Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish you had known

3 hours ago, Embody said:

Thank you, everyone, for your honest responses. I am considering gastric bypass and know it is a big life decision. Is there a best place to post questions about the mental/emotional piece?

One of the best places I found to help make decisions on what surgery to have and what to expect was YouTube. Just search "weight loss surgery" and there will be a large amount of content on the subject. I watched one yesterday from somebody I haven't watched in awhile because he started doing what seemed like pyramid schemes. It touches on some of the replies on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

One of the best places I found to help make decisions on what surgery to have and what to expect was YouTube. Just search "weight loss surgery" and there will be a large amount of content on the subject. I watched one yesterday from somebody I haven't watched in awhile because he started doing what seemed like pyramid schemes. It touches on some of the replies on this thread.

Yes, he is a ******, but he has some valids points, up until he started pushing MLM at least.

Dr Matthew Weiner is also a good source.

On 06/26/2020 at 07:53, sweetsmith78 said:

At the time of sleeve gastrectomy, mean BMI was 43 and 78% of patients were female. They had a mean follow-up of 5.9 years. Overall, Peterli and colleagues found that the average excessive BMI lost after 1 year was 61.5%, and then 61.1% after 2 years. By 5 years, average excessive BMI lost was 57.4%, they reported.Jul 17, 2013

Can you show data for year 6+ by chance? If the trend holds,the number will continue down one would guess.

@sweetsmith78 I offered my feedback to the question posed by this thread. My perspective is as a person having had the sleeve for 6 years.

You are free to take it or leave it, but others might value the input of those of us having much more experience in this. 🤷‍♀️

I wish I would have been told about: (1) the post-op nausea and constipation, (2) how sore my throat and esophagus would be, (3) how I would not progress to pureed foods as soon as others, (4) how my liquid intake should be 4 ounces, slipped remarkably slowly, (5) how I could not possibly down 64 ounces of Water and Protein right away, even when sipping at 4 ounce increments throughout the day, and (5) how I should have initially purchased liquid vitamins and Patches rather than chewable ones, because I could not swallow them.

Posted (edited)

How about a positive answer? I wish I had known how much fun being a normal weight would be!😁

Or that I can finally look good in clothes!

Edited by JRT Mom

On 6/28/2020 at 8:24 PM, Erica McKinley said:

5) how I could not possibly down 64 ounces of Water and Protein right away, even when sipping at 4 ounce increments throughout the day, and (5) how I should have initially purchased liquid vitamins and Patches rather than chewable ones, because I could not swallow them.

I agree with these for sure. I wish I would have purchased liquid vitamins.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:55 AM, JRT Mom said:

I wish I had known how much fun being a normal weight would be!😁

Yessss! I love this positive answer and I totally second it.

I just had my surgery 6/30/2020. First 2 days were tough but since everything has been textbook.

The one thing I wish I knew ahead of time was how easily I would get tired. I understand this is normal but I expected to regain my normal energy pretty quickly. I had to tell myself today to just relax and enjoy the afternoon naps.

30 minutes ago, MSStoney said:

I just had my surgery 6/30/2020. First 2 days were tough but since everything has been textbook.

The one thing I wish I knew ahead of time was how easily I would get tired. I understand this is normal but I expected to regain my normal energy pretty quickly. I had to tell myself today to just relax and enjoy the afternoon naps.

My surgery was 6/29. Naps are good!