Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-op: one last binge

My surgery date is 5/5/21. Last week I was 267, down from my high of 283. I was doing pretty well until I got a thought... “this is my last chance to eat badly” .... so in 2 days I got a small Sonic blast, a Whatabirger Jr, a medium french fry, then got Thai food with rice and ate two portions, then a pint of Blue Bell and, of course! Today I got on the scale and have gained back seven pounds.

Has anyone else done this? Why did I do this to myself?

People refer to this as having "food funerals". I didn't have the opportunity because my surgery was scheduled so abruptly that I had to start the pre-op the same day I got my surgery date. But it's not an uncommon impulse.

The good thing to remember is that you can very likely enjoy those foods again. The post-op diet starts off pretty strict but by the time you are done losing weight you can eat almost anything (minus the one or two items that still upset some of our stomachs). Not as often and in smaller portions, but very few foods are off-limits forever (my bariatric team gave me two: carbonated drinks and popcorn).

In the two years since my surgery I've had Chick-Fil-A, Thai food, ice cream (non-dairy for me), and other goodies. I'm still not able to eat ground beef, so hamburgers are not on the menu. But since they don't sit well in my tummy, I don't miss them. Practically anything else, I can have if I really want it (just not often and not all together). Part of learning how to maintain is learning how to have an occasional indulgence without going into a destructive binge. So, you don't really need to have food funerals. You're not saying goodbye forever to most foods, just "I'll see you later".

Forgive yourself and look forward! Exciting times ahead. Hugs. 🤗

I have contemplated eating what I want too while getting all my pre op stuff done. But then my blood work came back saying that, instead of still being borderline, I was now in fact Type 2 Diabetic. Luckily I had already started Keto weeks previous before that test came back (to get me used to no sugars or bad carbs). But yeah before that I most definitely felt like saying eff it, I'm gonna eat what I want while I can. But nope, figured I'd take this time now to prepare myself for what needs to become the norm for me anyway once this surgery is done. But I totally get your way of thinking. Had my blood work not come back like it did I may have even done the same but that scared the sh*t outta me because it is something I had been trying to avoid for years now.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

4 hours ago, SoulGardener said:

My surgery date is 5/5/21. Last week I was 267, down from my high of 283. I was doing pretty well until I got a thought... “this is my last chance to eat badly” .... so in 2 days I got a small Sonic blast, a Whatabirger Jr, a medium french fry, then got Thai food with rice and ate two portions, then a pint of Blue Bell and, of course! Today I got on the scale and have gained back seven pounds.

Has anyone else done this? Why did I do this to myself?

forgive yourself and keep going. I did that - the night before I was supposed to start the liquid diet - we went out to eat at a steak place, I had apps, even desert which I never have. Its done and over now move on and don't beat yourself up over it.

I ate badly right up until my preop diet.

I did it too and I feel like most of that weight came off real easy during pre op diet cause I lost 14 pounds pre op and I started with lower BMI. Forgive yourself and move on.

I'm having some thoughts about food funerals. I had initially been told by my surgery center that my insurance would likely require me to lose weight between the first month of nutrition classes and the last, but I confirmed with my insurance company that they do not require this. I still would RATHER have less to lose after surgery, but I have already lost 26 lbs since I decided to have WLS, and I'm running out of steam right now from the strictness of what I've been doing. I'm not saying I want to have food funerals, per say, but like, my cousin is having family over in a few weeks and there's going to be a lot of people. She specifically asked me if it was okay if she ordered pizza since there will be so many people but she knows I'm trying not to eat a lot of carbs. I said it was fine; I'd eat a slice or too. She said she's going to make a salad too (I would have offered to make a salad but I will be out of town until that day). I know after the surgery I would have to bring something I could eat, or eat first, but for now, I just want to be like everyone else (only fatter hehehe). I am going to try to only have one slice and hopefully I'll manage that.

The other tricky part is the family vacation the week before... eating at restaurants with my parents and dealing with time zones!

The past two weeks/week and a half I had my most favorite foods before starting my liquid diet today. Since March 1st I have been low carb/no sugar but wanted to get my one last hurrah with some of my faves cause I'll either never be able to have them again due to possibly not liking them in the future, not tolerating them, being a while before I can have them, or just plain no longer being interested. LOL Plus I had an anniversary, my birthday and Mother's Day to Celebrate early since MD comes when I'm already on the liquid diet and the other two come right after surgery. LOL

So yeah, this week I had....

Chinese food (my favorites....chicken lo mein, pork fried rice and shrimp rolls)
White pizza (a few slices)
Cheesesteak and a side of chili cheese fries
Homemade baked macaroni and cheese
My homemade Pasta salad (that we usually have throughout the Summer)
And I baked a cake we all love here and had a few slices of that
Oh and for my last meal yesterday, a few bean burritos from Taco Bell (have always loved them....LOL) Hubby was like, do you REALLY want this as your last meal? LOL

Anyway, glad I did it. And also didn't gain a thing from it so that's always good.

Thought about eating something greasy and fatty. But I was told that would make your liver do something and surgery could get canceled. Worked to hard for that to happen. I figure I will wait 1 yr then try it hopefully I won't.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app