Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One port, two ports, three ports, four....

Lisa I am so glad you finnally got answer. Cannot believe a culture was not done before you had to suffer through all this. You are a trooper

Praying for your speedy recovery

Goll Lisa, I feel so bad for you with all the problems you've had. But, finally you've gotten the answers need to heal and go on with your lap band journey. I've probably never told you this, but your posts here have been such an inspiration to me, and on days when I'm down and out, you bring a smile to my face ( your sick humor reminds me so much of myself it's scary!) So, hang in there, and "happy healing.

Lisa -

You know I have no words to express how grateful I am that you are finally correctly diagnosed, and that erosion is NOT a foregone conclusion for you. Thanks so much for your call - xxoooxxoooxxoo

Penni, in case Lisa (in her drugged stupor) forget to tell you, hugs and kisses for being such a saint and taking good care of our girl. You're the best! Happy b-day, Mr. Penni!! :D

Some more NSAID info:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=640 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>http://arthritis.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coreynahman.com%2Farthritis_drugs_database_nsaids.html

Arthritis Drugs Database

What is a Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug?

As their name implies, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (or NSAIDs, as they are commonly called) are medicines that block or inhibit the body's inflammation process without the use of cortisone or other steroid drugs. The most commonly used NSAID's are aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen.

What is a COX II inhibitor?

COX II inhibitors are a relatively new family of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDS). Though not necessarily more effective at reducing inflammation and pain than older, traditional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, they represent an advance over the older drugs because they are believed to cause less stomach irritation. However, they are still classified as NSAIDS. Some doctors recommend that you not take them on an empty stomach.

There is a controversy surrounding the use of COX II inhibitors. Some scientists believe that their use is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attack. However, this is still just a theory. If you have concerns regarding COX II inhibitors, discuss them with your doctor.

Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug Precautions

All NSAID drugs (even the newer ones like Vioxx and Celebrex) have the potential to cause irritation, ulceration, bleeding and perforation of the lining of the stomach.

For this reason, it is important that you never take any NSAID drug on an empty stomach. NSAID's should be taken with food, preferably after a meal.

Mixing Coumadin (Warfarin Sodium) with NSAID drugs such as aspirin or ibuprofen can cause serious complications.

Do not mix any NSAID drug with blood-thinners such as Coumadin (Warfarin Sodium) unless your doctor gives you specific instructions on how to do so.

Some NSAID drugs have been known to cause drowsiness. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for their opinion and recommendations regarding this matter.

What about Drug Interactions?

NSAID drugs are known to have few clinically significant drug interactions.

Some researchers feel that NSAIDS can weaken the effect of certain blood-pressure medications, but this data needs more extensive corroboration. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for their opinion and recommendations regarding this matter.

This database is arranged alphabetically by brand-name since that is how most doctors and pharmacists know them.

Anaprox (Naproxen Sodium) Generic Available

Drug Family = Arylacetic Acid; Roche

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices (Source A) | Compare Prices (Source :D

Anaprox DS (Naproxen Sodium) Generic Available

Drug Family = Arylacetic Acid; Roche

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices (Source A) |Compare Prices (Source :D

Ansaid (Flurbiprofen) Generic Available

Drug Family = Phenylalkanoic Acid Derivative; Pharmacia

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices (Source A) | Compare Prices (Source :D

Arthrotec (Diclofenac Sodium + Misoprostil)

Drug Family = Benzeneacetic acid Derivative plus Syntheric Prostaglandin E1 Analogue; Searle

Note: Known to cause severe fetal harm; must not be taken by pregnant women

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices (Source A) | Compare prices (Source B)

Bextra ( valdecoxib; pharmacia)

Drug Family = Cox II

Official Website

General Information

Prescribing Information

Medline

Compare Prices

Cataflam also Voltaren (Diclofenac Potassium) Generic Available

Drug Family = Benzeneacetic acid Derivative; Novartis

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices (Source A) | Compare Prices (Source B)

Celebrex (Celecoxib)

Drug Family = COXII Inhibitors; Pharmacia

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Clinoril (Sulindac) Generic Available

Drug Family = Indene Derivative; Merck

Merck PI - PDF; PDF File - you need Adobe Acrobat to open this file;

[ Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Software for Free]

General Information

Medline

Daypro (Oxaprozin) Generic Available

Drug Family = Propionic Acid Derivative; Pharmacia

Prescribing Information

Medline

General Information

Compare Prices (Source A) |Compare Prices (Source B)

Disalcid (Salsalate) Generic Available

Drug Family = Salicylate; 3M

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices (Source A) |Compare Price

Dolobid (Diflunisal) Generic Available

Drug Family = Salicylate; Merck

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

EC Naprosyn (Naproxen Sodium) Generic Available

Same active ingredient as Naprosyn; tablet has a special coating

To protect the stomach.

Drug Family = Arylacetic Acid Derivative; Roche

Prescribing Information

General Information (for Naprosyn)

Medline

Feldene (Piroxicam) Generic Available

Very Strong; Never take on empty stomach; take with food.

Drug Family = Oxicam; Pfizer

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices

Indocin, Indocin SR (Indomethacin) Generic Available

Very Strong; Never take on empty stomach; take with food

Indocin SR is a sustained release version of Indocin.

Drug Family = Indole Derivative; Merck

Prescribing Information

Merck PI - PDF ; PDF File - you need Adobe Acrobat to open this file;

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices

Lodine , Lodine XL (Etodolac) Generic Available

Lodine XL is a long acting version of Lodine.

