Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss following VSG

Was encouraging to realize despite my slow weight loss, I am on target. I weighed 211 on day of surgery. I am 8 weeks postop and my weight today is 190.2 pounds. Those weighing 200 pounds on day of sugery weighed 184 on average at 3 months. So I will quite likely to weigh below 184 (6 pounds to go) at 3 months. I need to remember that those much heavier at time of surgery show faster weight loss in the first 3 months. So I am encouraged. Hope some of you find this table helpful. 2020-07-23_09_32_22.jpg.7afbe8d94d2c52295fbec5aac102067c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

While I realize no two people are the same (and I'm sure some folks might not like this chart..), I LOVE having an idea of what's possible (hopefully even probable!) - I'd love to see how others further into this journey have fallen into this chart.

Your weight loss is not slow at all given your lower start weight. People have unrealistic expectations of bariatric weight loss based on what they may have seen on television or on forums, what they forget to do is account for their own personal circumstances: weight loss immediately prior to surgery, surgery day weight, age, gender, activity levels, medical conditions medication, hormones, Fluid intake, calorie and Protein intake etc etc etc

Yeah obviously higher starting weight will be different..

I guess I'm one of a kind I started at 322 and got to 165 within the first 9 months :)

Wow, I thought I was discouraged when I got up this morning, but now, after seeing the chart above, I am even more discouraged with my weight loss. I’m doing everything right so I don’t know what’s going wrong. I am 7 weeks postop and have only lost 24 pounds. The odd thing is my weight loss really slowed down once I started exercising a couple of weeks ago.

😢😔

51 minutes ago, Luv2cruz said:

Wow, I thought I was discouraged when I got up this morning, but now, after seeing the chart above, I am even more discouraged with my weight loss. I’m doing everything right so I don’t know what’s going wrong. I am 7 weeks postop and have only lost 24 pounds. The odd thing is my weight loss really slowed down once I started exercising a couple of weeks ago.

😢😔

that's about where I was when I was seven weeks postop, too, but I ended up losing over 200 lbs (100% of my excess weight) (I remember losing 16 lbs the first month and thought I was a hopeless case....but...no!)

your rate of weight loss is influenced by many factors, many of which you have no or limited control over at this point (or ever...) (age, gender, metabolic rate, genetics, starting BMI, whether or not you lost weight prior to surgery). What you DO have a lot of control over is activity level and commitment to your clinic's food plan. So as long as you are really committed, the weight WILL come off, whether fast or slow. I was a very slow loser from the get-go, but I stuck to my plan pretty much 100% that first year (and I still do to a large extent, but I've become a little looser since getting into maintenance). I firmly believe that it's your level of commitment rather than your rate of weight loss that determines your ultimate success. So don't worry about how fast or slow you're going. If your weight is trending downward, you're good. And just know that it's commitment that makes the difference - NOT how fast/slow you're losing. I was behind the curve my entire journey - but I made it all the way down to a normal BMI.

Edited by catwoman7

On 7/23/2020 at 9:41 AM, over65 said:

Was encouraging to realize despite my slow weight loss, I am on target. I weighed 211 on day of surgery. I am 8 weeks postop and my weight today is 190.2 pounds. Those weighing 200 pounds on day of sugery weighed 184 on average at 3 months. So I will quite likely to weigh below 184 (6 pounds to go) at 3 months. I need to remember that those much heavier at time of surgery show faster weight loss in the first 3 months. So I am encouraged. Hope some of you find this table helpful. 2020-07-23_09_32_22.jpg.7afbe8d94d2c52295fbec5aac102067c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, I have to constantly remind myself that I am not going to drop the weight as fast as people with a higher BMI. Seeing people lose so much weight rapidly makes me jealous - I am not going to lie.

I read someone else's post that said the benefit of slower weight loss is less loose skin... so maybe you can keep that in mind when you get frustrated.

Thank you for the chart -- that was helpful. I am screenshotting to keep as a reminder.

16 hours ago, New&Improved said:

Yeah obviously higher starting weight will be different..

I guess I'm one of a kind I started at 322 and got to 165 within the first 9 months :)

OMG.. Congratulations! That is amazing!! Good job!

1 hour ago, Luv2cruz said:

😢😔

I am 8 weeks and have lost 26 lbs, so we're about even on how much we have lost in almost the same time period! I get discouraged too, but now I realize that it is normal. We just have to be patient.

51 minutes ago, Lanie992 said:

OMG.. Congratulations! That is amazing!! Good job!

Thank you it just takes alot of commitment and hard work :)

Guess I'm lucky also with minimal skin issues but I'm young and drink a ton of Water. Just keep positive and focused.

Starting weight and your height and BMI are all a part of figuring out where you will end up. I started at 5'3"; 54 years old and 320 pounds. After a year, I could never get under 170. But I was really happy with that. I put back about 8 to 10 pounds that second year..... and then....

Experienced a tough few years these past 7 or 8 years and gained back to 220 pounds. (STILL 100 pounds lighter !)

Took the last year and attacked it - slowly, and carefully - now I am 64 years old, 5'2" and 181 pounds.

I reset my goal as 175. I would be pleased to be between 175 and 180. Age adjusted BMI will be overweight, but both my doctors and I will be pleased with that. And yes, I am saggy and baggy. But I do not think elective surgeries are in my future. Need new knees.

Frankly, I am thrilled with myself this year. I will have lost my regain. I will be back to having lost basically 140 pounds.

Think about all you have accomplished !!!

Maybe I missed something but they don't seem to take height and therefore BMI into consideration? Interesting.

14 hours ago, BriarRose said:

Starting weight and your height and BMI are all a part of figuring out where you will end up. I started at 5'3"; 54 years old and 320 pounds. After a year, I could never get under 170. But I was really happy with that. I put back about 8 to 10 pounds that second year..... and then....

Experienced a tough few years these past 7 or 8 years and gained back to 220 pounds. (STILL 100 pounds lighter !)

Took the last year and attacked it - slowly, and carefully - now I am 64 years old, 5'2" and 181 pounds.

I reset my goal as 175. I would be pleased to be between 175 and 180. Age adjusted BMI will be overweight, but both my doctors and I will be pleased with that. And yes, I am saggy and baggy. But I do not think elective surgeries are in my future. Need new knees.

Frankly, I am thrilled with myself this year. I will have lost my regain. I will be back to having lost basically 140 pounds.

Think about all you have accomplished !!!

I'm male 6ft0 started at 322 got to 165 then lowest of 162.8 but still around 164-165 most days...

I'm amazed you only got to 170 for your height & by the BMI chart you should be able to get to like 140? But I guess everyone has different metabolism...