Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone regretted getting the surgery?

1 hour ago, ChubRub said:

Surgery was the best medical decision I ever made! I just wish I had done it 5 years sooner!!

It's embarrassing to admit how much I was obsessed with food prior to surgery. I was at a fast food drive thru at least once a day, if not twice a day. Parties were more about the food than they were about the people. Vacations were planned around what restaurants we would we go to.

Not only do I have a brand new body, but I have a brand new mind! Now that I'm not thinking about food all of the time, I have this mental clarity that allows me to think about things that truly matter. I'm a better mother, better wife, and better friend.

I truly love myself -- both inside and out!!!

So much this... never realized how much of our vacation time was spent thinking about WHERE we were going to eat, and now that I'm not checking out the food at parties, I can actually talk to people... although I'm an introvert so that might not be a good thing - LOLOLOL!!

I had a weird reaction to one of the shots they gave me in the hospital and ended up with another emergency surgery the day after my bypass. I regretted it for about a day, but since then I've had no problems. I even asked my surgical team if they pranked me and really hadn't done anything after all. I can't eat nearly as much and if I do I get a little nauseous, but other than that, I love it. My dietician said that 90% of folks never have any real issues so that's more the norm than it is the exception.

It is a bit of trial and error as everyone is different. I haven't found a food yet that I can't have - including red meat - but I also haven't tried any Desserts as I'm afraid to start up my old cravings. Sugar is an addiction after all and for me it is very real, but that is MY personal choice. Are there some things that will change in your life - absolutely. It's the nature of the beast. The only time food wise I've had an ounce of regret was I just wanted to gorge on Chinese food like I would have been able to in the past. It wasn't real hunger, it was just a mental thing that I worked through. I ate my little serving and moved on with my life perfectly satisfied.

4 hours ago, ChubRub said:

Surgery was the best medical decision I ever made! I just wish I had done it 5 years sooner!!

100% this. It's a life changer (and quite possibly a life saver).

I am only a little over a week out and even with all the current restrictions and the occasional uncomfortableness of drinking too fast, I already know it is one of the best decisions I have ever made! I used to wake up thinking about food...that food focused mindset is completely gone! I wake up thinking about what I want to accomplish today and who I will see! It's truly life changing!

I wake up in the morning and food is the first thing I think about. I get up at least three times in the night, open the refrigerator, and graze. I can go months successfully fighting the food addiction and then something sets me off and I slowly sink into the abyss again. I’m only telling my husband about my decision to have surgery because no one has the right to argue against my decision. And honestly, it is not their place to judge. All of your comments are validation that I’m making the right choice. I still can’t wrap my head around the mental changes that occur with the surgery, but I can believe it based on all your comments.

It's embarrassing to admit how much I was obsessed with food prior to surgery. I was at a fast food drive thru at least once a day, if not twice a day. Parties were more about the food than they were about the people. Vacations were planned around what restaurants we would we go to.
Not only do I have a brand new body, but I have a brand new mind! Now that I'm not thinking about food all of the time, I have this mental clarity that allows me to think about things that truly matter. I'm a better mother, better wife, and better friend.
I truly love myself -- both inside and out!!!

First wow to you for changing the way think about food etc... Can I ask how you changed your mind set. As I'm really struggling to get this horrible addiction out my head.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BariatricPal mobile app

I am only a little over a week out and even with all the current restrictions and the occasional uncomfortableness of drinking too fast, I already know it is one of the best decisions I have ever made! I used to wake up thinking about food...that food focused mindset is completely gone! I wake up thinking about what I want to accomplish today and who I will see! It's truly life changing!
This is great to read. I'm struggling with those thoughts everyday day, all day. Can you explain more how you changed your mind set?

On 4/28/2021 at 2:08 AM, Roses436 said:

My GP believes all it takes is sheer willpower -as in “Just start eating healthy and exercising”. Looks like I’ll need to find a more supportive doctor. As for red meat, the woman giving her testimony at the info meeting said she had a lot of trouble digesting it and it seemed to stay in her stomach for a long time.
I’m so glad to read all the positive comments and honest answers. Thank-you.

I have no regrets and glad I made the decision to do this. I can eat anything I want, but I do have to make choices about what I eat and be prepared for the consequences. I eat some red meat and some other meats in small portions, but it sits heavy in my stomach and causes discomfort if I over-do it. But, that small negative is far outweighed by the fact that I am a completely new person, almost 100 lbs lighter, and doing things that I haven't been able to do in 30 years. I enjoy a Coke Zero from time to time, but not every day. I eat a hamburger once in a while (but maybe only half), but not often. As long as you keep the mindset to put down the food whenever it is time to stop, even if you aren't done, you should be fine.

But, if sheer willpower was enough, all of us here wouldn't need this. The fact is that that wasn't working. I'm only 7 months out, so time will tell how successful I'll be. We'll see, but I'm happy with it so far.

Edited by billho

5 hours ago, Hovallar said:

First wow to you for changing the way think about food etc... Can I ask how you changed your mind set. As I'm really struggling to get this horrible addiction out my head.

It just happened organically. No therapy, no self help books, it just happened naturally , and I think it happens to most of us over time...it just takes time.

I'm a year ahead of you in the process (my surgery was 12/18/19), and it probably took about a year...maybe 13 months...to get to place I am now mentally. I also think that being thin helps me maintain that place in social situations. When I was heavy, not only did I want to eat the food, but then I also felt like people were judging me if I ate too much, too little, made healthy choices, made unhealthy choices, etc. Now that I'm tiny, I feel like nobody cares what I eat, and I can just do my own thing. I think that will happen to you too! At some point we just get out of our own head!!