Drug Family = Pyranocarboxylic Acid Deriv; Wyeth

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Mobic (Meloxicam)

Drug Family = Oxicam Derivatine; Boehringer Ingelheim

Prescribing Information - PDF ; PDF File - you need Adobe Acrobat to open this file; [ Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Software for Free]

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices (Source A) |Compare Prices(Source B)

Motrin (Ibuprofen) Generic Available

Drug Family = Propionic Acid Derivative; Pharmacia

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices For Generic Ibuprofen

Naprelan (Naproxen) Generic Available

Same active ingredient as Naprosyn; tablet has a special delivery system.

Drug Family = Arylacetic Acid Derivative; Elan

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Price

Naprosyn (Naproxen) Generic Available

Drug Family = Arylacetic Acid Derivative; Roche

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Price for Naprosyn

Orudis, (Ketoprofen) Generic Available

Drug Family = Propionic Acid Derivative; Wyeth

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices

Oruvail (Ketoprofen) Generic Available

Drug Family = Propionic Acid Derivative; Wyeth

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Price for Orudis

Compare Price for Ketoprofen

Relafen (Nabumetone)

Drug Family = Naphthyalkanone; SmithKline

Prescribing Information; PDF File - you need Adobe Acrobat to open this file; [ Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Software for Free

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices

Tolectin, (Tolmetin Sodium) Generic Available

Drug Family = Pyrroleacetic Acid; McNeil

McNeil PI- PDF ; PDF File - you need Adobe Acrobat to open this file;

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices

Trilisate (Choline Magnesium Trisalicylate) Generic Available

Drug Family = Salicylate; Purdue Fredrick

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Vioxx (Rofecoxib)

Drug Family = COX II Inhibitors; Merck

Vioxx.com - official website; prescribing info, etc

Prescribing Information

General Information

Medline

Compare Prices (Source A) | Compare Prices(Source B) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Penni rules! And Dr. Billy's giving you the real answers you desperately needed. He sounds like a dream doc.

Let's all send Lisa/DeLarla lots of healing vibes, prayers, thoughts, and hopes -- whatever religious, spiritual, or humanist impulses we might have -- toward her rapid healing and triumph with the band. Ommmm....

Well, thank God you have finally found proper medical attention!! Nobody should ever have to go through what you've been through. Hope your healing is fast and painless!!!

Miss Penni, you are truly an angel!

HI Lisa,

I go away for a few days and you start creating havoc all over again! LOL I am so glad that you went to see a competent doc and that you are in good hands. Sorry I wasnt here to hold yours, but I have been out of town since mid last week. Just checking messages. Hugs from Texas and I am glad you are doing better.

Babs in TX

334/185/170

6/23/03

Lisa,

I'm glad to hear that you're doing better now! Thank you for keeping us all informed about possible complications.

Gosh, see what happens when I've not been lurking and actually working. Penni, you are Lisa's angel. She is so blessed to have a friend like you. Dr. Billy sounds like a caring, concerned surgeon and I am glad that Lisa finally connected with him.

Therefore Lisa, I expect you to be a good bandster, heal quickly, and do exactly as Dr. Billy suggests. You will be at goal before you know it.

I can't wait to see you both again.

I snuck on John's computer but he needs it back... but quickly, Billy was pleased with the wound after removing 6 feet of packed gauze. I'll write more later.

By the way, he told me to avoid aspirin as well, because plain ol' aspirin is also a stomach irritant. He said we need to stick with Tylenol. Will write later, thanks again!

Dr. Rumbaut gave me paracetemol, which worked OK -- but I don't think it's available in the US without a prescription. Glad the wound passed inspection. Hope you have more good news soon.

EVERY bandster should know that ASPIRIN is the #1 NSAID!

NO aspirin, guys, without your doc's express instructions, and make sure he follows you. NSAIDs cause stomach problems in NON-banded people!

What is a Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug?

As their name implies, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (or NSAIDs, as they are commonly called) are medicines that block or inhibit the body's inflammation process without the use of cortisone or other steroid drugs. The most commonly used NSAID's are aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen.

Becky, please let me know what your doc says about ulcers leading to erosion. I'm almost sure that I've seen warnings about ulcers on several occasions. Billy asked and answered so many questions that I'm overwhelmed with information. Plus, I had quite a bit of anesthesia, morhphine and pain meds in me that a lot is still fuzzy.

Thanks to everyone for being here. I really do have big alligator tears running down my cheeks right now. I have not seen the wound. It is too disturbing to me. Every time I think about it, I get goose bumps and queazy. My friend will be here this afternoon to do her first unpacking and repacking. I wish I had half the stomach as her.

By the way, I have made my own diagnosis as to how my ulcer-type-bruise got inside my stomach. I might be wrong, but it occurred to me that I often take pills dry. I often forget to take my meds, so I just swallow and run out the door. It's really important that drugs don't sit inside the pouch or stomach like that. So from now on, I'll be sure to wash them down with a lot of Water.

Lisa, Billy did tell us that Ulcers can sometimes lead to erosion and that is why we should be careful with stomach irritants. I agree with you that the pills should not just lie in the stomach like that. Most medications suggest you drink at least 8oz of Water with each pill.

it is interesting about what you sat about ulcers because according to my surgeon and I quote him "Even though medication has been know to cause stomach ulcers, it has not been related to band erosions into the stomach". so many different theories, i gues we all tend to believe our own surgeon though

I don't agree that we should believe our own surgeon. I think we need to collect as much data as possible from all the surgeons, and then make our best choices. It seems pretty reasonable that we should avoid stomach irritants considering the size of our new pouch is so small. I obviously don't know enough about erosion to make opinions! But there are just too many opinions on the topic to listen to only one doctor. Better safe then sorry till more studies prove the theory either way.