicken, seafood but not to much. We can't eat off a plate that is too much and it makes you feel miserable. Lastly I used CBD oil I checked with my doc first and it helped me become mentally strong to fight the fight.

What does the CBD oil do for you? Maybe I should try it?

It calm me down and helped with anxiety.. They have youtube videos on the health benefits. It was a real mental struggle for me and I'm close to my year and continue to struggle. The biggest thing is take things slow. Eat small portions oh and Alka seltzer gum.

I'm going to just put this out there. Whenever I tell a doctor in clear terms that I am suffering and they don't act to alleviate my concerns, I get another opinion. It sounds like you have no quality of life. Think back to why you had the surgery and what you expected to gain. I don't think this is it. Sending my prayers your way.