Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I’m new here and I’m very excited to be part of the BariatricPal community.

I finally did my Gastric Sleeve procedure on the 5th of August 2020 (yay!), so I’m at 12 days post-op. My weight loss has been great, i started at 85.5 kgs (188 lbs) and I’m currently at 77.9 kgs (171 lbs).

I’ve lost about 7.5 kgs (16.5 lbs) in about the first 9 days. However my weight has been stuck on the same number for a few days now and I was scared I might have done something wrong. How can I make it change again?it’s been affecting my attitude towards my weight loss. As per my prescribed diet, I am still on soft food and liquids.

I know I’m still very early in my journey and there will definitely be more weight loss to come especially during the first 6 months; but I was wondering if anybody else might have experienced this and what they did to change that?

Thank you sooo much for the support ❤️

With love,
Oshah

You only have to read about half the posts here to realise that is very common to stall in weight loss in the early weeks.

Typically people have lost weight immediately prior to the surgery, they sometimes lose a fair bit of weight within a couple of weeks of surgery, there is inflammation, Fluid retention, progression through the food stages....all this and possibly more plays a part in stalls early on.

Given your lowish weight on surgery date, you've actually lost a fair bit of weight in the short time since surgery.

Assuming you are following all your post op guidelines you will be fine, weight loss will pick up again when your body has adjusted a little bit.

Note that going forward, as you commenced from a fairly low weight base, your weight loss is likely to be slow and lower than those who started with more weight.

17 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

You only have to ready about half the posts here to realise that is very common to stall in weight loss in the early weeks.

Typically people have lost weight immediately prior to the surgery, they sometimes lose a fair bit of weight within a couple of weeks of surgery, there is inflammation, Fluid retention, progression through the food stages....all this and possibly more plays a part in stalls early on.

Given your lowish weight on surgery date, you've actually lost a fair bit of weight in the short time since surgery.

Assuming you are following all your post op guidelines you will be fine, weight loss will pick up again when your body has adjusted a little bit.

Note that going forward, as you commenced from a fairly low weight base, your weight loss is likely to be slow and lower than those who started with more weight.

That makes a lot of sense, especially with Water retention! Mine was extreme!!

Thank you @Hop_Scotch!!

2 hours ago, osherz said:

I know I’m still very early in my journey and there will definitely be more weight loss to come especially during the first 6 months; but I was wondering if anybody else might have experienced this and what they did to change that?

yes - probably 99% of us. If you spend more than a few minutes on this site, you will see that we get this question several times a week. In fact, I just did a search of this site for "the three week stall" for you (it usually happens during week 3, but not always - sometimes it's earlier or later). There are 17,501 posts on this. And no, I am NOT kidding. Here they are:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=three week stall

you don't need to do anything special. Just stick to your program, stay off the scale if you have to (it's going to last 1-2 weeks), and your weight loss WILL start up again. I promise!

3 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

yes - probably 99% of us. If you spend more than a few minutes on this site, you will see that we get this question several times a week. In fact, I just did a search of this site for "the three week stall" for you (it usually happens during week 3, but not always - sometimes it's earlier or later). There are 17,501 posts on this. And no, I am NOT kidding. Here they are:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=three week stall

you don't need to do anything special. Just stick to your program, stay off the scale if you have to (it's going to last 1-2 weeks), and your weight loss WILL start up again. I promise!

My question/post was not made to cause any inconvenience to anyone on the forum, i did not realize this was a very common question :) I am new here and yet to figure out how to navigate through the website, forgive me dear.

Many thanks for sharing the link and helping out! This will definitely help out. ❤️

12 minutes ago, osherz said:

My question/post was not made to cause any inconvenience to anyone on the forum, i did not realize this was a very common question :) I am new here and yet to figure out how to navigate through the website, forgive me dear.

Many thanks for sharing the link and helping out! This will definitely help out. ❤️

You haven't inconvenienced us, we only mention it to show you how common stalls are in the first few weeks, to show that you are not alone in this.

14 minutes ago, osherz said:

no inconvenience at all! Sorry if it came across that way - sometimes it's hard to tell someone's intentions or emotions in written communication. Ask away!

Well this was covered to the hilt

but let me add mix it up a little bump calories up a little then slam them down to break the stalls also intermittent fasting can break em also

4 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

You only have to read about half the posts here to realise that is very common to stall in weight loss in the early weeks.

4bqs3p.jpg.843634d0302d1a15e9e33d51c6efda54.jpg

16.5 pounds in less than 2 weeks is pretty good if you ask me, especially for someone with your BMI (since you don't have as much to lose as most of us, you should expect your weight loss to be a bit slower). To put it in perspective, my surgery was 3 weeks before yours and I have only lost 16 pounds so far -- and my surgery weight was 60 pounds heavier than yours. I hit the 3-week stall right on schedule and only today lost 0.8 pounds after 6 consecutive days at the same weight.