Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any March 2021 Sleeve Patients?



Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Momof2boyzandadog said:

Hi, I am new to this site as well. My surgery gastric bypass is scheduled for March 16th. I am worried about absorption of my antidepressants. Anyone else in the same boat?

I decided on the sleeve for this reason. I couldn’t get any clear answers even after talking to the manufacturers about either surgery but I know that absorption with sleeve is better than bypass. The best advice anyone could give was to tweak the extended release to immediate release and to go off my Medication that requires a certain calorie count for absorption.


Also to just know that you may need to contact your doctor to adjust dosage and even change to a new medication entirely. I kept thinking LOW absorption doesn’t mean NO absorption so just increase the dosage and it will be fine but that’s not necessarily the case they say.

However, after 10 years of fighting to find the right medication I thought I was on the only ones that would work for me and psychiatrist changed my meds PRIOR to surgery to help ease my mind that there was another medication that works for me. You don’t have as much time to do that but if you are still seriously concerned you could push your surgery date out a bit??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LoveSimcha said:

This is so crazy because my drs restricted on the pre-op diet as well. They act like caffeine is the enemy lol Thanks for sharing the info.

Yeah. And patients adopt it to their toolbox of 'Things I Can't Have' which re-affirm they're "doing something". It's the same as the "omg I am eating 400 calories a day, is that too much" crutches.

Obligatory "you should do what your doctor says" line here, too. Maybe there's a personal reason for someone to not be able to drink coffee. Maybe there's other issues (acid, complications, etc.). But the dehydration part? No basis in science. And pre-op? That's just ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, OAGBPal said:

Yeah. And patients adopt it to their toolbox of 'Things I Can't Have' which re-affirm they're "doing something". It's the same as the "omg I am eating 400 calories a day, is that too much" crutches.

Obligatory "you should do what your doctor says" line here, too. Maybe there's a personal reason for someone to not be able to drink coffee. Maybe there's other issues (acid, complications, etc.). But the dehydration part? No basis in science. And pre-op? That's just ridiculous.

yeah - there is no other reason. Every patient in the practice get the "no caffeine" two weeks pre-op and 4 weeks post op. Frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, LoveSimcha said:

yeah - there is no other reason. Every patient in the practice get the "no caffeine" two weeks pre-op and 4 weeks post op. Frustrating.

Think of it as a positive. Caffeine can be hard on an inflamed and healing stomach. Best to get the withdrawals over during pre-op rather than immediate post-op while dealing with possible gas, pain, acid reflux and whatever else post op. Once healed and all going well it can be introduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 17th for me. I’ve already been weaning off of caffeine as I won’t be able to get it at the hospital post-op. I get a headache early afternoon so I’ve worked on reducing my intake. My pre-op diet starts 3/9. Have to take in only 1000 cals/day to reduce the size of my liver during the pre-op stage. Good luck everyone! It’s a gift to ourselves to live a longer and healthier life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck and great vibes to all this week Marchers! Wishing you a safe procedure and a speedy recovery! 🙏🏾

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Arimi said:

March 17th for me. I’ve already been weaning off of caffeine as I won’t be able to get it at the hospital post-op. I get a headache early afternoon so I’ve worked on reducing my intake. My pre-op diet starts 3/9. Have to take in only 1000 cals/day to reduce the size of my liver during the pre-op stage. Good luck everyone! It’s a gift to ourselves to live a longer and healthier life.

I’m March 17th as well! We’re up next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shanell said:

March 12th here!!!! Is it natural to feel scared and excited at the same time?

Sent from my SM-S515DL using BariatricPal mobile app

Absolutely. It’s 2:15 And I have to be at hospital at 5:30 this morning and I am wide awake with all the same feelings. I will Check in afterwards when feeling up to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. It’s 2:15 And I have to be at hospital at 5:30 this morning and I am wide awake with all the same feelings. I will Check in afterwards when feeling up to it.
You will be in my prayers [emoji120]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×