Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just the thought of it makes me barf

On 09/22/2020 at 11:37, mrshenry said:

Hi All. I'm new to the group as of today! I am a week postt op and I can't get down Protein shakes! They make me gag to even smell them. I literally gag. I have tried several flavors and varieties in different forms...even making my own. Nothing works.default_sad.png&key=eede538cefacefd5b09bc3209f264a659ab0a07f9d0c9c28b43ddf136bc5059a For my pre-op doctor's visit , my doctor is going to flip his lid of I tell him I can't do the Protein shakes....HELP!!!!!!
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I found this brand recently after watching a podcast I have to tell you they have very strong flavors and they taste pretty good my favorite is French toast. They also have Protein butters just a thought . Check out Bowmar Nutrition these are a few of the ones I tried. Good luck!

image-0.0050067901611328125.jpg

On 9/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, Pandemonium said:

Adding on to the previous post I made about Protein Water options possibly being something to look at (though they are generally only 20g of Protein where most shakes are 30g, so there's a deficit there that you'd need to be able to make up), you specifically said that it's the smell of the shakes that you can't handle. As others have suggested, have you tried using a flavorless Protein Powder yet? It doesn't carry nearly the same odor that flavored powders have and are flavorless, so you can mix it into something to get around the issues that the flavored shakes are giving you. I'd recommend Fairlife milk as a mixer as it has a higher protein content (stick to 2% for fat and calorie sake) so you would be able to use slightly less powder and still hit 30g of protein per drink.

Of course, if the texture is something you're having issues with, then a clear Protein Drink (protein Water or the previously recommended Syntrax Nectar powders) would be the way to go, keeping in mind that you'll need to drink more of them during the day to meet your program's protein goals, which is the priority.

You've lost almost 122 lbs in a little over 2 months?! Is that a normal pace? If so, I am WAY behind,

5 hours ago, Keatsy said:

You've lost almost 122 lbs in a little over 2 months?! Is that a normal pace? If so, I am WAY behind,

Not necessarily the person may be 600 lb so losing bigger. 5-15 lb a week is average statistically (univ of mich study) for the first few months. Hope that helps!

6 hours ago, Keatsy said:

No, I've lost 43.4lbs in the past 2.5 months (post-op). The other 78.3lbs were lost in the 5 months pre-surgery when I first joined my bariatric program. That total is for the entire journey. Your pace is pretty much perfect!

I found this one worked better for me.... zero flavor or smell. you can mix it in most everything. 15g in 1oz. I mixed in my Water, Jello, pudding, Soup, yogurt, .... anything.

https://shop.medtrition.com/ProSource_NoCarb_Neutral_25_Pouches?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI26SgneiB7AIVkh6tBh2UCwi2EAQYASABEgJ1SfD_BwE

image.thumb.png.1d3be9e0df0faddeae8163ed9c2c4825.png

5 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

I found this one worked better for me.... zero flavor or smell. you can mix it in most everything. 15g in 1oz. I mixed in my Water, Jello, pudding, Soup, yogurt, .... anything.

https://shop.medtrition.com/ProSource_NoCarb_Neutral_25_Pouches?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI26SgneiB7AIVkh6tBh2UCwi2EAQYASABEgJ1SfD_BwE

image.thumb.png.1d3be9e0df0faddeae8163ed9c2c4825.png

15g in one ounce wow

I could never drink any of the Protein Drinks period. I tried them all pre op but knew that my gut would not be happy. I have never been able to drink /eat all the additives. Deathly ill from it all. I made very very strong chicken Soup with lots of vegetables in it and strained for the first few weeks of liquids. Then added in blender to smooth cooked chicken, and veggies. Kefir was also a go to. Now you could get Bone Broth. I did my own as I find prepared Soups to be too full of sodium for me.

i know what you mean by feeling sick i had my gastric sleeve on July 6th and have had one issues after another nowi am on a feeding tube food odes not appeal to me what's so ever and my taste buds are messed up anyone having this issue

13 minutes ago, calliekaine said:

i know what you mean by feeling sick i had my gastric sleeve on July 6th and have had one issues after another nowi am on a feeding tube food odes not appeal to me what's so ever and my taste buds are messed up anyone having this issue

Oh NO ! on a feeding tube ? What the heck happened ? I am sending you lots of healing karma and wishes to get well, and heal quickly !!!!

well had a # of complacations right after my surgery i developed a blood clot and a hernia and have been in and out of the hospital science July 6th and couldn't keep anything down so he decided to insert a feeding tube

I am so sorry this happened toy calliekaine. Take care and come here for support.

2 hours ago, calliekaine said:

well had a # of complacations right after my surgery i developed a blood clot and a hernia and have been in and out of the hospital science July 6th and couldn't keep anything down so he decided to insert a feeding tube

Hey im really sorry to here about that what do they plan to do to fix it? Is your weight loss journey still on

On 9/22/2020 at 11:37 AM, mrshenry said:

Hi All. I'm new to the group as of today! I am a week postt op and I can't get down Protein shakes! They make me gag to even smell them. I literally gag. I have tried several flavors and varieties in different forms...even making my own. Nothing works.default_sad.png&key=eede538cefacefd5b09bc3209f264a659ab0a07f9d0c9c28b43ddf136bc5059a For my pre-op doctor's visit , my doctor is going to flip his lid of I tell him I can't do the Protein shakes....HELP!!!!!!
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

@mrshenry you’ve gotten so many answers so I can’t add much. I’m over a year out of surgery now but had a hard time with Protein Shakes. For multiple reasons. Even though my sense of smell was off as was my taste (medical reasons prior to surgery) everything came across too strong and nauseating. Everything suggested either had iodine add3d so I couldn’t have it or had a horrid smell. Especially Isopure. The clear was heinous.

I ended up turning to three things the third I’d wished I had found earlier post op.

my first was PEScience Select Protein powder that I would mix with plain unsweetened Ripple milk put in the fridge 30 minutes then mix again. I’d use one scoop powder 4 ounces milk (plant based I couldn’t tolerate dairy) and added Water as needed (needed it thicker due to dysphasia) for some reason it was one of the few I could tolerate. Plus it’s just more affordable to mix your own shakes.

http://rwrd.io/c6uus2e

There are premix but more expensive. Also getting more than 30 grams protein per meal has no benefits.

it helps to calculate daily protein based on body weight. 0.36 grams protein per 1lb body weight is a starting point only add higher with exercise.

the second thing that helped was BariatricPal protein Soup mixes. They have a sampler pack of broth flavors so then you can get an idea what flavor you like best.

what i wish I’d found immediately post op was BariatricPal pink lemonade Protein Shots 15 grams protein in a little shot. I had a hard time getting fluids that would have helped a lot.

Some premix in the grocery, costs a bit more but shamrock shakes are pretty good. I wouldn’t have known they existed until I found them in the cold dairy section. strawberry is good. The fairlife makes core power shakes also. They are like drinking milk. I’d also buy in a pinch some Boost Max protein shakes.

oh I can’t forget the best flavor of premix but kind of high calorie for me was salted caramel in the brand of Labrada Lean Body but one 12 ounce I think is 40 grams protein. Quest nutrition also makes salted caramel shakes, I used them as creamer in my tea I get them cheapest in Target.

That’s also a good way to boost protein. Use protein you like in Decaf tea. I personally like either vanilla rooibos (celestial seasonings) decaf earl grey (Bigelow) though I do love vanilla chai ... also bigelow.