Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone regretted getting the surgery?

14 hours ago, Mariem502 said:

my husband said the surgery took like 20 minutes! I’m sure I still have the same stomach and now feel so hopeless after I was so hopeful 😩😩😩

This concerns me if true. My sleeve was done robotically and I was in the OR for a bit over 4 hours. I question what they could have performed in 20-30 minutes. Different procedure?

2 minutes ago, PolkSDA said:

This concerns me if true. My sleeve was done robotically and I was in the OR for a bit over 4 hours. I question what they could have performed in 20-30 minutes. Different procedure?

The surgery itself takes only about 20 minutes for VSG, from what I heard from an interview with a bariatric surgeon.

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, lizonaplane said:

The surgery itself takes only about 20 minutes for VSG, from what I heard from an interview with a bariatric surgeon.

Hmmm.... then I wonder why I was in there for so long. There was no indication from either the surgeon or other staff that there had been any difficulties with my surgery, and there were no major issues following the procedure. Then again, my surgeon appears to be somewhat OCD and overly meticulous. Maybe he was triple-tying sutures or making bows. 😁

Edited by PolkSDA

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Mariem502 said:

I had my surgery on 4-26 and I am honestly feeling like I did everything for nothing, just some scares on my fat stomach! I am still hungry and I am only supposed to be able to tolerate 2-4oz at a time yesterday I was so thirsty and drink like 3 bottles of sugar free diet tea and 4 bottles of Water really didn’t think that was normal so just to see today I ate a cup of rice and nothing🤔🤔🤔 I think my surgeon just cut my stomach open and did nothing, my husband said the surgery took like 20 minutes! I’m sure I still have the same stomach and now feel so hopeless after I was so hopeful 😩😩😩

P.S. my RNY took about an hour. VSG is not as complicated, so they can probably do it in under an hour. Twenty minutes doesn't sound right, though. Is he sure it was just 20 minutes? If so, I'd ask the surgeon about that...

EDITED to add that I just read the comment above about VSG normally taking about 20 minutes - so maybe this is accurate after all..

Edited by catwoman7

As many have said, I just regret not having it sooner. However, the year of covid delays actually were a good thing for me as I went into it totally certain it was what I wanted, and I was as mentally prepared as I could have been. If I'd had the surgery as initially planned, I might've felt some regret as I just don't think I was mentally ready and it was all a bit rushed for such a big decision (2 months from initial consult to first surgery date).

Now that I've had it and experienced good weight loss (although not done yet), I do have the occasional thought of 'why couldn't I just do this without surgery', but I always go back to having struggled for 20 years, I know I couldn't have done it without and my food addiction would've continued for the rest of my life. I regret needing it in the first place, but I don't regret having the surgery.

My surgery took 2 plus hours, but I had a hiatal hernia repair done as well and the surgeon said they had a lot of issues getting through my abdominal wall because it was so tough and over developed. I’ve watched this surgery from start to finish on medical tutorial videos, it was about 45 mins with that particular surgeon. There are a number of different things that can cause a surgery to take a longer or shorter time period than others such as bleeding, needing to move fat and the liver, anything else that may need a repair, etc. it is not a one size fits all procedure.