Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance approval-Stressed out!!!

While in the process of doing my requirements for WLS my husband was laid off 3 weeks ago, and we are on his insurance. All I had left to do was my mental health evaluation, finally got that done this past Monday, just waiting on the report to be sent to my Doctor, then they will send for approval. We are able to keep Cobra coverage until August. I am so afraid they won’t approve me just because we are Cobra, what if they just think they can hold out until we are no longer on the plan!!!

I am an employee benefits professional and if you elect COBRA you should be fine. The employer is required by law to treat COBRA participants exactly as they do actively employed participants. You might have some hiccups from it going from active to COBRA coverage, just in terms of one ending and one starting, depending on how quickly you elect the coverage and make your payment. That is easily sorted out once they receive your COBRA Payment and reactivate your coverage. I am SO SORRY that your husband lost his job. That just makes it all so much more stressful.

Thanks, I didn’t want there to be a gap, so we didn’t wait for paperwork. My husband got on the phone the week it happened & got us the website & we signed up online & paid,, so our effective date was in the system before the other ended. If this doesn’t work out & we end up having to go on my insurance, it excludes WLS. I know this corona virus has effected so many people & it’s stressful times!!!

You should be just fine!! Take a deep breath and keep us posted when your surgery is scheduled! :)

You will be fine!! My insurance expired 12/31 (b/c my employer was changing plans) and I had my surgery on 12/18, and had no problems getting it approved. It would be considered "bad faith" to deny someone who is on COBRA, etc. Best of luck to you!!

Thanks!!! I know we are blessed that the company is still going to pay their portion for a few months & we just have to pay what was being taken out of my husband’s checks, there is no way we could have paid full Cobra. So hopefully it’s all ment to be!!!
Thanks for the reassurance!!!

And the wait begins!!! Submitted for approval yesterday!!!

Fantastic!! Hopefully that approval comes quickly!!! I had mine in a few days once it was submitted. It’s moving forward!! Yahoo!!

Well so much for being submitted last Friday. The insurance coordinator couldn’t even figure what # to call to start the process!!!
I guess they don’t deal with Anthem BCBS ever. I had Anthem email her the # this afternoon, so we shall see. Between Covid & all the delays, my 6 continuous months of a weight loss program within the last 2 years may be out of date!!!