Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2020 surgeries

I had my surgery on June 26th and came home today. The gas pain is very uncomfortable and the biggest incision hurts when I twist or cough. They didn’t give me anything for the gas pains, so not sure if I am able to take gas-x or not.

1 minute ago, Mebadwow said:

I had my surgery on June 26th and came home today. The gas pain is very uncomfortable and the biggest incision hurts when I twist or cough. They didn’t give me anything for the gas pains, so not sure if I am able to take gas-x or not.

I bought some chewable gas tablets and it helps. they said as long as it's chewable or drinkable its ok.

4 minutes ago, Solo4ever said:

I bought some chewable gas tablets and it helps. they said as long as it's chewable or drinkable its ok.

So not the pill form? Guess I will have to rough it tonight and try to find chewable gasx tomorrow. Thank you

Just now, Mebadwow said:

So not the pill form? Guess I will have to rough it tonight and try to find chewable gasx tomorrow. Thank you

heating pad was a big relief too for yummy and the gas pains in my back.

1 hour ago, Mebadwow said:

My doc told me to take the chewable Gas-X. I had my surgery on the 23rd. They gave me Gas-X in the hospital. But at home, I took 1 tab in the AM and one in the PM. Maybe you can call an emergency line and get in touch with your Dr.

So I am 3 days post op... and yesterday was awful!!! I knew i needed a small hernia repair... but it was actually a large hernia!! Dr said he had to pull my stomach out of my diaphragm and reposition my esophagus and then stitch everything in place.
I kept liquids down just fine in the hospital... but when the good surgery drugs wore off... the nausea was uncontrollable and everything made me vomit, including the pain and nausea meds. Call the dr office and they said i may need to go to the er... i told them i just needed something to control the nausea and the vomiting would stop. They called in liquid med and it worked.
Today was soooo much better. I never really had the gas pain, but i could keep the pain meds down to control the incision pain and the hernia repair pain. I got about half my liquid and half my Protein in... so i will take it!!

Hey all! I had sleeve surgery on 6/25, tomorrow I see my surgeon for my 1 week post op and I’m containing the urge to weigh myself until then. 

I spent 1 night in the hospital, was able to get in enough fluids and was discharged the next afternoon. I live about an hour away from the hospital where I had surgery and summer traffic in the area doubled the time it took to get home. I was glad to have had a pillow in the car (after reading another person mention it to help going over road construction & such) it definitely helped with the stop and go traffic car jerking my hubby fought to drive me home. 

Everyday has gotten a little better with everything from pain to sleep, I slept for 5 solid hours last night before waking up (it’s killing me to sleep on my back, I’m a side sleeper normally). 

My incisions have been the most tender things once the gas pain dispersed. Mainly my large incision and the one to the right of it. But they are healing well with no heat, inflammation or anything concerning. 

I’m not taking real walks yet but have made sure to walk around the house often (every hour or so when awake) But today felt like a giant leap in energy as I got an itch to organize and unpack some things in my kitchen and did it before getting too tired out. 

Makes sense I get worn out quick as I’m on a watered down juice diet since surgery. But after my checkup tomorrow I will start 1 week of shakes on Thursday, followed by 2 weeks of soft foods, before moving into solid foods after my 1 month check up. 

Important side notes- I had my first BM 4 days after surgery. I attribute this to adding daily liquid Probiotics to my regiment (add to my first Water in the morning) when I came home (it was cleared through my program) & it helps promote healing. After all 70% of your immune system comes from the bacteria in your gut good,bad, or ugly. 

-I also dilute concentrated Protein with some water to get some protein in even while drinking mainly juice and I think this has helped with everything from having some energy to not feeling nauseous. 

Both of the above products are non-gmo/vegan/organic/no sugars/no sugar alcohols in them.

I can’t wait to see the scale at my doctors tomorrow 😍

On 6/27/2020 at 7:21 PM, Solo4ever said:

surgery twin! I went home next day barely as they were concerned with the severity of spasms in my pouch. but incould keep Water down so I got to go home. the pain from the gas and pain on my left side incision is the worst! i feel like I sleep non stop. everything makes me exhausted. even talking lol!

Hey Surgery Twin! How are you feeling?
At day 7 I am still feeling pain, but managing it. My incisions are scary to look at, but healing nicely. I am able to (almost) get my 60g of Protein in (slow, slow, slow). Jell-o has been my friend.

I am pretty moody, with some emotional swings, still sleeping a lot and not exactly on my game. Patience is what I need.

2 hours ago, Lenneigh said:

Hey Surgery Twin! How are you feeling?
At day 7 I am still feeling pain, but managing it. My incisions are scary to look at, but healing nicely. I am able to (almost) get my 60g of Protein in (slow, slow, slow). Jell-o has been my friend.

I am pretty moody, with some emotional swings, still sleeping a lot and not exactly on my game. Patience is what I need.

I am better a little bit every day. my left side still hurts but I am able to get down 60 oz of Fluid a day including 2 Protein Shakes without too much trouble. still really tired! and lots of gas still out both ends lol. i have my 1 week checkup today so they can check my incisions. I have 7! I wasn't expecting that many!

I had mine on the 25th of JUNE!

It is July 2020 and waiting for my surgeon meeting to discuss Optifast and surgery date. Anxious, nervous, scared. Dumping symptoms is to be avoided of sugar and fat. Eating slow till liquid to ease the food down and remembering to watch liquid intake before and after consuming food according the the various stages as suggested. Good luck everyone with your wt loss journey. Stay strong, stay healthy and don't forget to take your required Vitamins.

I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and i'm having trouble getting enough calories. I have 2 Premier Protein shakes and 1 Protein Drink. I struggle getting Water down. I try to eat and it seems like it gets stuck and i start burping and have thrown up twice (gross Im sorry). Im only down 20lbs and I feel like I'm doing all of this wrong.

What are you guys eating and drinking in a typical day? Grateful for any advice....

So we must be surgery twins because I’m 3 1/2 weeks out as well and everything you mention is where I am or experiencing. I’ve lost 20lbs. Hooray for us cause that’s a lot in three and a half weeks. I have had good results with salmon and mash potatoes (small portions of course), applesauce is a life saver, apple juice ( helps with constipation) chicken n rice Soup, chicken noodle, Peanut Butter even grits with a soft scrambled egg.. the regular foods are not our friend so stick to softer foods that don’t get stuck in your chest (which is what it feels like). I also walk in the house when it feels like I need to release the gas(burp) after eating.. So try what you can until you find your fit.. good luck VSG sister!