Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's something you wish you had known before losing all the weight?

We are all working so hard on ourselves to have good health and a nice body. I have never lost a significant amount of weight before, but I definitely look forward to it. I want to keep up my appearance in the process. What advice do you have for beginners? Maybe something you wish you had known before the weight loss or maybe something that you already know and think it's worth sharing! I want to hear it all. I am personally really interested in ways to fight saggy skin, to keep my nipples pointing forward, and how to avoid the turkey neck once I lose this giant double chin of mine! 😂

For women, I have heard that buying a proper bra throughout your weight loss will help with your breasts' appearance. I don't know how true it is, do you? I personally can't wait to be able to find a bra that fits me properly and isn't some wacky size that's a nightmare to find!

Edited by BoredFatGirl

Good topic! Following 😁

:404_popcorn::404_popcorn::404_popcorn::404_popcorn::404_popcorn:

Getting out the popcorn--this should be a topic worth watching!!

I do wish I had been prepared for the saggy skin, particularly on my neck (which can't really be disguised).

The other big thing for which I was not prepared was the how much of my social life revolved around eating and drinking. It is still awkward to go out to dinner with people and only order an appetizer, with people constantly urging, "Oh, come on--one piece of cheesecake isn't going to make a difference--you are so thin!" I've also given up alcohol completely, and since we can't do carbonated beverages, that basically leaves tap Water as my drink of choice when everyone else is having wine or champagne. I don't mind, but I get tired of telling people I really don't want anything else, particularly when they don't know I've had the surgery.

4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I was not prepared was the how much of my social life revolved around eating and drinking.

I went to visit my family/friends over the holidays and realized this. I tried to stick to my diet, but I ended up caving and gaining all the weight I had got off before getting there. I am thinking that I will try to suggest things to do, like card games (instead of going out to dinner) or something else where our hands will be too busy for shoving food down our faces.

I do understand that this will happen regardless, though, and I really need to get myself more mentally prepared so I don't make the same mistake again!

4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I do wish I had been prepared for the saggy skin, particularly on my neck (which can't really be disguised).

I think I will end up needing some plastic surgery done there myself, but I have seen some who got quite lucky with their necks despite how large their double chin was prior. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.. Maybe I will invest in a bunch of turtle necks or some of those full neck necklaces (not actually sure what they are called 😅) until I can afford to have it 'fixed'.

Do you think the exercises for losing the double chin are usable for us? I'm not sure it would matter when there will be such a significant weight loss.

27 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

ZO skin health is my favorite for skin. I have a complete regiment with hard core products.

I am checking out their website now! Do you have a specific list you would care to share? I am around your starting weight, but a bit taller - that gives me hope for my tummy's sake! I'm willing to give anything a try!

I have also heard that derma rollers would help with the saggy skin. Maybe using that with some of the products you use now would be even more effective!

31 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

Stretch clothes are your friend atm. Rather buy some nice piece of clothing as a reward when you reach little targets.

Good call! I mainly wear dresses and leggings right now, but I think I may try to pick up sewing to see if I can make the dresses into smaller sizes - I just need to learn how to go about it first! Otherwise, I will probably stick to ole' reliable leggings and tank tops along the way. 😎

33 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

Don't obsess about the number on the scale.

Easier said than done, friend! I weigh myself every morning and my mood ends up being dependent on it. Today it said I gained 500g and I am pretty sad about that, even though its probably just Water weight since I went over my carbs limit yesterday. Though, when the scale shows I've gained instead of lost, I try to do better for that day. No bread/pasta for me today.. 😅

I went through a real low mood period post op where i cried a lot and felt very depressed. I thought id never enjoy food again.

My relationship with food is very very different now - things can be too sweet! Never thought THAT was possible, I hate meat, it makes me feel uncomfortable in my stomach and grosses me out. I dont generally enjoy food unless its actually something really really good. And i mentally have to know its healthy too or the joy is all gone.

