Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nov 2020 Bypass Peeps?

Good morning! I'm so excited. I've lost way more than I ever thought I would lose. Did anyone else have fears that this wouldn't work? I really thought I was going to go through all of this for no reason and still be fat, and keep gaining weight. It's working! It's hard, but it's working!!

CONGRATS TO YOU!!!! That’s so encouraging!!! May it continue as you go through all this process! I’ve lost 4 lbs at a time but that’s it for me. And I’m not complaining- I’m happy with that!
I just started regular food, so now I don’t know what I’m in for!!🙏

2 hours ago, FireEMT710 said:

Good morning! I'm so excited. I've lost way more than I ever thought I would lose. Did anyone else have fears that this wouldn't work? I really thought I was going to go through all of this for no reason and still be fat, and keep gaining weight. It's working! It's hard, but it's working!!

And you should be excited! That is a big drop!! So encouraging!

I didn't have fears it wouldn't work - too much evidence shows it wil. My fears are the longevity ie. after 3-5 years. But I can't worry about 3-5 years from now.

I had the mini - did anyone else have the mini bypass vs. sleeve or gastric bypass? My weight loss seems to be slower than others. I talked to my dietician today. I cant complain if it is a constant 3-4 pounds a week - I will take it!! But how can it differ so much from others?

13 minutes ago, TrueNorth1 said:

I didn't have fears it wouldn't work - too much evidence shows it wil. My fears are the longevity ie. after 3-5 years. But I can't worry about 3-5 years from now.

I had the mini - did anyone else have the mini bypass vs. sleeve or gastric bypass? My weight loss seems to be slower than others. I talked to my dietician today. I cant complain if it is a constant 3-4 pounds a week - I will take it!! But how can it differ so much from others?

I had regular rny. So no help here. I didn’t even know there was a mini!! However, even among people the same weight, height and surgery there are big differences in how and when they lose weight. I’ve studied nutrition for years and part of it could simply be the time people eat, how much sleep. Or the combinations of food and the quality of food will all affect weight loss and then there are the other factors, like I have a really bad back, multiple past surgeries and still need more in the future, I take pain meds all day everyday just to function, what does that do to my weight loss? We’re all so different, that our weight loss can’t be anything else but unique to us😀! I think 3-4 lbs is tremendous success!! Every 5 lbs lost actually changes the chemistry of the brain! Our bodies are so complex it’s exciting to me that this tool has such across the board success if you are consistent and persistent! Which I know you are TrueNorth!! We got this. I hope this didn’t come across as a know-it-all or lecture. I meant it as a it’s okay, there’s a lot going on under the hood that’s way beyond me and I’m excited for every few ounces I see slipping away.
last but not least I measured myself the night before surgery and plan on remeasuring every month. I’ve heard a lot of long time successful people that’s helped them keep going when the scale stalls they still see the inches moving!

3 hours ago, FireEMT710 said:

Congratulations! Keep on going :)

28 minutes ago, TrueNorth1 said:

I share your fears about the longevity, particularly as I had the band and it worked and then I allowed myself to get around it and 7 years later and I'm right back at the start. I just need to have a word with myself-I'm not doing this again so I need to develop better habits right from the start! I think this site will help massively with that.

I also had the mini and have lost 34 pounds since I started the pre-op diet (24 since surgery) but I started at 180 pounds heavier than you so I imagine it's relative to that too. It slows down the lighter you are (or so I'm told-I've never been the weight you are now!)

3 minutes ago, Lanie Hardy said:

I had regular rny. So no help here. I didn’t even know there was a mini!! However, even among people the same weight, height and surgery there are big differences in how and when they lose weight. I’ve studied nutrition for years and part of it could simply be the time people eat, how much sleep. Or the combinations of food and the quality of food will all affect weight loss and then there are the other factors, like I have a really bad back, multiple past surgeries and still need more in the future, I take pain meds all day everyday just to function, what does that do to my weight loss? We’re all so different, that our weight loss can’t be anything else but unique to us😀! I think 3-4 lbs is tremendous success!! Every 5 lbs lost actually changes the chemistry of the brain! Our bodies are so complex it’s exciting to me that this tool has such across the board success if you are consistent and persistent! Which I know you are TrueNorth!! We got this. I hope this didn’t come across as a know-it-all or lecture. I meant it as a it’s okay, there’s a lot going on under the hood that’s way beyond me and I’m excited for every few ounces I see slipping away.
last but not least I measured myself the night before surgery and plan on remeasuring every month. I’ve heard a lot of long time successful people that’s helped them keep going when the scale stalls they still see the inches moving!

All the feedback I can get, I will take! As someone mentioned the other day, I am so grateful for this group.

