Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Cow! I haven't been on Bariatric Pal in couple of years (or more). One of the big reasons I dropped off the online forums is that I had adopted a WFPB diet, and not only was that completely out of line with the mainstream WLS thinking, but I didn't even like to hint about it as I would get extremely negative feedback. Imagine my shock when I logged back in to Bariatirc Pal today to see a vegan forum with a WFPB post. My mind was blown to say the least, LOL.

Times are changing. A WFPB diet is more popular nowadays than it was several years ago.

Plus, with too many patients not experiencing sufficient long term weight loss it's obvious that the "ideal post WLS nutrition" hasn't been invented so far.

9 hours ago, summerset said:

Times are changing. A WFPB diet is more popular nowadays than it was several years ago.

Plus, with too many patients not experiencing sufficient long term weight loss it's obvious that the "ideal post WLS nutrition" hasn't been invented so far.

I have found that WFPB, combined with IF (intermittant fasting - I do 8/16) is the ideal eating plan for me. I can eat as much as I want, never feel hungry, and still keep my weight stabilized. I have plenty of energy and mental sharpness, and although weight loss did not drop my cholesterol at all, WFPB dropped it 70 points withing a few months, along with significant lowernig of my LDL and triglycerides. I feel healthier now than ever before in my life.

Posted (edited)

I admire people for their commitment to WFPB. I'm not exactly a junk food plant based eater but I eat way too much fake meat/fish, also Protein powders (at least lately).

ETA: Do you eat cashew based cheeses, btw?

Edited by summerset

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, summerset said:

I admire people for their commitment to WFPB. I'm not exactly a junk food plant based eater but I eat way too much fake meat/fish, also Protein powders (at least lately).

ETA: Do you eat cashew based cheeses, btw?

I make my own cheesy sauce that is great with Pasta or veggies like broccoli. I do not use the processed products, as I don't think they taste that good, they are expensive, and I try not to use processed food products as a rule.

To make a cheesy like sauce, I soak cashews for 30 to 60 minutes in hot Water. Then I put them in the blender with a cooked yellow potato, soy milk, a small avocado, and sometimes some tofu.. Add a good amount of nutritional yeast and some miso paste, pepper to taste. Blend until smooth. The avocado taste does NOT come through, but the fat makes it "creamier."

I will admit that the Beyond Beef burgers are pretty tasty. I might have one of those once a month or so, but not often. My Protein comes from a wide variety of legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains, tofu, tempeh, soy milk/yogurt or Nancy's Oatmilk yogurt which is pretty high in protein. I easily get 60 grams a day. Sometimes I will add a half scoop of protein powder to a smoothie or yogurt bowl.

Edited by AZhiker