Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My favorite Chinese restaurant is closing forever and I want to get something before they do since they won't re-open somewhere else. I'm 3 months out and was going to wait awhile to have Chinese food, but can't. What do people suggest I order? Just get what I like and eat a small amount or is there a low cal dish? Is an egg roll totally a no-no?

Vegetables and meat....... right isn't that still the plan? It would be hard for me to give up the carbs like fried rice, wontons or noodles. That's why I haven't been to chinese food and yes a egg roll would be a no no. I think I would get a broccoli beef dish or something along those lines . Also watch the sauces with lots of sugar too. Enjoy your last go around.

My advice is to avoid really carb-y foods like rice or noodles or egg rolls and avoid really greasy foods. Also, watch the sauces because some have a high sugar content. My family is really big into Chinese food and have had it several times since my surgery, but I have avoided it every time because I know how high the sugar and carb content is in the dishes I used to love. I realize how sad it must be to watch your favorite Chinese restaurant close, but don't compromise your diet. Find a healthier option on their menu if you can.

Like Matt said, chicken, beef, or shrimp with vegetables is good, or egg foo young sauteed instead of deep fried and with very little sauce. I eat dim sum quite a lot, too, the steamed options. I can manage about 4 and I'm done.

order something with non-fried meat and vegetables, only eat as much of it as you're supposed to be eating at this point, and skip the rice.

I’ve had Chinese twice: once at about 4 months & then again in maintenance. I just picked out pieces of braised meat (chicken & beef) & vegetables but avoided the sauces as much as possible (used a fork to strain the meat & veg when serving) & no rice or noodles. I did throw up the first time I ate it but you can only try.

13 hours ago, It's time. said:

My favorite Chinese restaurant is closing forever and I want to get something before they do since they won't re-open somewhere else. I'm 3 months out and was going to wait awhile to have Chinese food, but can't. What do people suggest I order? Just get what I like and eat a small amount or is there a low cal dish? Is an egg roll totally a no-no?

Things that may be safe, but ask your team first:

Beef & Broccoli (lightly sauced)

Wonton Soup (no wontons)

Pepper chicken & vegetables

Steamed mixed vegetables

General Tso Tofu (lightly sauced)

Teriyaki Chicken (lightly sauced)

Etc Etc,

(No noodles, rice, wontons, overly battered then fried Protein, egg rolls, fries or fortune cookies)

Good Luck!

Shrimp and broccoli.

I feel your pain. I hope my chinese place doesn't close until I'm dead.

She probably isn't wanting the healthy stuff... she can make that at home. I think that sort of defeats the purpose of going one last time to her favorite restaurant that is closing. I say, go for it. It's not like she can eat that much in her small pouch. I would still steer clear of fried foods, if possible. And get back on track immediately after.

I am 3 months out and VERY strict on what I eat -- have not had 1 cheat day since surgery, but if my favorite restaurant was closing, then I would allow myself a cheat day.

Edited by Lanie992