Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 02/26/2021 at 13:00, BigSue said:

Woah... I just updated my weight on my profile, and I knew that would put my BMI under 30, but I still cried a little when I saw 29. This is the first time in my adult life that I am not obese! I can hardly believe it!

Wow congratulations 🎉 I’m so happy for you!

On 02/26/2021 at 12:00, BigSue said:

Woah... I just updated my weight on my profile, and I knew that would put my BMI under 30, but I still cried a little when I saw 29. This is the first time in my adult life that I am not obese! I can hardly believe it!

That is so awesome! I’ve loved seeing my BMI go down, and I think that’s going to be a HUGE milestone for me to get under 30. I can understand the emotion.

Great job!!!

How is everyone doing. This chat has been very quiet for along time. Well we are all now 1 year out. I’m doing ok. Still not where I thought I would have been but I guess it’s at least healthier. I am 101 lbs down. I still want to loose another 35 lbs but am seriously loosing hope. The scale just doesn’t want to move for months now. Very disappointing. I had a total hip replacement one month ago so I can’t really do crazy exercise right now but all in all I am doing fine. So how is everyone doing? Hopefully everyone is doing good and is healthy n safe where ever you are.

I’m glad to see this thread popping up again! I was reading it OBSESSIVELY this time last year. 😄 I’m doing well…far better than I imagined I would do. I’m still glad that I’ve done the surgery. I’m down 145 lbs from my pre-surgery weight of 299, and surpassed my original goal. I’ve reset my goal to 145 lbs, so just another 8.4 lbs to go. I honestly don’t know if I’ll hit my new goal, but I’m okay with that.

I feel good, I’m off all prescription meds, my resting heart rate is waaaaay down, and a 4-mile daily walk has become a pleasurable habit. I love that my legs look muscular, that I can shop for regular sized clothes and can tie my sneakers without a fuss.

I still am very uncomfortable with having non-healthy foods in the house, and don’t trust myself with tempting foods being close by. I worry about ‘boredom eating’ so I’m working on that. I am trying to adhere to the philosophy of making good choices most of the time. I am in the process of figuring out what “most of the time” means to me.

I’m working from home so it’s been a slow process of encountering my friends and coworkers. I can see the shock in their faces at my weight loss and just say that it’s been a ‘year of health’ for me. I am continually surprised at all the diet advice / opinions I get from people now, and so much of it inaccurate! I’ve been told that walking for exercise is useless (!), metabolism never changes (I am 55 and it most certainly has), the types of calories consumed doesn’t make a difference (I wish that was true so I could go back to eating more carbs!). It’s all stuff that we’ve all heard before. I’m thankful that I’ve had the past year to log my food and figure out for myself what works.

@IWantTheDream I know a hip replacement is in my future, and I worry about that. When did you know that it was finally time to get it done?

Hello fellow losers! You know how you read that Sleevers lose 80% of their desired weight...well, that's me! I would LOVE to lose another 10-20 pounds, but I'm down 82 pounds and feel GREAT! I did not work out and still don't...but I have been so happy with my results. I keep saying that I am going to get serious and start tracking again...and lose a few more pounds, but then something comes up (like visits, vacations, happy hours, dinners out) and I am just happy to stay below 200 pounds! One-derland!

Hello all! Nice to see this thread active again!
I'm doing well. I'm down 173 pounds since my pre-surgery weight of 393. I just got to 219 and I am really looking forward to getting to onederland! My goal is to get to 193 but I'd like to get down to 170 or less ideally. I couldn't be happier so far though and I feel amazing! I don't do any crazy exercise, but just walking and being more active overall. I just turned 50 and I feel like I'm 25 now! [emoji2]
Sounds like all of you are doing great!!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 08/22/2021 at 08:33, Lillimint said:

I’m glad to see this thread popping up again! I was reading it OBSESSIVELY this time last year. 😄 I’m doing well…far better than I imagined I would do. I’m still glad that I’ve done the surgery. I’m down 145 lbs from my pre-surgery weight of 299, and surpassed my original goal. I’ve reset my goal to 145 lbs, so just another 8.4 lbs to go. I honestly don’t know if I’ll hit my new goal, but I’m okay with that.

I feel good, I’m off all prescription meds, my resting heart rate is waaaaay down, and a 4-mile daily walk has become a pleasurable habit. I love that my legs look muscular, that I can shop for regular sized clothes and can tie my sneakers without a fuss.

