Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all February Bandsters!

I have been researching this surgery for @< 2-yrs & @ the same time trying to figure out a way to privately pay. I have Kaiser insurance & they only cover RNY.

My husband turns 59.5 on Feb 8th. I thought he wanted hard wood floors. When I mentioned the surgery and the reasonable cost of getting the surgery in Mexico; he said, "I could care less about hard wood floors! I care about you getting healthy"

So, off we are going to Mexico & we are both excited!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Karen

Heeellllo Everyone,

I am new to this site and nervous. I have made a conscience decision to schedule my surgery in Mexico on February 8th. No one knows this......My husband is still stating he does not think we can afford it, but I can not put a price on my health. For those who are self payers, how does the cost impact your finances?:help:

I have been researching this surgery for @< 2-yrs & @ the same time trying to figure out a way to privately pay. I have Kaiser insurance & they only cover RNY.

My husband turns 59.5 on Feb 8th. I thought he wanted hard wood floors. When I mentioned the surgery and the reasonable cost of getting the surgery in Mexico; he said, "I could care less about hard wood floors! I care about you getting healthy"

So, off we are going to Mexico & we are both excited!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Karen

Have you checked with Kaiser recently? I have a friend who just had the band done in the middle of this month by Kaiser.

I just got off of the phone with Kaiser in Southern California and the customer service rep stated Kaiser does not cover the lapband surgery and the gastric bypass can only be done for patients whose BMI is over 40 and have other medical conditions AND all other programs that Kaiser offers has been tried... I was sad, so it looks as if I am back to thinking about self pay.

Glynda,

I am so sorry, my condolences. I recall how heartbroken I was when I learned that my insurance excluded all WLS. As soon as I learned about lapband I just thought, surely my insurance will cover it! Mine didn't, my husband's didn't, so The End of that dream. And here I am more than 2 years later finally with a surgery date and self-paying. I hope that you're able to find a way to make it happen, and faster than I did (I am financing part of the surgery). Don't give up yet! Keep us updated!

Viri

I just got off of the phone with Kaiser in Southern California and the customer service rep stated Kaiser does not cover the lapband surgery and the gastric bypass can only be done for patients whose BMI is over 40 and have other medical conditions AND all other programs that Kaiser offers has been tried... I was sad, so it looks as if I am back to thinking about self pay.

It has to be that Southern California Kaiser does not approve the lap band, because my friend did get the lap band through Kaiser. We are in Nor-Cal however.

I am so sorry to hear that! Is there another insurance you can switch to?

Viri,

When is your date and what dr are you going to? I am talking to my husband about financing. I continue to tell him we can not put a price on my health. So he said he will think about it. I still have a date, February 8th.....with Dr. Aceves in Mexico.

It has to be that Southern California Kaiser does not approve the lap band, because my friend did get the lap band through Kaiser. We are in Nor-Cal however.

I am so sorry to hear that! Is there another insurance you can switch to?

Yes, it is is Southern California Kaiser. They are recommending I try a Optifast Program, which I have to pay for myself....I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of Kaiser. I can not change my health insurance for a few months. I think I have settled to self pay...(just waiting for my husband approval of the financing)

Hello there..

I just got my date today!! I'm scheduled for February 5th!! So excited!! Definitely a great New Year's gift. I'm working on getting my ticker loaded. Can't wait to see that sucker moving in the right direction. Would love to stay close to this group since we're all in this together. I'm 245lbs, 37yrs old, and my goal weight is 140. Look forward to seeing you on the boards.

Amy

Hello February Bandsters. :wave:

I am hoping to join you.

I am currently waiting for insurance approval. I thought it was all taken care of but because of an insurance name change, my paperwork got lost so I am waiting again. :o

First available pre-op appointment with my surgeon is Jan 30 but I can't even make that appointment until I have my insurance approval.:ohwell: I feel like I am running around in circles.:violin: Glad to have such a wonderful support group here.

Are you kidding me? This is probably the best thing you could do for yourself. Your son is not the one who is living your life as an obese person, you are. Does he not want his mother to be around in the future. Does he not understand the ramifications of obsity like diabetes, heart disease, stroke and cancer. Does he know that 95 percent of people who loss weight on a diet regain that weight and more? Do it for you, not anyone else!

Hi all!! I just spoke to my surgeon today and I have a date. February 8th!!

I, like many of you, have researched this method for years. About 4 years ago, my best friend and I went to the surgeon and had a consult with him. She really went as my support, and she wound up having by pass. She has done awesome! But I backed out. Then I decided that I wanted to do the lapband, and my insurance company said no! Our insurance changed, and I tried again. This time both insurance companies, mine and hubby's, said yes.

I was never really overwieght until I started having kids. At one point I was about 260 on my 5'4" body. I took Phen-Fen and lost about 90 lbs. But then I got pregnant and got right back to over 200 after the baby was born.

I have always come up with a million excuses why I couldn't lose the weight. And then I had a million more for gaining it. (Mom died, Dad died, career change, illness) But a couple of years ago I found out I have an inoperable tumor in my hip and it is really painful. I can't excersise and the heavier I get, the more pain I have. So I decided that if I couldn't lose the weight on my own, there is no shame in having help. If I had another illness, I wouldn't think twice about getting help.

So here I go. Taking this huge step in my life with the rest of you. I am excited for all of us. I can't wait for the days when we can tell each other how much we have lost!!

I'm so excited, I just got the call that my surgery is scheduled for Feb 11:) I can't wait. I'm not even nervous, i'm totally excited. Even though I still have to have an endoscopy done and I may have to have an open surgery, that all pales in comparison to the end result.