Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just the thought of it makes me barf

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

My Doc was very firm, which many took to be lack of understanding. He was not interested in excuses, he simply required compliance. Even the slightest deviation from the rules got a firm lecture about following the rules.

Pre-op, we found reasons why our current diet wasn't working, or why we just had to go off plan. We don't want to repeat this post-op.

Even if you can't stomach your program, you MUST do it. Figure it out, it's up to you. You've had your plumbing rearranged so even good excuses won't help. You have to make your program work. You really have no choice.

At one week post-op, you are still dealing/suffering with the effects of surgery. Things are swollen and painful, which tends to gum up the works. So be patient with yourself. You need to figure out how to do your Protein Drinks (if that is your Doc's program). Week one, it's not the end of the world if you don't eat or drink every bit of whatever is on your program, just do your best. You may not be able to drink a whole or even half a Protein Drink at one time and even then you may have to take small sips. Try thinning or thickening the Protein drink. What physically works does not always make sense. Make sure it is mixed well, as any lump could get stuck. Small sips. Take your time. You can do this.

You need to do what your Doc says. Compliance is critical to long term success. You didn't get to needing surgery by doing things the right way. Not being able to eat or drink easily is your gateway to learning success. Small sips (whatever your doc says), go slow. When you get to food, small bites, chew well, then chew some more.

Your first 6 months are when you learn everything, both good and bad. No excuses. It's up to you to make it work.

Exciting times ahead. Enjoy them as best you can.

Tek

Spoken straight and is pretty much the right thing to do. As someone who struggled with this Exact problem i agree that following the program is what resolved the issue. Have the will to get the nasty shake down

3 hours ago, mrshenry said:

Hi All. I'm new to the group as of today! I am a week postt op and I can't get down Protein shakes! They make me gag to even smell them. I literally gag. I have tried several flavors and varieties in different forms...even making my own. Nothing works.default_sad.png&key=eede538cefacefd5b09bc3209f264a659ab0a07f9d0c9c28b43ddf136bc5059a For my pre-op doctor's visit , my doctor is going to flip his lid of I tell him I can't do the Protein shakes....HELP!!!!!!
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Adding on to the previous post I made about Protein Water options possibly being something to look at (though they are generally only 20g of protein where most shakes are 30g, so there's a deficit there that you'd need to be able to make up), you specifically said that it's the smell of the shakes that you can't handle. As others have suggested, have you tried using a flavorless Protein Powder yet? It doesn't carry nearly the same odor that flavored powders have and are flavorless, so you can mix it into something to get around the issues that the flavored shakes are giving you. I'd recommend Fairlife milk as a mixer as it has a higher protein content (stick to 2% for fat and calorie sake) so you would be able to use slightly less powder and still hit 30g of protein per drink.

Of course, if the texture is something you're having issues with, then a clear Protein Drink (protein water or the previously recommended Syntrax Nectar powders) would be the way to go, keeping in mind that you'll need to drink more of them during the day to meet your program's protein goals, which is the priority.

Try Premier shakes. They actually taste good .No heavy taste.

Tell your stomach that it is not the boss of you and that you are not in control.

My thoughts about food. I eat what is good for me to live a healthy life. The Protein drink is a life saver.

Your hair, skin and nails are primarily protein. If you lose too much protein the results will show up in your hair and nail and your skin. Stay beautiful and follow the rules. Drink that shake.

Hi All. I'm new to the group as of today! I am a week postt op and I can't get down Protein shakes! They make me gag to even smell them. I literally gag. I have tried several flavors and varieties in different forms...even making my own. Nothing works.default_sad.png&key=eede538cefacefd5b09bc3209f264a659ab0a07f9d0c9c28b43ddf136bc5059a For my pre-op doctor's visit , my doctor is going to flip his lid of I tell him I can't do the Protein shakes....HELP!!!!!!
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello
I know that Protein Shakes is a challenge to like but Protein is required. Some other options that have a soft texture are chabani non fat at 90 calories greek yogurt and cottage cheese

I really like protein premier shake. It is 160 cal 30 gms of protein.
My fav flavor is vanilla and caramel

Hope my recommendations help.
Missy

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Isopure sounds awesome! I just looked it up on Amazon. What flavors are your favorites?

I am picky with EVERYTHING!!! I like the fair life shakes. The chocolate tastes like chocolate milk and there is no “protein” taste to it. The premier, you can taste the Protein but it’s not that bad. I tried Isopure unflavored. I can’t do it. Too much of a whey taste for me.

Protein2O waters are good! The fruit punch sort of tastes like Crystal light. If you’re protein sensitive, you will still be able to tell it’s there but it’s not bad.

I had VSG on 8/31/2020. I am in soft foods phase but supplementing with protein. I don’t meet all of my protein every day but I am trying my best.

The hardest thing is getting it in when you’re truly not hungry!!!

Good luck and best wishes to you!!!

I didn't mind the Premier shakes before surgery, but after, I couldn't stomach them. They tasted disgusting. I talked to the dietitian and he suggested collagen peptides and you can mix them in just about anything. I bought the brand Vital Proteins. That helped get me through. I also mixed the Protein Shakes with Decaf coffee, which made them taste a lot less sweet and disgusting. It gets easier!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

@Pandemonium, you said exactly what I was thinking! Fairlife milk is great for diluting Protein Shakes so they aren't too sweet also. Fairlife also makes a couple of different Protein shakes that are delicious. I like the "Fairlife Nutrition Plan," chocolate or vanilla, available at Sam's Club or BJs. They also make Fairlife "Core Power" shakes in more flavors, available at Walmart and some convience stores. I find the core power to be too sweet and I'm an ex sugar addict!

Try Unjury.com chicken Soup or chili flavors. The thick texture and sweetness bothered me after surgery, but I could handle chicken soup.

Try Fairlife milk it has higher Protein than regular milk. Have you tried mixing milk with the Protein Shakes? I had to put the shakes over ice ot Water them down a little and could only drink them ice cold. By thinning it out with ice or regular milk it lost the thick, slimy after texture. You can also try protein waters. i think you can find them at Target and Walmart. They had a little bit of a chalky after taste but again if I poured it over ice it thinned it out enough that it was fine.

I also got the sample packet form Unjury online and it has Soups that were ok.

Another thing I had to do mentally was pour the shake in a shot glass. I played a 1-2 minute game on my phone and then made myself drink half of the 2 oz shot glass, played another game to distract myself and took another sip. I repeated this every half hour. It is much easier mentally to think you just have to take 4 sips and your are done, then repeat it again 30-60 minutes later. Looking at a full glass is overwhelming sometimes.

Hang in there. I promise it gets sooo much easier!!

I liked the thick shakes pre-surgery, but I couldn’t handle anything thick post-surgery, so my nutritionist suggested Unjury and the high Protein Slim Fast shakes thinned out with some Fair Life milk. Otherwise, I ended up getting the BariatricPal broths (chicken and beef) and those have been a great substitute for the sweet shakes so far.

Me too. I started using the Isopure Fruit Drinks instead. When iced I handle them better. They’re available at GNC. 90 cals a scoop and 20g of Protein.

This milk shake aversion started for me a couple weeks ago. Just can’t do it!!