Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Ol' Hairy Religion vs. Athiest Debate

Elena, you read one word and automatically assumed I'm enjoying this in a not so healthy way? Stop reading between lines that don't exist. This is my favorite thread based on the level of intelligence and terrifically variant opinions but it was getting too heated so I diverted the topic. You don't have to be here if it's upsetting.

It is an interesting topic by any definition. Not sure what level of intelligence you are seeing in all this. :heh: True intelligence is based upon logic and reasoning; abstract thinking; ability to understand and comprehend beyond your personal beliefs. The ability to understand is the key to intelligence. I'm not sure we are seeing this ability or maybe the desire to understand another point of view.

Me, I respect the opinions of those who can keep the meanness and emotion out of their arguments. (Those who write in the tone of "I am RIGHT so YOU must be wrong", if you know what I mean.) it sure feels like defensiveness to me when the tone goes down those paths. And when someone gets defensive in their arguments I tend to start tuning them out as they may have issues that can't be resolved online.

My posts are generally to ask questions, and promote healthy debate. Occasionally I do post my own beliefs as not to look like a cop-out. But my way of thinking is less important than the potential stimulating debates that are possible when folks leave their egos out of the equation. Ideally we would debate these great subjects, and leave our own personal beliefs out of the discussion. Then, and only then, would we all learn something new.

Whew....'nuf said.:faint:

It is an interesting topic by any definition. Not sure what level of intelligence you are seeing in all this. :heh: True intelligence is based upon logic and reasoning; abstract thinking; ability to understand and comprehend beyond your personal beliefs. The ability to understand is the key to intelligence. I'm not sure we are seeing this ability or maybe the desire to understand another point of view.

Me, I respect the opinions of those who can keep the meanness and emotion out of their arguments. (Those who write in the tone of "I am RIGHT so YOU must be wrong", if you know what I mean.) it sure feels like defensiveness to me when the tone goes down those paths. And when someone gets defensive in their arguments I tend to start tuning them out as they may have issues that can't be resolved online.

My posts are generally to ask questions, and promote healthy debate. Occasionally I do post my own beliefs as not to look like a cop-out. But my way of thinking is less important than the potential stimulating debates that are possible when folks leave their egos out of the equation. Ideally we would debate these great subjects, and leave our own personal beliefs out of the discussion. Then, and only then, would we all learn something new.

Whew....'nuf said.:faint:

Good points Chelle. I don't see the point of arguing personal beliefs. Our minds are free or at least they should be to believe anything we want. If you are a person that requires proof, then you are not going to be a believer. It is as simple as that. But why argue with someone who who does believe. There is no logic, nor does there have to be in a belief unless the believer requires logic.

Personally I find it anoying for anyone to insist that they are right and others are wrong. Who cares, if you are happy and content with your beliefs or lack of them, that should be enough.

It is none of my business what anyone else believes. I really don't even have any curiousity as long as practicing your beliefs don't infringe on my rights or are harmful to to anyone or anything.

Good points Chelle. I don't see the point of arguing personal beliefs. Our minds are free or at least they should be to believe anything we want. If you are a person that requires proof, then you are not going to be a believer. It is as simple as that. But why argue with someone who who does believe. There is no logic, nor does there have to be in a belief unless the believer requires logic.

Personally I find it anoying for anyone to insist that they are right and others are wrong. Who cares, if you are happy and content with your beliefs or lack of them, that should be enough.

It is none of my business what anyone else believes. I really don't even have any curiousity as long as practicing your beliefs don't infringe on my rights or are harmful to to anyone or anything.

Good attitude, Phyllis. I should probably avoid these discussions, but I just can't help myself! Keeps me out of the kitchen tho.

I think I like you a lot, Chelle! :biggrin1:

Threads like this are started with the intention of creating some kind of contrived "controversy" so everyone will get all wound up (use a sing-songy teasing voice): "My religion's better than yours!"

Whatever! ;) Who gives a crap if you're a Mormon, a Catholic, a Protestant, an Atheist, a Baptist, a sun worshipper, or someone who prays to your pet chihuahua "Jesus" because you're nutty as a fruitcake and think your ankle-biter is a god? We have established repeatedly on this site that we all don't agree about religion--get over it already and get on with your happy little lives! :frusty: Why don't we pray about it? Or not!!! :biggrin1:

I think all people who aren't attempting to murder me or a member of my family are just nifty, whether they believe in a religion or not. If you know how to behave and you have enough common sense to treat others with respect, you're cool in my eyes. It's all good! :clap2:

I think I like you a lot, Chelle! :biggrin1:

Threads like this are started with the intention of creating some kind of contrived "controversy" so everyone will get all wound up (use a sing-songy teasing voice): "My religion's better than yours!"

Whatever! ;) Who gives a crap if you're a Mormon, a Catholic, a Protestant, an Atheist, a Baptist, a sun worshipper, or someone who prays to your pet chihuahua "Jesus" because you're nutty as a fruitcake and think your ankle-biter is a god? We have established repeatedly on this site that we all don't agree about religion--get over it already and get on with your happy little lives! :frusty: Why don't we pray about it? Or not!!! :biggrin1:

I think all people who aren't attempting to murder me or a member of my family are just nifty, whether they believe in a religion or not. If you know how to behave and you have enough common sense to treat others with respect, you're cool in my eyes. It's all good! :clap2:

I still hold that it is easier to be happy, nice and giving - than to try and be "right" all the time. I'm sure not wise enough to have all the answers, and I am constantly learning new things. As for the religion debate? Well don't we need to DIE to have some real answers? I can wait.:)