And yes, I will not get discouraged. I am happy, truly. I feel great. Would I love to be down 22-30 pounds? Hell ya! And I will...just slower. And yes, now that I am getting into solid foods (on Friday) I will be able to try different foods and see if that will push it along. As long as the scale is going down, I am good. I spent the last year where I felt I tried hard and other times I didn't care...just to be at the same place after a year. So, this time next year....put it in our calendars...we will be in a much better place!

1 minute ago, TrueNorth1 said:

All the feedback I can get, I will take! As someone mentioned the other day, I am so grateful for this group.

And yes, I will not get discouraged. I am happy, truly. I feel great. Would I love to be down 22-30 pounds? Hell ya! And I will...just slower. And yes, now that I am getting into solid foods (on Friday) I will be able to try different foods and see if that will push it along. As long as the scale is going down, I am good. I spent the last year where I felt I tried hard and other times I didn't care...just to be at the same place after a year. So, this time next year....put it in our calendars...we will be in a much better place!

Preach!! Agreed. That is exactly how my last year went too. I think that’s what’s so great about this forum we can help each other from the not caring part hopefully. Thanks for taking my words in the way intended!! I’m cheering for you 2000%!!

3 minutes ago, shellzuk said:

I share your fears about the longevity, particularly as I had the band and it worked and then I allowed myself to get around it and 7 years later and I'm right back at the start. I just need to have a word with myself-I'm not doing this again so I need to develop better habits right from the start! I think this site will help massively with that.

I also had the mini and have lost 34 pounds since I started the pre-op diet (24 since surgery) but I started at 180 pounds heavier than you so I imagine it's relative to that too. It slows down the lighter you are (or so I'm told-I've never been the weight you are now!)

Yep, I too had the band and figured out how to work around it but also lived with throwing up and heartburn. the years of throwing up caused major scar tissue. So I look at this as my second chance. No eating fast. No over eating. And if I catch myself getting into a bad place, stop it immediately!

I jealous that you get to move onto solid food this week though! I'm supposed to wait until week 6-8!

2 minutes ago, shellzuk said:

I jealous that you get to move onto solid food this week though! I'm supposed to wait until week 6-8!

Isn't it interesting how different programs can be? Mine was a 4 week process of liquid, pureed, soft, then solid.

I'm a little scared of solid. But curious. So I will start small and see how it works! To be honest, its cold here so I could live off of Soup right now! But I think I need more substance. Soup doesn't "sit"....just slides right through. Trying to think what I should try first!

What are you all thinking your first "solid" will be??

2 minutes ago, TrueNorth1 said:

Isn't it interesting how different programs can be? Mine was a 4 week process of liquid, pureed, soft, then solid.

I'm a little scared of solid. But curious. So I will start small and see how it works! To be honest, its cold here so I could live off of Soup right now! But I think I need more substance. Soup doesn't "sit"....just slides right through. Trying to think what I should try first!

I'm really craving salad at the moment! I think possibly chicken though as that tends to be my go to meat. What about you?

1 minute ago, shellzuk said:

I'm really craving salad at the moment! I think possibly chicken though as that tends to be my go to meat. What about you?

I would LOVE a greek salad with feta! But I am afraid to do lettuce just yet. Salad is hard to put tiny mouthfuls. I am craving vegetables. I will try roasted cauliflower. I have had a lot of chicken and tuna through the soft stage (shredded chicken)

Maybe meatballs in marina sauce? Staying away from bread, Pasta and rice. Apparently people have problems with those.

5 minutes ago, TrueNorth1 said:

Post-op Mine is 2 days clear liquid, 2 weeks puréed and now solid “soft” for 4 weeks. The 1st thing I made was a low-fat turkey stroganoff that my family could eat too. It was amazing to bite food!! I of coarse didn’t eat the Pasta, just the ground 99% fat free turkey and a little of the sauce with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It totally hit the spot for me. Since I’ve made homemade marinara with ground turkey, chicken salad, and tuna salad. I think I’m cooking orange salmon (squeeze fresh orange over the salmon and bake) today.

1 hour ago, Lanie Hardy said:

Post-op Mine is 2 days clear liquid, 2 weeks puréed and now solid “soft” for 4 weeks. The 1st thing I made was a low-fat turkey stroganoff that my family could eat too. It was amazing to bite food!! I of coarse didn’t eat the Pasta, just the ground 99% fat free turkey and a little of the sauce with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It totally hit the spot for me. Since I’ve made homemade marinara with ground turkey, chicken salad, and tuna salad. I think I’m cooking orange salmon (squeeze fresh orange over the salmon and bake) today.

I love stroganoff!! What is your recipe? I could go for that for sure!!