Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

have questions

I have been thinking about getting banded and reading alot of what you guys write for the last month or so. this is the best web site i have found. but i have some questions that u could probably answer. my first one is why do some people not have ports anymore? if u loose your port i assume u cannot get fills. and also what about drinking? i really enjoy a few cocktails on the weekend. i am only 24 and like to go out with my friends on the weekends. it would be a real shame if i couldn't drink anymore. also can u feel the port or anything else inside you from the outside of your body? lots more questions but i have to get my daughter in the bath. love to hear from u

Have you researched the old threads? There is so much information to learn before you make the decision to be banded. How much weight would you like to lose? Where are you wanting to be banded? Carbonated drinks are very uncomfortable - the fizzys. But I haven't had any problem w/margaritas or wine. They are "empty calories". If I purposely rub my tummy, I can feel my port (like a round, flat button), but my husband has never noticed it. It's under the skin, you can't see the impression of it. You will need to decide (before banding) if you're willing to live a healthier life style...healthier food choices, regular exercise, drink tons of Water (but not w/meals or 1 hour afterwards). The band is a very helpful tool, but it's up to each bandster to make good choices for it to work at it's full potential. The individuals who've lost their ports have been from complications. You can read their numerous, old posts for full details. Ideally, the band is meant to last a lifetime. Good luck on your search for better health!

Guest glittergrl

Im sorry I can't answer why some people do not have ports, , but I can say that I do feel my port. As for the cocktails I used to drink Red Bull and Vodka, but since your not able to drink liquids with gas I switched to cranberry and vodka. Just watch those calories!

I have a vodka and oj every great once and a while, hate to waste the calories. I'm saving them up for summer so I can enjoy outside in the hot sun fishing. Right now I figure I got about 16 drinks coming so far, that's 2 a week, LOL.

You can still drink alcohol but just know this you will most likely lose at a slower pace if you drink. Alcohol is just wasted liquid calories and liquid calories with the band are a NO NO , it is your choice on how you want to lose your weight. Me personally, losing weight is a hell of alot more important then any alcoholic drink..I can have fun with or with out it when Iam out with my friends. I have drank 2 times since being banded , first was in October and had maybe 4 cocktails over the course of a weekend in Vegas when I met all of the women from this site and then in December when I took all of my employees out for their Christams party, one glass of wine .Yes I feel my port from the outside..

Best of luck to you on your decision :D

Hi Bandit,

What everyone says is right on. People who lose their ports are the exception: the band and port are both part of a system designed to stay in place permanently. Infections and other complications can happen but they are rare. The vast majority of bandsters keep their ports and bands in place long-term.

Regarding alcohol: You say it would be a shame if you couldn't drink anymore. Well, that's your decision. If you're in a place where you are seriously considering weight-loss surgery, then you must be coming to terms that MANY behaviors you now have are not working for you. Alcohol may be one of them. There are lots of reasons not to drink, banded or not, if you're trying to lose weight. But no, banding will not change your basic anatomy, and you will still be able to metabolize alcohol after banding the same way you do now.

I've had a couple of margarita's and a couple glasses of wine since I was banded in November. If you enjoy a cocktail, there is nothing wrong with having one. Just remember the calories and practice moderation. A drink every now and then won't stop your weightloss.

thank u all so much for your responses. i guess i made myself sound like a lush with the whole alchohole thing. lol. i know after banding i will not be able to have my 5:00 cocktail everyday after work, its just that going out with my friends on saturdays and having drinks is something i look forward to all week(I have a 2 year old daughter; need i say more) i tend to stick with diet coke and bacardi. so from what i am gathering banding will not affect my tolorance or ability to drink?

i am 4'10'' and 160 pounds. i have been researching the band since i went in to see my doctor asking about gastric bypass. he told me there was no way that i would qualify for such a drastic proceedure but he had heard some things about banding. since researching on the internet i have talked to a few doctors, some in the US and some in mexico. how is the banding in mexico. i have only heard good things, but i dont know if i can trust the web sights that are made by those doctors themselves.

Research our site, pick your Mexican surgeon carefully after you've read lots and lots of posts. Good Luck

Bandit: Alcohol consumption is still OK while banded but there is the empty calories to consider. The other thing about drinking while banded is it takes less to get you tipsy. The more you drink the less you have sense about you and you could do harm to yourself and the band. THis means that you would not listen to the warning signs of being full and you could overeat. Just use common sense when drinking and have a limit set. When I feel my nose go tingly I stop drinking. That is usually after two drinks now. So I keep my social drinking at a two drink max. Just my guidelines so you do what works for you. I also try to not eat or snack when I am drinking.

Doctor choices are a HUGE thing with me now. I won't tell you to not go to Mexico or even outside of the US for your surgery. I will tell you if you chose to do that to make doubly sure you have aftercare set up close to home before you have the surgery. THis is imperative for good weight loss results. You should be followed by someone that is caring and supportive and interested in the whole package not just putting the band in and then telling you to fly be free. Just my two cents here.