Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss following VSG

No such thing as losing too fast... Everyone is different.. I lost over 150lbs in just 8 months now been maintaining that for almost 3 months and feel amazing... But some ppl worry about excess skin.. again I think I was lucky..

59 minutes ago, Takoda said:

Hmmm. I hope I’m not losing too fast too soon. My weight on the day of surgery was 261.2 and now it’s 225.2 8 weeks out. Should I be concerned?

When was surgery and how much are you eating?

59 minutes ago, Takoda said:

Hmmm. I hope I’m not losing too fast too soon. My weight on the day of surgery was 261.2 and now it’s 225.2 8 weeks out. Should I be concerned?

When was surgery and how much are you eating?

4 hours ago, Takoda said:

if you're following your surgeon's plan, you're good. As others have said, people lose at all different rates due to all different factors, most of which you have limited or no control over. If you're following your surgeon's plan, then that's the one factor (other than activity level), that you DO have control over. Be glad that you're one of the fortunate people who lose weight quickly.

Getting in enough Protein, fluids and keeping up with Vitamins and minerals is important. As long as you are doing that, and your doctor is happy with your blood work - YOU ARE GOLDEN !!

Take care, and be well !!!

The chart is AVERAGE and very few people are actually average. On the bell curve, that is like "C" grade in class. There will people who achieve and others underachieve. It just gives a ballpark estimate of what average person might expect based on thousands of patients having VSG. It does not take into account many factors like age, gender, BMI, length of time overweight, genetics, metabolism, medications, physical/health limitations, social issues, marital status, etc.

Everyone's journey will be different even under strict laboratory contol. So this isn't a chart to be used to grade anyone.

Outside strict laboratory controls, few will follow this table. Some live alone, some have family eating regular meals, some have to prepare meals for family but must eat differently. Some are working full time with the added stress of rearing children. Some have enormously stressful lives while others are pretty comfortable most days. Some have existing physical/health issues that will not go away even with weight loss. Some have financial pressures. Hope you get the idea. Adult identical twins won't lose at same rate.

The first three months after surgery is the most unpredictible. Some will recover quickly and have no problems progressing to regular food. Some will struggle with constant nausea, problems progressing to regular food, difficulty swallowing, pain in chest after each swallow.

The same goes for end result and ability to maintain. No one should be judged for any reason. We all had a reason we needed surgery and surgery itself is just a tool, not a cure.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

7 minutes ago, over65 said:

The chart is AVERAGE and very few people are actually average. On the bell curve, that is like "C" grade in class. There will people who achieve and others underachieve. It just gives a ballpark estimate of what average person might expect based on thousands of patients having VSG. It does not take into account many factors like age, gender, BMI, length of time overweight, genetics, metabolism, medications, physical/health limitations, social issues, marital status, etc.

Everyone's journey will be different even under strict laboratory contol. So this isn't a chart to be used to grade anyone.

Outside strict laboratory controls, few will follow this table. Some live alone, some have family eating regular meals, some have to prepare meals for family but must eat differently. Some are working full time with the added stress of rearing children. Some have enormously stressful lives while others are pretty comfortable most days. Some have existing physical/health issues that will not go away even with weight loss. Some have financial pressures. Hope you get the idea. Adult identical twins won't lose at same rate.

The first three months after surgery is the most unpredictible. Some will recover quickly and have no problems progressing to regular food. Some will struggle with constant nausea, problems progressing to regular food, difficulty swallowing, pain in chest after each swallow.

The same goes for end result and ability to maintain. No one should be judged for any reason. We all had a reason we needed surgery and surgery itself is just a tool, not a cure.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

^^^ totally agree with this!!

Whew this chart just made me feel a lot better. I felt like I was loosing slow as well. I will be 5 weeks post op this Wednesday and I’m down 28 pounds.

5 minutes ago, MrsStill0505 said:

Whew this chart just made me feel a lot better. I felt like I was loosing slow as well. I will be 5 weeks post op this Wednesday and I’m down 28 pounds.

that's above average, actually.... I think people's expectations are influenced by shows like "My 600 lb Life", but you have to keep in mind that those people start out WAY heavier than the average WLS patient. 15-25 lbs the first month is pretty average (some lose more....some less...but that seems to be the normal range)

Sorry I think it's just my personality I have not had alot of social interactions before... I suffer from anxiety too..
I dont know why i find this hilarious [emoji23] so because u never had a friend, and u have some mental issues, u can't reason what is right and wrong. What to say and what not to say

Sent from my SM-N970U using BariatricPal mobile app

I may be an outlier...
Started process at 308 (bmi of 41). Sleeved on 6/22 at 286. Last I weighed myself on Friday (4.5 weeks post op), I was down to 244 (after a stall for 1.5 weeks at ~250). Not saying this to boast; I don't think I'm doing anything different than anyone else. My main point is that everyone loses weight differently. I fully expect my weight loss to slow down significantly, while others' weight loss will be accelerating.
39 year old male, BTW.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Do u exercise

1 minute ago, anniedebbie said:

Do u exercise

Not really, besides some 10 minute walks.

I know I say this all the time (as do several other members on this forum), but here I go again: Everyone has to remember we are all so very different and have different circumstances that will affect our individual weight loss.

Comparing total pounds lost is deceiving as a myriad if different factors affect this. People who are heavier in the onset will generally lose more total pounds.

If you MUST compare (and we all know that we shouldn’t!) compare percentages and/or BMI changes. A 300lb person losing 25lbs in the first month is mathematically the same as a 200lbs person losing 16lbs. Same goes with a 6 foot tall person vs. someone who is 5’3”. Add in gender, medical history and amount of weight loss before surgery, etc., and the formula gets even more complicated.

In the long run, (i.e., average the percentage changes over a course or say, a year), one will often find (if one more or less sticks to plan) that most people will end up with the same numbers, in terms of percentage weight lost. Of course, there will be outliers.

It’s hard, but try to remember that this is about you, and you alone. The determination of your success is not dependent on the numbers of others.

I know, easier said, right? Just do the best to u can. ❤️