I had a similar experience- I went through 90% of the pre op requirements and stopped because of negative support from some doctors and friends and my own fears. A year and a half later I started again. It took me 13 months because of COVID to complete the pre op and get a surgery date for gastric bypass. It’s been 6 months and I’m down 62 lbs. I’m eating high Protein low carb. When traveling I go to McD for egg McMuffin and toss the muffin. I try all fruits, vegetables and meats. I skip things like steak because I don’t like the way the first bite feels in my mouth or stomach. Thankfully meatballs are ok! I even drink wine. Yes, my old lifestyle changed but it’s been worth the improvements in my physical abilities and outlook. Good luck!

17 hours ago, Roses436 said:

I wake up in the morning and food is the first thing I think about. I get up at least three times in the night, open the refrigerator, and graze. I can go months successfully fighting the food addiction and then something sets me off and I slowly sink into the abyss again. I’m only telling my husband about my decision to have surgery because no one has the right to argue against my decision. And honestly, it is not their place to judge. All of your comments are validation that I’m making the right choice. I still can’t wrap my head around the mental changes that occur with the surgery, but I can believe it based on all your comments.

The surgery has helped, but I would suggest to you that you add in the therapy part too. Head hunger is still a very real thing even though I'm not physically hungry.

13 hours ago, Hovallar said:

This is great to read. I'm struggling with those thoughts everyday day, all day. Can you explain more how you changed your mind set?

It just happened naturally when I was on the 2 week pre-op diet. I was so focused on what I needed to do to ensure I was able to get the surgery and after the surgery, I have had no hunger at all. And through all that I am feeling better, and thinking about all the fun activities and outings this summer and food is just not on my mind.

I went to my post op drs appt the other day and drove past all these fast food places and thought, wow, none of them sounded appealing AT ALL. I actually had a feeling of revulsion when I thought about the food I used to eat at most of them. My desire for that type of food is gone...it's as if I had surgery on my brain instead of my stomach! 😁

I absolutely do not regret it. I am 9 months post op.. I was almost 400 pounds. I've lost 144 pounds.. I still weigh 248, so I have more to lose, but it's a world of difference from where I was before and I feel amazing.
As far as eating, there really isn't anything I can't have, except carbonation. I didn't drink soda anyway, but I do miss sparkling Water. It's worth it not to have it, but after a year I am allowed it in moderation. I never was a fast food eater, but if I really wanted it I'd have it on occasion and just try to make a good choice. I personally don't like fast food so it's not something I have to worry about.
I choose to focus on all the wonderful things I have gained by getting this surgery. I can do so much more, I can fit into so many more places, and I feel so much better. I don't feel like I've lost anything except the weight!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m 2 weeks post roux rn y a d I’m happy! I ran 2 miles including a giant hill yesterday and walked 3 more miles after that. Went back to work 10 days after surgery and I’m doing very well. I did progress my food incorrectly last night and had a bad morning from beef stew!!! So I need to stick with Protein Shakes got a few days, but I’m not dying or hungry and I’ve lost a lot of weight so far, even people who don’t know about my surgery are commenting on how good I look- my asthma has disappeared and reflux/ heartburn and jusT moving is easier! I think this has added 10 years to my lifespan, maybe more. I’m very happy!

I am almost 2 years out. I do not regret the decision to have weight loss surgery at all although if I had known I would end up needing a revision due to reflux I would have chosen bypass initially instead of sleeve but I had no way of predicting that. I'm down 172 pounds. From a 54 BMI to a 24 BMI.

Russell stover makes delicious sugar free Peanut Butter cups. There are reese's and Quest ones too. I made what I call peanut butter cup oatmeal for Breakfast today which is oatmeal, pbfit powder for Protein and Walden Farms zero calorie chocolate Syrup. I've had diet coke a few times but carbonation bothers me so I have to let it go completely flat and it isn't worth it. I don't miss it too much.

My PCP wasn't super big on WLS but my insurance didn't require a referral from him and honestly when I went back for a regular visit about a year post OP he was happy to see that it had been successful for me to have surgery.

I don't eat red meat often as I don't do as well with it since my galbladder was removed.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:30 PM, Roses436 said:

After a couple of false starts, I made the call today for my initial consultation. I attended a seminar in the past where I was scared off by all of the possible negative results. Kiss your Mickey D’s diet Coke’s goodbye. Your Peanut Butter cups. Any red meat. I wasn’t sure I could give up all my favorite foods forever. It also didn’t help that my family practice physician was dead set against it. (Anyone run into that snafu?). So I went on another yo-yo up/yo-yo down diet, once again ending up weighing more than I ever have before. Reading what people write in this forum makes me believe that J can be successful and frankly, I’m out of other options. My question is, has anyone regretted having the surgery? I’m in the fact finding portion of my journey and would really like to know.

Honestly, I had complications my surgeon accidentally obstructed my bowels so a week later I had emergency surgery, I was producing excess saliva, I couldn’t take in any fluids and my body no longer can tolerate artificial sweeteners. I couldn’t drink my favorite thing in the world like I wanted to anymore, Water. I am now on May 3rd going to make 2 months out! I want to say 2 weeks ago everything got better fluids started rolling in. No more nasty taste in mouth no more excessive saliva. I no longer have diabetes and I crave healthy food. I’m getting my fluids in and I can drink my water cold and get through 20 ounces in 30-45 mins. So yes I regretted it at one point but now I don’t. Everyone reacts to the surgery differently if you do have a hard time after just let your body heal and it will get better.