Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Not sure how having several degrees relates to the discussion, but then I only have one.

Me, too. I guess that makes us inferior enough, lol.

2 hours ago, summerset said:

Me, too. I guess that makes us inferior enough, lol.

evidently that poster doesn't know many of us. Several of us "several degreed" people are on here... Not sure how this really matters, though.

Edited by catwoman7

7 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

Yes, health concerns are a very good reason for her as she has statistically better health outcomes being between 19-24.99. I have several degrees and pretty much argue from a position called fact. This posters feelings are valid and don’t shame her for going for it!

btw - no one on here has argued with the fact that a normal BMI is between 19-24.99. Anyone halfway aware knows that. We are trying to reassure someone who made it to a 25.5 BMI that she's not a failure. Far from it - she's a huge success. The fact is that the average loss for a WLS patient is about 70% of excess weight. And depending on which research study you read, only 10-15% of us make it to a normal BMI. So she's done better than at least 85% of people who've had weight loss surgery.

Edited by catwoman7

@JMA2019 : I’ll give another POV: I get wanting to lose a few extra pounds. I sometimes feel this way, and I KNOW this is ridiculous because I KNOW I don’t need to. I chalk it up to the occasional low-self esteem days or to some yearning for the good old days of weight loss when I was getting immediate feedback results from my actions and had a seeming total control of my body. I know, kinda weird.

Maybe ask yourself what exactly you are scared of and you can start the process of letting go of some baggage.

Good Luck!

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

btw - no one on here has argued with the fact that a normal BMI is between 19-24.99. Anyone halfway aware knows that. We are trying to reassure someone who made it to a 25.5 BMI that she's not a failure. Far from it - she's a huge success. The fact is that the average loss for a WLS patient is about 70% of excess weight. And depending on which research study you read, only 10-15% of us make it to a normal BMI. So she's done better than at least 85% of people who've had weight loss surgery.

Well said, I'd also argue that the OP has likely already reached this magical 19-24.99 range when factoring in the extra weight of any lose skin they may have. BMI is also a pretty poor metric, I think it's a little silly to be so stringently exacting with such an inaccurate measurement to begin with. If people want to be splitting hairs over whats a healthy body composition, you'd need a DEXA scan

1 hour ago, Pckeys said:

Well said, I'd also argue that the OP has likely already reached this magical 19-24.99 range when factoring in the extra weight of any lose skin they may have. BMI is also a pretty poor metric, I think it's a little silly to be so stringently exacting with such an inaccurate measurement to begin with. If people want to be splitting hairs over whats a healthy body composition, you'd need a DEXA scan

true - before I had a DEXA scan about three years ago, I thought I had another 15 lbs or so to go. Nope. My body fat was 22% - normal, but on the low end of the normal range for a female. The technician - and my PCP - both said I was done losing weight. That "fat" I saw was just extra skin.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:14 PM, JMA2019 said:

I’m 11 months post op. I’ve lost about 80 pounds since surgery. I currently weight 167-169, at 5’8. I have been going up and down a couple of pounds for the past month or so. No matter what I do I can’t get lower. I’m scared that this is it. Has anybody experienced this at this stage? Hoping it’s just a plateau and not the end of the loosing game for me.

I totally understand. I can go up to 155 and be within normal weight range, but I FEEL much better at 144. My clothes fit better, I have more energy, and I just feel better in general. I could go below 130 and still be in "normal" range, but I know that is way too thin for ME. 144 is like my perfect spot. My goal was 149, but I truly feel better 5 pounds lighter. The ideal weight will be different for everyone. Use the tools like IF to go a little lower if you want. Monitor all your intake, get all your Water, get enough sleep, and be sure to keep exercising. Don't cheat on junk, fast, or processed food. This is the time to truly maximize your new lifestyle changes and pound them into habits. Make the most of every day of this first year! The pounds will come off a lot slower the closer you get to goal, but if you are consistent, you can get there.

I could never understand thin people when they would complain that they gained 5 pounds and felt bad. Now I get it. I can physically feel those 5 pounds now, and I know I feel better without them. :)

Edited by AZhiker

On 8/15/2020 at 4:20 PM, tarotcardreader said:

But bmi 19-24.99 has best health outlook so original poster should be allowed to reach for it 🍀

not anything to do with post, but i love your screen name...

On 8/17/2020 at 2:36 AM, summerset said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. She is and you are - and so are all the others on this board. If OP only wants to be cheered on, an internet board is the wrong place to be. There will be critical voices and one has to deal with them, too.

I sure wish this was true..... One day people on here are very encouraging and supportive then you say one thing they don't like and bam... you are an outcast... I have seen it done to many people... myself included.

I do agree, she and everyone are entitled to their opinion. She may suffer from what a lot of people do, body dysmorphia..... I do, i still see the 232lbs woman in the mirror sometimes even at a size 0

Everyone has an opinion about Everything -- and on a site about weight loss and how much we all weigh .... well everyone is going to have their own opinions about that too. Aside from height and weight, there ARE other issues that we often do not pay attention to - pre-existing medical issues, medications that are taken on a daily basis, medications that are taken during through out the year due to chronic issues that crop up and become acute. Another major issue can be age and stage of life. Excess skin and fat pockets that do not go away....

To the Original Poster - Congratulations on losing so much weight, and at arriving at a healthy BMI. Hopefully you have consulted with your doctor and had labs drawn to check on your Vitamin and trace mineral levels and that your diet and vitamin requirements are being met. Your doctor or dietitian should be or great help to guide you to the optimal weight for you !! Again congratulations and much luck !

5 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

I do agree, she and everyone are entitled to their opinion. She may suffer from what a lot of people do, body dysmorphia..... I do, i still see the 232lbs woman in the mirror sometimes even at a size 0

As I said: loose skin is a huge mindfuck. I wonder how I will feel after plastics.

However, I don't have that problem with looking at a BMI 46 woman in the mirror but I sometimes feel horribly fat. Whenever I feel horribly fat I get in front of the mirror and take a look at myself (fully clothed though). This works especially good when looking into reflecting surfaces like e. g. glass doors when I'm standing next to someone else and can compare my frame to the other person to put things into perspective, doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman or if the person is thin or fat.

18 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

That "fat" I saw was just extra skin.

That's what the plastic surgeon and bariatric surgeon at follow-up recently said to me. As I said: loose skin is a huge mind f*ck.