Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2020 Surgery Folks Come On in!

Just had my surgery Monday, 3/9. Feeling like I don’t know anything despite reading, watching videos, attending nutrition classes, etc.

My Dr does full liquids after 24 hrs. and I’m doing ok, although already had some hunger which I thought wasn’t supposed to happen for months?

Also, don’t know how many calories and liquids to shoot for by sipping. Took me all day to sip in the recommended meals which was 350 cals and not enuf Water.

I bought the post op diet kit from my dr since I knew I’d be too tempted if I had to make food. Smells from the kitchen when my family cooks is a bit of a trigger.

Any advice is very welcome!

4 minutes ago, Stinkerbells2ndact said:

Just had my surgery Monday, 3/9. Feeling like I don’t know anything despite reading, watching videos, attending nutrition classes, etc.

My Dr does full liquids after 24 hrs. and I’m doing ok, although already had some hunger which I thought wasn’t supposed to happen for months?

Also, don’t know how many calories and liquids to shoot for by sipping. Took me all day to sip in the recommended meals which was 350 cals and not enuf Water.

I bought the post op diet kit from my dr since I knew I’d be too tempted if I had to make food. Smells from the kitchen when my family cooks is a bit of a trigger.

Any advice is very welcome!

I wouldn't worry about calories during this period, but the Water is very important to prevent dehydration; the Protein gives you the energy. What I've read from others is that the fullness feeling starts when you are eating again, but some have said that it's been no difference to them. I think it takes a while for the body to adjust.

Had my bypass done Thursday, but now I’m plagued with nausea and heartburn. They won’t go away- had to stay another night. Everything else here is fine

@Stinkerbells2ndact I had my surgery on March 3rd and I too felt like I didn’t know anything. I kinda still do, more or less feeling my way through this.
I have started full liquids and I just started purée/soft foods the past couple of days. I’m going by what my dr told me and how my body feels. I’ve been hungry as well. Not like before surgery but I’ve been hungry.
I live with my family and they cook amazing dinners every night so I get it. I have found Premier Protein and fair life milk keeps me pretty full. I’m drinking Gatorade zero too and had some 1/2 juice and 1/2 Water today and that was pretty good! If you don’t have access to Protein Powder then Ensure Max Protein is my back-up.

You should be drinking 64 ounces or sipping. Water, Gatorade zero and whatever else your dr approves. As far as calories, I don’t think we worry about that part for a few more weeks. As long as we stick to what our new stomachs can handle, we’ll definitely be consuming far less calories than before surgery. I wish you best of luck!

We are nearly complete with the second week! Next week is week 3 and that week is for me -- and others in tow! Best wishes to all of us!

March 2 Skywolfe, Earthquake88, AnnieK1073, Rearguard, Slimmy-Mommeee, onmyway11 COMPLETE

March 3 Glannin, BigInJapan, Byrd0315, Katheryn0303, Tamarita, CammyC, Kristyle, mooki, Krimsonbutterflies, ChelleFord, sfreasier COMPLETE

March 4 lucia.vsg COMPLETE

March 5 KSMermaid, gucci2018, ERYNN123, gcampbell99 COMPLETE

March 6 Pansypicker, Amber77, LeeLee Luv COMPLETE

March 9 Angie526, AuntCyn, highlyundermedicated, Nette200486, Wendy128, new start21, COMPLETE

March 10 Confidently_Me, Nermada, Wellness Warrior, NewEnglanderGal, Amy Franks, finding.me, siracha, COMPLETE

March 11 MaineDoc, 3charrm, lily66, asnirak, stephaniiee_u COMPLETE

March 12 ronjsteele1, anyu3379, Jay2016, GAJeepgirl COMPLETE

March 13 Q75j25 COMPLETE

March 14 Amie

March 16 Armnee810

March 17 smile-everyday, jlow347

March 18 Mello1, Hop_Scotch, Teres36

March 19 medicpup2, MMurphy1015

March 20 JessicaMNCat, fiddlinjellybean, JLynnY, Casey2020

March 23 KingTeresa 2006, Believe0xandx0conquer, RPilch, susiie28

March 25 Sozamy

March 24 heavenlyscrts, jDubs, AngienHarry, SleeveCanadian, Learning2LoveTina, Melodyadea, Clorose5

March 26 Cia2020, OnMyWay1956, Marthalynn, richiewho

March 27 Ayemeeb, Eribur, Junesbaby2016

March 30 Stanlak, Starla K, Milly221, Dymin210, ebbii027

March 31 KhoricRitter

6 hours ago, sfreasier said:

Hi Everyone - March 3rd sleeve here. Turns out I am allergic to the incision glue and for three days I have been itching and burning like crazy! Taking benedryl and 1% hydrocortisone. Good news is I transitioned to smooth textures today. Ate 1/4 c egg whites for Breakfast and 3 oz. firm teriyaki Wildwood tofu for lunch. Was awesome to chew again. Didn’t feel full either meal, which scares me a bit because I still have no idea when to quit eating.

