Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts on having "the works"? (multiple procedures during one surgery)



Recommended Posts

I'm on team, "the works". I had a lower body lift and breast augmentation done at the same time. My main concern would be getting optimized results with so many procedures at one time. I know some surgeons won't perform certain combos because the skin tension is in different directions. So they either can't get the desired tautness, and/or have risk for wound openings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sillykitty your thought process is similar to my own. I've been corresponding with the surgeon I'll go with if I go down the road of a MASSIVE surgery and he's very honest that the absolute best results would be having a surgery for each procedure. If I got "the works" he doubts I'd even recognize where the compromises were, but he said he'd know and they'd be noticeable to HIM. So I think there IS a difference, but don't think it's a radical difference. If I were to spread things out then I think I'd probably wind up doing three surgeries over the course of a year and, in theory, that would provide the best results, but that is SO MUCH time when I can't exercise and I worry about losing progress that I've made and I worry about regain with that much down time. Let's be honest, I'd also like to get this behind me so I can get on with my life. That would probably wind up being 18 months of time that I spend doing some combination of preparing for surgery and recovering from surgery.

I'm not convinced that the risks involved in the massive surgery are much, if any greater than spreading things out once you do the math of comparing a lesser risk three times versus a greater risk one time. I crunched some numbers based on some figures I was given by a couple of surgeons and it looked like a wash to me (I have to take it on faith the numbers I was given are accurate).

I'm really torn, but I'm certainly leaning toward the massive surgery. The whole thing is a bit terrifying and I'll eventually have to make a decision and take a leap of faith. On the positive side, I think the surgeons I'm looking at are pretty terrific based on everything I've read. I'm hoping if I stick with one of them that there isn't a "wrong" decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2020 at 5:58 AM, FatboySkin said:

@sillykitty your thought process is similar to my own. I've been corresponding with the surgeon I'll go with if I go down the road of a MASSIVE surgery and he's very honest that the absolute best results would be having a surgery for each procedure. If I got "the works" he doubts I'd even recognize where the compromises were, but he said he'd know and they'd be noticeable to HIM. So I think there IS a difference, but don't think it's a radical difference. If I were to spread things out then I think I'd probably wind up doing three surgeries over the course of a year and, in theory, that would provide the best results, but that is SO MUCH time when I can't exercise and I worry about losing progress that I've made and I worry about regain with that much down time. Let's be honest, I'd also like to get this behind me so I can get on with my life. That would probably wind up being 18 months of time that I spend doing some combination of preparing for surgery and recovering from surgery.

I'm not convinced that the risks involved in the massive surgery are much, if any greater than spreading things out once you do the math of comparing a lesser risk three times versus a greater risk one time. I crunched some numbers based on some figures I was given by a couple of surgeons and it looked like a wash to me (I have to take it on faith the numbers I was given are accurate).

I'm really torn, but I'm certainly leaning toward the massive surgery. The whole thing is a bit terrifying and I'll eventually have to make a decision and take a leap of faith. On the positive side, I think the surgeons I'm looking at are pretty terrific based on everything I've read. I'm hoping if I stick with one of them that there isn't a "wrong" decision.

I think you're looking at it from the right perspective. You realize that everything is a trade off and have realistic expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just throwing this out there but if you decide to break the surgeries up have you asked if you can do one surgery with 2 procedures and 2-3 weeks later when you are able to physically over the big hurdle then do the next set of procedures? That way instead of surgeries months apart and going through the recovery twice you just have one extended recovery?

Most procedures after the first week you can physically do most things like get yourself dressed, basic meals etc but still restricted regarding lifting heavy things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2020 at 10:39 AM, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Just throwing this out there but if you decide to break the surgeries up have you asked if you can do one surgery with 2 procedures and 2-3 weeks later when you are able to physically over the big hurdle then do the next set of procedures? That way instead of surgeries months apart and going through the recovery twice you just have one extended recovery?

Most procedures after the first week you can physically do most things like get yourself dressed, basic meals etc but still restricted regarding lifting heavy things.

That's an interesting idea, but the surgeon I'm thinking about, told me that if I were to split things up he'd wait four months between surgeries. I do know if you do any facial work he'll do that as a separate surgery a few day after your body surgery. Another surgeon I'm looking at requires six months between procedures. I haven't done a consult yet, but with her I'd expect three surgeries. If I had the subsequent surgeries at exactly six month intervals, it'd probably be 15 months before I'm completely done and healed after the first surgery. I haven't made any decisions yet, but it's really hard to justify stretching things out that long unless I'm convinced the results or safety is a dramatic enough difference to justify it. My current impression is that it would be SLIGHTLY safer and the results would be SLIGHTLY better to spread it out, but I **think** both are small differences. Everyone I'm looking at has a great reputation and legions of adoring patients, so I'm fairly optimistic that things will work out pretty well no matter what I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m having a Tummy Tuck w/muscle repair, breast lift & augmentation and arm lift in one surgery with Dr. Alex Earle in Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had arms and chest lift done 2 years ago. It was a 4 hour surgery and it was no worse of a recovery than my surgery that I had that was one area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On 1/1/2021 at 9:21 PM, aiisen said:

Would you mind sharing the Dr that was willing to multiple surgeries at once?

The surgeon I'm looking at is Dr. Francisco Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico. He has a Facebook page you can join to read posts from other patients and post questions. There's also a massive archive of posts on ObesityHelp from his patients. From everything I've read he has a stellar reputation, but I have no personal experience with him OTHER than email correspondences. My impression from those exchanges are that he's incredibly responsive and very straight forward. He seems to be known for under promising and overdelivering on results, which I really respect.

I'm strongly leaning toward scheduling surgery with him, but I'm not having surgery until I'm vaccinated for COVID, so I'll use that time to keep researching...

Edited by FatboySkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had “the works” done in one 12.5 hour surgery.
360 degree/lower body lift
Long thigh lift
Arm lift
breast lift and augmentation
Liposuction
January 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NicoleInVancouver said:

Sounds like you’re considering MY surgeon. Monterrey, Mexico?

Sounds like it. Dr. Sauceda is my current front runner. I'm still considering other surgeons, but I keep coming back to Dr. Sauceda for a few reasons. Were you happy with your results and your experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FatboySkin said:

Sounds like it. Dr. Sauceda is my current front runner. I'm still considering other surgeons, but I keep coming back to Dr. Sauceda for a few reasons. Were you happy with your results and your experience?

Yes, Dr. Francisco Sauceda! I had my surgery January 2019 and I am very happy with my results and he was fantastic, along with his nurse, Paty. She's an absolute gem! If you'd like to get more details and some feedback and some pictures, feel free to private message me. There's one very major thing that I would do differently, but I don't want to put that out here. Good luck with your decision!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×