Head hunger is 100% real and probably the most difficult part - even though i dont necessarily want food, when im bored i just eat. Ive learnt the way to help me say no to things is to think about their taste (weird concept i know!). For example, theres a chocolate cake on the table in the staff room I know what choc cake tastes like... so i dont need to eat it! Works well for me

5 minutes ago, Lyndor said:

I went through a real low mood period post op where i cried a lot and felt very depressed. I thought id never enjoy food again.

My relationship with food is very very different now - things can be too sweet! Never thought THAT was possible, I hate meat, it makes me feel uncomfortable in my stomach and grosses me out. I dont generally enjoy food unless its actually something really really good. And i mentally have to know its healthy too or the joy is all gone.

Head hunger is 100% real and probably the most difficult part - even though i dont necessarily want food, when im bored i just eat. Ive learnt the way to help me say no to things is to think about their taste (weird concept i know!). For example, theres a chocolate cake on the table in the staff room I know what choc cake tastes like... so i dont need to eat it! Works well for me

Completely agree with all of that. Well said!

19 minutes ago, Lyndor said:

Ive learnt the way to help me say no to things is to think about their taste

That's an interesting concept! I am normally pretty good in that regard when I am at home, but I do tend to have cravings when I'm out and see something I think is tasty (but know isn't healthy). I will try this out next time I run into this situation! Thank you!

Oh my! Thank you for all the information, @MsMocie! I see a dermatologist pretty often for my psoriasis. I will ask them for advice on my next visit to see what they think is best for my skin. I have a few products, but I don't have a regular regime set up at all! I really want to get focus on my skin more, especially as my psoriasis begins to clear up more.

3 hours ago, MsMocie said:

You'll also loose alot of hair. It's temporary and starts within 1-3 months and will last for 3-6 months. I use nioxin to stop it shedding and give the apperance of fuller looking hair.

I have heard about the Hair loss. I have really thick hair, so I am hoping it won't be too noticeable on me. My husband likes my hair long, but if it looks stringy and gross, then I will definitely consider cutting it (and possibly getting a wig for the time being). I hope I look alright with short hair, though! Thanks for the advice on the nioxin!

If you are like me, both taste in smell and taste buds will change.

I hope that they will change for the better. I would really like to feel more inclined to eat something on the healthier side after surgery!

Iced Water goes down more easily than tempered Water.

Ice water is my savior already! I am not a fan of any drink that's not already cold.

You won't see the change yourself in the mirror. I still see me, 40kg lighter not a change. Take pictures.

Great advice, honestly. I can never see the effect of weight loss on myself. I remember when I worked at a department store, I had lost a bit of weight, but couldn't see it myself. A co-worker eventually came up to me and said she could really tell, which made me feel great, but I would have loved to recognize the difference myself!

12 hours ago, Recidivist said:

The other big thing for which I was not prepared was the how much of my social life revolved around eating and drinking. It is still awkward to go out to dinner with people and only order an appetizer, with people constantly urging, "Oh, come on--one piece of cheesecake isn't going to make a difference--you are so thin!" I've also given up alcohol completely, and since we can't do carbonated beverages, that basically leaves tap Water as my drink of choice when everyone else is having wine or champagne. I don't mind, but I get tired of telling people I really don't want anything else, particularly when they don't know I've had the surgery.

Wow. I never realized that the sag can also happen on the neck. This is something I definitely have to watch for.

And food highly revolves around my family. I come from a very cultural background and we see food as a way to gather, share, and connect the family bond and strength. And to really think about it now, that is why alot of people in my island is big.

Edited by athea.lei

Great topic! Call me whatever you want to call me, but I'm slightly more worried about my appearance than the actual change in diet - the Hair loss, how to keep my skin as good as it can get, yes I know it'll be flabby but if I can do anything to help that out, I will! Maybe it's because I've had lapband prior and I'm converting to RNY as soon as insurance approves. Maybe it's just me.

51 minutes ago, athea.lei said:

And food highly revolves around my family.

It's the same in my family as well and the majority of us are overweight/obese, too. Literally all of our family gatherings have included food and rarely was any of it healthy. 😱