I still am very uncomfortable with having non-healthy foods in the house, and don’t trust myself with tempting foods being close by. I worry about ‘boredom eating’ so I’m working on that. I am trying to adhere to the philosophy of making good choices most of the time. I am in the process of figuring out what “most of the time” means to me.

I’m working from home so it’s been a slow process of encountering my friends and coworkers. I can see the shock in their faces at my weight loss and just say that it’s been a ‘year of health’ for me. I am continually surprised at all the diet advice / opinions I get from people now, and so much of it inaccurate! I’ve been told that walking for exercise is useless (!), metabolism never changes (I am 55 and it most certainly has), the types of calories consumed doesn’t make a difference (I wish that was true so I could go back to eating more carbs!). It’s all stuff that we’ve all heard before. I’m thankful that I’ve had the past year to log my food and figure out for myself what works.

@IWantTheDream I know a hip replacement is in my future, and I worry about that. When did you know that it was finally time to get it done?

I am glade you are doing fantastic. I finally made up my mind to get the hip replacement because I could barely stand for more then a half hour without being in a lot of pain and it was effecting how much I could exercise. I was getting cortisone injections in the one hip four times a year and my other hip was very quickly because much worse so I had gotten two injections in that one as well and in January I got no relief from the injections so I said ok time to try because I didn’t go through the Bariatric surgery just to be stuck in a power chair for the rest of my life. So one year and one week later after Bariatric surgery I was in surgery again . I was scared to death. Much more scared the withe VSG surgery and hiatal hernia surgery. However I have to tell you I had the hip replacement on July 13; 2021 at 7am. I was up n walking two and half hrs later and home in my bed by 5:30 pm. I was in house Physical Therapy next day. Driving myself to PT the following Monday which was only six days later and back to work two weeks later. I only needed pain meds for two days. I used a walker for about a week maybe week and a half and Cain for another week and nothing after that. I have PT three times a week. I have to tell you this was wayyyy easier surgery n recovery then my Bariatric surgery. I ham hoping my other hip stops falling apart now that it’s not compensating for the other one. I’m 49 yrs old so not young but I would definitely say don’t fear the hip replacement surgery because you have most likely gone through rougher surgery with Bariatric. Great job so fare . It was nice hearing from you.

I have to admit I don’t like my weight right now. I was at 182lb one day of hip surgery and was back up to 195 after surgery but my surgeon said it was swelling n Water retention. I am today down to 188lb so I am going back down and there is still a good amount of inflammation on my hip n thigh so I am confident he was right. I still unfortunately see myself the same way I saw myself in the mirror at 286lb however I do know mentally I am smaller. I can wear a size 12 jeans and size large or x large shirt. I was at The Hella Mega Tour the other night and I was excited not only because of seeing my favorite but I was at the t shirt stand and for once in my life I knew I could pretty much have any T-shirt I wanted because for once I didn’t need some crazy 3x or 2x shirt n still worrying that it would not fit the way I like. I think I may never like my reflection in the mirror but I do know I am in a better place health wise then before. I am so happy for everyone. Keep on doing good and don’t be strangers 🙂

I have to admit I don’t like my weight right now. I was at 182lb one day of hip surgery and was back up to 195 after surgery but my surgeon said it was swelling n Water retention. I am today down to 188lb so I am going back down and there is still a good amount of inflammation on my hip n thigh so I am confident he was right. I still unfortunately see myself the same way I saw myself in the mirror at 286lb however I do know mentally I am smaller. I can wear a size 12 jeans and size large or x large shirt. I was at The Hella Mega Tour the other night and I was excited not only because of seeing my favorite but I was at the t shirt stand and for once in my life I knew I could pretty much have any T-shirt I wanted because for once I didn’t need some crazy 3x or 2x shirt n still worrying that it would not fit the way I like. I think I may never like my reflection in the mirror but I do know I am in a better place health wise then before. I am so happy for everyone. Keep on doing good and don’t be strangers [emoji846]
I just went to a concert and was able to buy a shirt too! I mostly wear xl now but they didn't have an xl in the one I wanted so got large and it fit. I couldn't believe it! It is so cool to be able to buy a concert shirt!
It sounds like you are doing great with your weight. You're almost back down to where you were before your hip surgery. That is a big surgery to go through!
I know what you mean about still seeing a bigger person when I look in the mirror.
It is hard to look and the mirror and not see the bigger person, but sometimes I get a glimpse of myself and don't recognize myself. And just remember, those smaller clothes don't lie!!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app