Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone gotten the Covid Vaccine after surgery like weeks later? I am debating if to wait like at least a month or at least 3 weeks post op just because I am wondering if there is enough studies out there to know if it would cause any side effect because they are to close together. I am going to talk to my doctor but is there anyone that has gotten any of the vaccines>

The covid vaccine will likely trigger an immune response or even a low grade fever. What you are trying to avoid is confusion as to what is causing a medical issue or fever (is it an infection from surgery vs vaccine response)...so I would think at least two to three weeks but best to confirm with doctor as you have said.

I have had the first pfizer dose no issues other than an ache in the arm that lasted less than 24 hours.

I had my first vaccination - Moderna - 2 weeks after my VSG. Felt fine aside from a sore arm for a couple of days.

When I went to preadmission before my surgery (March 29), I had asked the internal medicine doc if I should wait after surgery before getting the vaccine. She had advised me to wait a few weeks after surgery. Since it will illicit an immune response...and suggested making sure I am healed up from the surgery first. Mine first dose is booked for next week. Other than not spreading your immune system too thin, she didn't cite and reason not to get it after surgery (few weeks).

Same as everyone else. You want to wait long enough to make sure if you have an adverse reaction that you can tell whether it's shot or surgery related.

I'm 10wks out & I got it (Moderna) just had a sore arm for 2 days. 2nd shot on the 22nd. But I still get tested when I see family.

I'm getting my first Moderna shot today but I am almost 2 years out. Definitely check with your surgeon as they may recommend waiting a little more if you still healing.

I got first Pfizer vaccine two weeks post op and just got second dose with no issues.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:36 AM, njlimmer said:

Same as everyone else. You want to wait long enough to make sure if you have an adverse reaction that you can tell whether it's shot or surgery related.

That is exactly what I was hoping to make sure I knew if any reaction was surgery or shot related. I did get it on Friday! the Pfizer and I had no reaction. I am glad for my bariatric pals for replying.

On 4/16/2021 at 6:10 AM, ShoppGirl said:

I got first Pfizer vaccine two weeks post op and just got second dose with no issues.

I got the Pfizer on Friday! no side effects nothing! I did ask my doctor it had been two weeks since surgery and he said it would be ok.

So I had my 1st dose of Pfizer just before my surgery. My only symptom with the first dose was some arm pain. I got my 2nd dose 2 days ago. I started to experience symptoms late Friday. Saturday around noon I had chills, fever of 101.3 and took some Tylenol and got sleep. I got up and checked again around 6pm and it was 103. I called in to check and they told me these symptoms can last for up to 72 hours. Today I am feeling and doing all better. :)

Edited by ShaneM
Proofread

I got my second shot of the vaccine 4 days after surgery and I had no issues. But everyone is different and might have a different response to it. Had the Pfizer

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app