Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all February Bandsters!

I've made a decision that when the surgeon's office calls to set up my surgery date in the next few days or weeks, I am going to push for February. Preferrably the 11th, because where I work that would give me two Holidays off, plus one of my Friday's off. I have the 9/8/80 schedule if anyone out there knows what that is, or has it. I plan to take full two weeks off. Why not? I have plenty of time on my books, and I want to be sure I stick to my liquid diet 100%! That can be hard to do if you're stuck at work and end up not bringing enough to keep you satisfied during the day.

So, anyone else out there with a date that month or trying to push for it? I'd love to hear from you and see how it's going.

Here is my journey, I hope your up to a long read...

I began looking into the lap-band surgery about three years ago when I first heard about the surgery. Not very intently at first of course, and I always said I'd never even consider bypass.

Not long after hearing about it my PCP told me I had chronic hypertension. Well, I was only 30 years old at that time! I was blown away. I was a chubby child (not bad), but at about 12/13 I lost the weight and was able to keep it off until about 19. It was about 2 years later I met my husband and we married shortly afterward, and it was at that time I made the most of my weight gain. It was like I was sleeping all though it and I never realized it happened. My eyes were really opened that day my doctor informed me of my disease. Well, needless to say I hadn't even stepped on the scale in many, many years. I was wearing a size 28 at the time of my diagnosis. I made a conscious effort to lose some weight on my own, still not fully supporting the idea of surgery. I did pretty good. I did it through good old better eating and exercise. I lost about a pant size before making that ultimate step onto the scale. It said 315!!!

OMG! :faint:

You know, I knew I was pretty bad off, but still - even then - I didn't imagine it to be that bad. Keep in mind I'd already lost some weight. I've come to terms with it now, and can easily say I was probably at my max upwards into the 330's.

Well, I continued to lose a little more weight in the same way - but somewhere betwee 270 and 280 I'd stopped. I've been yo-yo'ing the last ten pounds ever since. I've been this weight for probably the better of two years now. It was at the beginning of this year I realized I needed more help. I figured I needed a little something to keep my portions in control, as I noticed by journaling my intake I tend to "overeat" especially during dinner hour. Breakfast and lunch are perfect, as always. I do great when my mind is busy at work.

It took a lot of courage to ask my PCP about bariatrics. It was almost as if I was admitting to myself especially that yes, I'm fat, and yes - I can't lose it alone. My travels from there have been long and arduous. But one moment of it, I do not regret. I am so thankful for the six month dietician appointments, as it prepared me a great deal and in so many ways. I don't think I will be as successful had I not done them.

I am so close now, I can see the Bandland gates from here! :)

So, anyone still going through the toughest part, HANG IN THERE!! It is, and it will be SO worth it.

I simply can hardly wait!

Hi Irene,

Our stories are nearly identical...I too gained most of my weight after high school and into my early adult life. I am married with three small children and think that ten pounds a year or per child has quickly caught up with me. My max was 264 and I am at 250 most days now. I am hypertensive and also in my 30's. I went to the class on October 12 and met with my internist on Nov 9. I was petrified to talk to her about it. I had nonchalantly mentioned banding to her in the summer, but she brushed me off. I have been doing a ton of research and finally decided that I would make an appoinment to specifically talk to her about it. I really wanted her honest opinion. To my surprise, she was very supportive. My appointment with the surgeon was Nov 29, mandatory support group meeting Jan 5, psych eval Jan10. I have been seeing a dietician since October....for my insurance I have to see one monthly for 6 months...ugh. She really isn't much help and is very judgemental. So all that being said...I am hoping for a February surgery date. The surgeon said he thought my three months on Weight Watchers this summer would count towards my dietician supervised diet. I am not really sure. Keep me posted about your progress...GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi!

My surgery date is February 15 and I am very excited about it. I first heard about lapband a little over two years ago and have been researching it ever since. I always knew that I would not be interested in gastric bypass, but after countless diets and being obese my entire life, I knew I had to do something permanent and drastic.

I went through a few jobs and different insurance companies, had surgery scheduled once then quit my job and had to start over again. Finally a few weeks ago I decided that yes, THIS is the time. I am at my highest weight ever, 302 lbs at 5'10". I need to lose a person!

Hello

I am scheduled forthe lap band Feb 7th 2008. Starting to have doubts. My son wasnt real thrilled with this idea and I am not 100% confident my husband is ok with this. he says he is but i am not sure. My son was bothered by it. So now I am wandering if i should go through with it or just cancel. Anyone with advice?

Hello<br /> I am scheduled forthe lap band Feb 7th 2008. Starting to have doubts. My son wasnt real thrilled with this idea and I am not 100% confident my husband is ok with this. he says he is but i am not sure. My son was bothered by it. So now I am wandering if i should go through with it or just cancel. Anyone with advice?

This is just my take on it, but I think you need to be sure that this is right for YOU. It's not your son or your husband who has to live with it, it's your body and therefore it's your decision. Of course it would be great if they were supportive of you,but I don't think you should cancel solely because they aren't 100% on board with it. You should cancel if you're not sure that it's what you want to do. But if you feel confident that you've done the research and this is the best way for you to get healthy, then you should go for it. Life is too short. Explain what I just said to them -- this is what you think you need to do and that you would appreciate their support, even if they don't agree with it. Best of luck!