Sounds like contact dermatitis...when I get it, its very red, sometimes lumps and always insanely itchy. Hope you are over it soon.

My recovery was going so well they sent me home early! And I feel pretty much great so far. No trouble getting enough fluids, everything is going down nicely. I do feel like I can maybe eat/drink more than I should be doing, so I’ve started being more intentional about it. On 2-3 weeks of full liquid, and not feeling stoked about that, but I’ll get through it. No hunger yet, which is awesome. I didn’t make my Protein goal today, but my dr said for the first week the priority is Water, protein second, walking third. The gas pain after the surgery was pretty intense but was gone within about 24 hours. Now that I’m home my abdomen is a bit sore, but nothing i need more than Tylenol for. So that’s my update! I am loving going through this all at the same and getting different perspectives. Thanks you to everyone who is sharing!

Well, we are about to enter week 3 and congratulations to all of the March surgeries completed so far. Because I started my liquid fast on March 1st, I'm at day 15 and counting.

My surgery is 72 hours away. I do hope for the best and I'm trying to be as even-headed as possible. There is a lot going on in the world right now and I want to be, above all, safe.

So let's all hope for the best and continue to do our due diligence. ❤️

@stinkerbells2ndact- I am also feeling like I prepared a ton but now that I’m here I’m not sure I’m doing it right! My program told me the first priority is 64 oz of Fluid a day (which I have been ALMOST getting) and the second priority is 60-70 Protein, which I have not been getting close to. I could bit that if I HAD just the shakes all day, but I’d really like some variety in here! Plus, I’m confused about how much I should be eating at a time. If my stomach is the size of a thumb, and I should only be eating like 1/4 or 1/2 cup at a time why is it I can drink a whole shake in one sitting with no problem? And should I be limiting myself to the smaller amount even if I can have more? On the other side, I have no hunger at all, so I’m tempted to just do the fluids, like won’t that help me lose faster???? I prepared so much and now I just feel a little lost.

@asnirak I had bypass as well (revision) and I also question why it’s so easy for me to drink liquids! That said, I know from my last surgery that liquids go right through you, but also in the first weeks after surgery your stomach is quite swollen and sore, so it may not be able to indicate to you if you are having too much. Which is why it’s important to try to stick to recommended doses if possible. Another reason to do so is to prepare us in getting used to eating smaller portions, and to eating and drinking more slowly. Interestingly, my program has a more realistic liquid intake progression - 1.2L the first two weeks (about 5 cups), then 1.5 the next two, and then 2L (64 oz) once one month post-op hits. I found no problem getting my liquids in in the beginning, but now that I’ve added purées and soft foods I find it a bit more challenging.

9 minutes ago, asnirak said:

@stinkerbells2ndact- I am also feeling like I prepared a ton but now that I’m here I’m not sure I’m doing it right! My program told me the first priority is 64 oz of Fluid a day (which I have been ALMOST getting) and the second priority is 60-70 Protein, which I have not been getting close to. I could bit that if I HAD just the shakes all day, but I’d really like some variety in here! Plus, I’m confused about how much I should be eating at a time. If my stomach is the size of a thumb, and I should only be eating like 1/4 or 1/2 cup at a time why is it I can drink a whole shake in one sitting with no problem? And should I be limiting myself to the smaller amount even if I can have more? On the other side, I have no hunger at all, so I’m tempted to just do the fluids, like won’t that help me lose faster???? I prepared so much and now I just feel a little lost.

My instructions from my doctor were 2 oz of Protein Drink on the hour every hour and 2 oz of an approved liquid every 15 minutes after the top of the hour. That way you can get it all in.

1 minute ago, Rearguard said:

My instructions from my doctor were 2 oz of Protein Drink on the hour every hour and 2 oz of an approved liquid every 15 minutes after the top of the hour. That way you can get it all in.

Those instructions are for the first 3 weeks after surgery.

3 hours ago, Mello1 said:

Well, we are about to enter week 3 and congratulations to all of the March surgeries completed so far. Because I started my liquid fast on March 1st, I'm at day 15 and counting.

My surgery is 72 hours away. I do hope for the best and I'm trying to be as even-headed as possible. There is a lot going on in the world right now and I want to be, above all, safe.

So let's all hope for the best and continue to do our due diligence. ❤️

Good Luck!

Same here- to my surprise, I can drink liquids fairly quickly and eat S/F Jello and pudding with great ease.🤷‍♀️Thanks for reminder to sloooooow down!

20 minutes ago, Rearguard said:

Thanks for your input @asnirak and @Rearguard. Nice to know I'm not alone and questioning. I don't really have any trouble getting water/tea type drinks down. It worries me a bit that I can drink them pretty fast? Even the Dr. provided shakes are pretty liquidy and I can get 8 oz down w/in 30 mins or so. Hope that's not a bad sign?

Question: does the Water that it is in all these type of items count towards the water intake count?