Hi all fellow February lapbanders!!! My surgery is scheduled for 2/11/08 7:30am. Yes, seems so far away but will be here b4 we know it. My story(short & sweet version) is I was never overweight as a child or teenager but after I had my first son at age of 20 the saga began. I have 3 wonderful sons & with each pregnancy I gained less & less baby weight but it was the in-between weight that got me. No excuses now, my oldest is 20 & youngest is 11-can't blame it on the babies!!!!!!LOL. Tried almost every diet plan known to man but never found one that stuck. Always gave up after the first couple of months or just gained the weight back. I have researched the band for nearly 2 years so feel very confident in my decision to do it. I was approved in 2 days by UHC. I know that was fast. Very grateful for that. 2008 will be the year for all of us!!!!!

IT'S FINALLY REAL. ALSO, AFTER NEARLY TWO YEARS OF VARIOUS STRUGGLES WITH INSURANCE, DECIDING TO GO, DECIDING TO CANCEL, THIS IS REALLY IT. I COULDN'T BE MORE SURE OF A DECISION. MY HUSBAND IS SUPPORTIVE. I CAN'T DECIDE WHETHER TO TELL MY SONS. THEY'RE IN THEIR THIRTIES AND WOULD RATHER I JUST JOIN THE GYM AND LOSE WEIGHT THEIR WAY. WISH I COULD. I SURE DID TRY AND TRY AGAIN. I'M WEIGHING IN AT 240, DOWN FROM 248, AND NOW STARTING MY REAL PREOP DIET. MY DOCTOR JUST PUT ME ON SOUTHBEACH. I'M CURIOUS AS TO WHAT THE REST ARE DOING - ALL YOU OTHER FEBRUARY 2008 BANDSTERS. GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!!:clap2:

Thanks for sharing your preop diet. I'm going to have a struggle because I'll only be home for ten days prior to surgery after a one week all inclusive vaca.............oh boy..........anyway we've got a lot of support and hopefully we'll stay in close contact because our surgery dates are so close. Have you found a palatable Protein Shake? I'm really really struggling to find one I don't literally "gag" on, Good luck to all February bandsters!!!

Thanks for sharing your preop diet. I'm going to have a struggle because I'll only be home for ten days prior to surgery after a one week all inclusive vaca.............oh boy..........anyway we've got a lot of support and hopefully we'll stay in close contact because our surgery dates are so close. Have you found a palatable Protein shake? I'm really really struggling to find one I don't literally "gag" on, Good luck to all February bandsters!!!

I haven't tried many Protein shakes yet. I did get some samples of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury but I haven't tried them -- I got one of each flavor and an unflavored one. It seems like people either love Unjury or don't care for it at all. I was also told that for the pre-op diet I can use Slimfast, which I've had before and don't mind too much. But I worry that there isn't enough Protein in them to keep me from gettin hungry (which used to happen when I took them before).

I'd love to stay in touch since as you point out our surgery dates are so close.

My surgery is scheduled for 2nd Feb. I am funding this myself so I could have chosen an earlier date but I wanted to enjoy Christmas first. I did ask for a date in January, but my surgeons are not operating in January. This gives me 2 weeks after the New Year before I start the 2 week pre-op liquid diet.

I'm at 274lbs now, I'll be happy at 140-150lbs.

Good luck to everyone who starts their new life in February '08 :whoo:

Hi there, I came across this site and wanted to meet some new friends to start talking with! Im doing the waiting game with the insurance company, and giving time for them to reply,Im probably looking into Feb. for the surgery. Im soo excited for this its unreal. Ive been researching Lapband for two yrs now, and Im at this point, and its so hard to be patient! Ive got about 125lbs to lose and a much needed life to gain! Please email back!!!! HolliMarie

Hello and welcome everyone! Sorry I’ve been away for awhile, but I have been busy at home of late. That’s usually how I am – kind of hot and cold at different times. If you notice my absence, then I have something going on in the “real world” so to speak. Nothing major however. And still no date yet, but I did get a call from my insurance case manager and they have fully approved my surgery. Next stop: Date. For sure!

ShellieB73, well, I can’t even use having little ones as an excuse. At least not yet! :) But, when it gets to that point, I will at least have my little band ready to go for the after birth weight loss. As far as the dietician appointments go, enjoy them! Take as much info from them as possible. You may not feel it right now, but you will see in time that it does come in very handy as time goes on!

Everyone else, hang in there. You have come a long way, and this is a very personal decision, in all aspects. If you choose not to tell everyone that’s great. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t have done it. That way I don’t have to keep answering the question “any date yet?” Augh!

Stick to your pre-op diet all! GOOD LUCK!

I am having my band done on 05Feb08. Nervous about telling my family. My wife is excited because she is sure she will eat less as well. I am 153Kg (337lbs) and would like to get to under 100Kg (220lbs) I haven't been that size since I was about 17-18 years old. My pre-op diet is just a super low carb diet.

I am having my band done on 05Feb08. Nervous about telling my family. My wife is excited because she is sure she will eat less as well. I am 153Kg (337lbs) and would like to get to under 100Kg (220lbs) I haven't been that size since I was about 17-18 years old. My pre-op diet is just a super low carb diet.

Good luck Mickers -- I am scheduled for the 14th. I too am unsure about telling my family. I wouldn't say that my husband is "excited" but I do think he will have to eat less/eat differently because I'm the cook.

My pre-op diet is also low-carb. I'm supposed to start it 7-14 days before surgery but I may start it sooner because I think it's going to be very difficult. I'll just have to keep thinking of the fact that the surgery will be simpler with a smaller liver. Hopefully that'll get me though. Plus, I am a potato and bread junkie and I'll need to change that anyway, so why not start early?